Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 06:02 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,178,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
...Energy dissipated in the target is what matters ...
On that thought, I highly recommend taking a look at the Ballistics By The Inch website - pay particular attention to their muzzle energy vs barrel length graphs; for myself, I'd want around 300 ft-lbs minimum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 06:07 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Very true. A lot of people take it as gospel that a more massive bullet is automatically a better killer. Energy dissipated in the target is what matters and the kinetic energy equation (k = 0.5 x mass x velocity squared) is pretty unambiguous. Velocity. Velocity. Velocity. Just make sure it's a round that doesn't go in one side and out the other otherwise what's the point? A fast hollow-point .22 mag round is a formidable thing.
A .22 rimfire is better than nothing but it is common to have misfires especially with bulk made ammo, also .22 fouls the firearm quickly and many .22 caliber firearms are jamomatic because.

My opinion is AADAD is correct in picking a .38/9mm caliber, and getting competent with it.

Old 07-01-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So tell me, if you're concerned about the lack of a mechanical safety on a semi-auto, just where did you find a revolver with one? In addition to the "trigger safety" tab on the front of the trigger, Glocks (and most other striker fired guns) have a long, slightly heavy trigger pull-exactly as a revolver does. If someone is going to be negligent and irresponsible with one, they are just as likely to the other. I would say that a DA revolver is a bit heavier than a striker gun, but it's typically a matter of degree.

My other issue with revolvers-the barrel is located higher above the gripping area, leading to more muzzle rise (flip) than most semis, all else the same. In addition, the grip doesn't have a "beavertail" and provides less leverage to control recoil, at least in a compact gun, as well as often a shorter grip.
I have nothing against revolvers but with all that has happened since 2020 and mass gun and ammo buying, manufactures are trying to crank out the most common calibers 9mm , .45 and .223 which Americans have a endless craving for which means manufactures have not been loading other calibers as much, which when a newbie goes to buy a handgun and can't get ammo the situation is moot. 9mm will be available almost always right now even if it costs twice as much than before. .38 special?, might not find it local and if you do it is three to four times cost than 9mm.

Old 07-01-2022, 06:17 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Will keep all up to date. Thank you I learned quite a bit here.

Old 07-01-2022, 06:34 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,178,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I have nothing against revolvers but with all that has happened since 2020 and mass gun and ammo buying, manufactures are trying to crank out the most common calibers 9mm , .45 and .223 which Americans have a endless craving for which means manufactures have not been loading other calibers as much, which when a newbie goes to buy a handgun and can't get ammo the situation is moot. 9mm will be available almost always right now even if it costs twice as much than before. .38 special?, might not find it local and if you do it is three to four times cost than 9mm.
well - there's always 9mm revolvers to pick from; S&W, Taurus, Ruger, Charter Arms, and Rock Island all have such offerings

Old 07-01-2022, 06:37 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I have been accustomed to rifles and shotguns. Yesterday I went to my first handgun class. The instructor asked me why I was there. I explained that we were out to lunch and a light went off in my head and I felt unprotected. We are most time on an island off the coast of Washington. It's very peaceful. I can't imagine I would ever "need" a gun here. But when we ferry over it's America with it's choices and risks.

The class was interesting about posture safety and risks and how to mitigate those realities. For my gun range I opted for the Sig Sauer 365XL 9mm. It felt good in my hand, compact and lightweight. I loaded the magazine finally using a device to help me load. The instructor reviewed my instructions I cocked and aimed. I can only describe it as an explosion. Recoil was noticeable but fine. She said I closed my eyes once. LOL. Next to us was a man shooting a large handgun with 323 ammo>? The concussive effect was palpable.

I had a red dot on the Sig and it helped conform my shots to the center with movement downward which she said was pretty standard. My overall impression was getting that much "bang" with a small semi automatic handgun.

I did not really like the experience to be quite honest. Not the principle of the carrying a gun, but the power of that little hand cannon was not really fun. I've always been a good shot. I will continue to move forward to learning and purchase and more training To my surprise it's Kinda a necessity these days.

Feedback welcome but without crap
1. you are probably female

2. a 9mm is a SMALL caliber and is not a "cannon"

3. It's great you made the effort to go to a class

4. If shooting is not fun for you, get a taser and mace for personal protection or bear spray.

Old 07-01-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
well - there's always 9mm revolvers to pick from; S&W, Taurus, Ruger, Charter Arms, and Rock Island all have such offerings
That is true but will probably be special order as there is not such a demand for them compared to a semi auto, and will typically cost twice as much. A newbie will probably walk into a store and want to physically feel and try out a gun instead of taking a chance on a special order and realizing they don't like it.

Old 07-01-2022, 06:42 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,120,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Handgun for protection, what scenario do you expect to use your gun?
sitting in a car, at home at night? A wild west shootout 30 paces or more away?

Will you have time to draw your weapon, under what circumstances would you pull your pistol?
You going to draw down on a perp like at "high Noon"? Then accuracy is not about precision shooting, it is how many shots sent in the the direction of the perp assuming he is firing at you and both are in the open.

State laws re mag cap?????

Caliber and bullet construction must be part of the equation! Bullet construction, bullet construction.. consider surroundings. bullet pass thru the sheetrock, cedar clad walls and kill your neighbor or the kid in the next room??

A cousin's nephew got shot 9 times with a 9mm at close range. Lived to tell the story. Kate Steinle killed with one shot from a distance.

A 22 is a deadly weapon at close range. Bullet retains its energy and travels along bone to body parts unknown.

Can't go wrong with a 45 cal. Again depending on your physical condition and where you think you might most likely use the gun. Cop snipers consider caliber, bullet construction dealing in citified areas. Ideally you get to choose which pair of shoes you want to wear for given occasion. You going make a selection based on the situation you will most likely encounter or expect an extended shootout while hiding behind the horse trough?? You going to be aiming or blasting in the general direction and hope you get in a lucky shot?
Want a one size fits all?

You expect a drug crazed mad man at close range???? go with the 45! depending on bullet construction, can transmit enough energy to stop a locomotive.

Whatever choice, become intimate with it. Don't treat it like a spare tire you haven't seen in 10 years.

As with bow hunting, it is all about shot placement. Think bullet construction and shot placement.

A 22 lr or 22 mag, now available in a pistol, would be a good choice. Get shot in the face or good parts with a 22 and you are going to lose concentration. If you are composed enough, time for followup shots.

Cops choose calibers which may be used under varied circumstances, one size fits all. Likely bullets chosen for minimal tissue damage. You care about how much of the perp's tissues you might damage????

Don't overlook a 22. Can carry more ammo, less weight, less recoil allows better accuracy for followup shots. Promotes frequent use.
I'm gonna disagree here...I'm a huge fan of .45 but, second shot speed is much slower with a .45 than a 9mm.

In a defensive situation, I want that second shot as fast as possible.

Now, I'm a big guy and can handle the .45 well so that's one of my carry guns, but for most people it's not a good choice. Even though I can handle the .45 well, I'm still faster with a 9mm for second shots...it's simply a matter of reset...and 9mms reset much quicker.

Old 07-01-2022, 06:49 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I thought there was an internal drop safety near the striker to prevent that. Everything I've read seems to confirm that. I could be wrong.
Glock says it's about drops and also to help ensure the lateral pressure on the trigger does not make the gun go bang.

Old 07-01-2022, 07:00 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Long story short of it, I cannot analyze a school shooting outside my official circles. A primary reason being......I wasn't there.

In any event, the basic point is that in order to hit only your intended target, there is no other way to have that ability than practice, practice, practice correctly.

Well, I certainly hope my possibilities don't become realities but they are there, never the less. From rich heiress who lives alone to opinionated woman to old enemies of my own to old enemies of my family.....at least. Who knows, it could be as simple as some land baron.
mmmmmm. From my experiences anything is possible at any time. Usually when you're thinking everything is just peachy keen ducky fine. Then BOOM. The ball drops. From a totally unexpected source and direction round and round it goes. I had an old (quite far back) enemy come at me one day when I was at the fair/rodeo with my family.

It wasn't an armed rowdy dow but sometimes I wish it had been. He would be looking at the world from the other side of the grass. As it is he could pop up again any time...that is after and if they let him out of prison. Stranger things have happened I guess. I do not go much of anywhere unarmed especially as things are with this nutso world. And I've had to do some adjustment in response tactics. Currently I'm without a foot and ankle on my strong side of course. I have to use a walker to get around. The upside to that is just running to the quick mart is like doing 400 pushups so I have gained a lot of upper body strength.

My amputation was well below the knee so I wrap and pad it with Ace bandage and the heavy shrinker sock the prosthetic gal has me in and then put a hard cap knee pad over that. What I've figured out and practiced on is a quick drop to my knees. Subsequent draw from there. I use a 1911 so presentation is quite fast. With a frontal adversary the walker actually gives me a leg up as a barrier/shield. Best I can do right now but sometimes that's all you can do.

At least I do know how I have to and will react if I have to. Hope and pray I don't have to. It's a very vulnerable feeling not having two feet under you. I practice the knee drop a lot. Gotten pretty good at it. That hard cap pad is a must. It's just a workman's pad like floor install guys wear. I had the set from may plumber days.

At least I'm not totally defensless. Makes for a better state of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies