Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 12:37 PM

8,129 posts, read 4,030,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
No.

The entire issue in the Dobbs case was whether the Fed govt had the authority to make laws governing abortion.
Incorrect once again.

Quote:

Yes, it did. It blocked, and banned, the Federal govt from making laws about abortion.
Incorrect again.

Quote:
I see the leftist fanatics trying as hard as they can to avoid discussing this issue, as if that could change what the Court decided.
I'm as far from left as anyone gets. I'm mid-60s, I've voted in every election since I became age eligible, and not once in my entire life have I voted for a Democrat. Not. One. Time,.

Having said that, your assertion about SCOTUS blocking The People through their federal Elected Representatives in Congress enacting laws is, well, completely unsupported.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 07-01-2022 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 12:56 PM

24,094 posts, read 15,206,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
God help us if they are left to defend us. Most of them couldn't hit the broad side of a barn...while standing inside of it!

Old 07-01-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
One of many wonderful decisions this term for SCOTUS.
Without question, Roe v Wade was wrongly decided. Protestors say, effectively, "well, I want to be able to have an abortion" but that is a different question entirely from "Does the US Constitution, have an implied right to an abortion that is part of a right to privacy that springs from the First, Fourth, Fifth, Ninth, and Fourteenth Amendments?"

Roe held that the US Constitution does indeed find such an implied right. In the current case, SCOTUS said Roe was wrongly decided and no such implied right exists.

The current case is correctly decided.

A completely different question is, "Do The People Want A Right To An Abortion?" If so, there are a variety of methods for The People to enact such a right.

But that is a different issue entirely.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 07-01-2022 at 01:42 PM..

Old 07-01-2022, 05:03 PM

20,238 posts, read 9,157,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I have spent to much time in dc speaking to real experts to know I don’t know. I also know you don’t know and I probably have more experience than you.
I’m going to trust bidens team of constitutional experts know more than either of us.
they haven't steered him wrong yet.

Old 07-01-2022, 05:18 PM

35,803 posts, read 21,195,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Without question, Roe v Wade was wrongly decided. Protestors say, effectively, "well, I want to be able to have an abortion" but that is a different question entirely from "Does the US Constitution, have an implied right to an abortion that is part of a right to privacy that springs from the First, Fourth, Fifth, Ninth, and Fourteenth Amendments?"

Roe held that the US Constitution does indeed find such an implied right. In the current case, SCOTUS said Roe was wrongly decided and no such implied right exists.

The current case is correctly decided.

A completely different question is, "Do The People Want A Right To An Abortion?" If so, there are a variety of methods for The People to enact such a right.

But that is a different issue entirely.
That is correct. In Fl our constitution forbids any changes to a woman’s right to privacy in this issue. The court had blocked DeSantis but late - the suits are in route.

The only thing was taken was the right to the privacy of her abortion. Abortion was legal before the AMA pushed to ban it. Maybe will have to go there.

Old 07-01-2022, 05:20 PM

35,803 posts, read 21,195,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
they haven't steered him wrong yet.
Obama is an expert in the constitution. Let everyone Now study it, and maybe we become better Americans.

Old 07-02-2022, 02:54 AM

38,652 posts, read 26,462,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Obama is an expert in the constitution. Let everyone Now study it, and maybe we become better Americans.
Says who?

Old 07-02-2022, 05:42 AM

5,066 posts, read 6,374,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Says who?
University of Chicago Law School, ranked in the top 5 of US News law school rankings.

Old 07-02-2022, 07:14 AM

6,523 posts, read 6,726,878 times
Quote:
No.

The entire issue in the Dobbs case was whether the Fed govt had the authority to make laws governing abortion.

And the answer was very clearly NO.

Yes, it did. It blocked, and banned, the Federal govt from making laws about abortion.

I see the leftist fanatics trying as hard as they can to avoid discussing this issue, as if that could change what the Court decided.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Incorrect once again.

Incorrect again.
Mogul, could you explain why you think Roboteer is incorrect? I've been confused by all of this, as I thought (although perhaps mistakenly) that the Dobbs decision said that any regulating or allowing of abortion is to be done by the states.

Thanks.

Old 07-02-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Mogul, could you explain why you think Roboteer is incorrect? I've been confused by all of this, as I thought (although perhaps mistakenly) that the Dobbs decision said that any regulating or allowing of abortion is to be done by the states.

Thanks.
In Roe v. Wade, the question was, "Does the US Constitution have an implied right to an abortion that is part of a right to privacy that springs from the First, Fourth, Fifth, Ninth, and Fourteenth Amendments?"

Roe held that the US Constitution does indeed find such an implied right. In the current case, SCOTUS said Roe was wrongly decided and no such implied right to an abortion is found inside the right to privacy that springs from the First, Fourth, Fifth, Ninth, and Fourteenth Amendments. <==Note the Tenth Amendment is not part of SCOTUS consideration.

In the current case, Roboteer mistakenly applies the Tenth Amendment. Indeed, Roboteer incorrectly frames the question before the court in Dobbs:

Quote:

And the answer was very clearly NO.

Roboteer's framing of the question above (and his assertion of the answer) is incorrect - it was never about the Federal Governments' authority to make laws governing abortion. Indeed, the entire Dobbs case says just the opposite: because there is no implied right to an abortion, the Federal Government can make lots and lots and lots of laws governing abortion, just as the Federal Government can make lots and lots of laws regarding many things in our life such as tailpipe emissions from cars and tracking cookies in web browsers selling heroin to elementary school kids and everything else you can imagine.

The text of the Dobbs decision states clearly:

Quote:
Held: The Constitution does not confer a right to abortion; Roe and Casey are overruled; and the authority to regulate abortion is returned to the people and their elected representatives.
See the bold phrase in the Dobbs decision. Roboteer mistakenly asserts that means The States. It does not. It means precisely what it says: the people and their elected representatives, and that means both the State legislatures and the nation's Congress.

A bit farther along in the text of the decision is the following:

Quote:
Like the infamous decision in Plessy v. Ferguson, Roe was also egregiously wrong and on a collision course with the Constitution from the day it was decided. Casey perpetuated its errors, calling both sides of the national controversy to resolve their debate, but in doing so, Casey necessarily declared a winning side. Those on the losing side—those who sought to advance the State’s interest in fetal life—could no longer seek to persuade their elected representatives to adopt policies consistent with their views. The Court short-circuited the democratic process by closing it to the large number of Americans who disagreed with Roe.
In the bold phrase above, SCOTUS shows the major problem with Roe - it prevented The People through their Elected Representatives from having a say in the matter.

Indeed, NOWHERE in Dobbs does SCOTUS say or imply anything remotely similar to "the States and only the States can make laws regulating abortion, and Congress, even though it represents The People, is enjoined from making laws about abortion."

Last edited by moguldreamer; 07-02-2022 at 09:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies