Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 08:08 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times

Advertisements

The only thing I can find small enough to conceal carry is my Ruger 380. But the recoil is bad enough to throw you off after the first shot.
I can drop it into my front jeans pocket in a sticky holster and it is not noticeable. Can't find anything else any where near that small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2022, 09:01 AM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Yeah, I'm not convinced about the lateral pressure part. The trigger is going to need rearward pressure to activate the sear and just about any rearward pressure is going to depress the trigger lock thingy. That picture of the Glock in the leather holster with the folded bit of leather near the trigger illustrates what I mean. It would have pulled the trigger with or without the little slotted button. I'm not blaming Glock (for this). It would have done the same to just about any trigger with a light enough pull trigger. The only thing it would prevent is if the object coming into contact with the trigger was narrow enough to only touch the very sides of the trigger face and not the slotted button in the center. Seems like something I wouldn't want to depend on happening "just so".

Which brings up another thing. Never depend on a safety of any kind. They fail. They can be a nice backup but nothing replaces trigger finger discipline.
I agree that trigger discipline is the best safety available.

I'm not a fan-boy but I've owned several Glocks, I have three now, given it's purposes Glock's trigger safety works very well. In dry fire condition the triggers will not break with lateral pressure.

Old 07-02-2022, 03:43 PM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
A few years back when I got a Nevada concealed carry permit, I had to qualify at the range with each gun I anticipated I would carry. Shooting a Glock or H&K 9mm back-to-back with a .357 revolver really drove home much harder it was to fire the revolver accurately several times in a row - for exactly the reasons you cited.
I too own both and found the exact same thing. Another thing people can do is dry fire both paying careful attention to how much their sight alignment moves as they pull the trigger.

Old 07-02-2022, 03:50 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The only thing I can find small enough to conceal carry is my Ruger 380. But the recoil is bad enough to throw you off after the first shot.
I can drop it into my front jeans pocket in a sticky holster and it is not noticeable. Can't find anything else any where near that small.
That’s my EDC as well with an extended mag. In an IWB. I added a laser to keep shots 2 thru 8 on target. It’s small enough to conceal in shorts and a t-shirt and ignore any gun free zone signs.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:37 PM

10,709 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
The 9mm parabellum round is really a very sedate low power round. The grain weight of the bullet is low ... around 125 grains. The powder load for the cartridge is relatively small too and with the short handgun barrel the muzzle velocity is a very pedestrian 1200 feet per sec. The 9mm handgun is not a powerful gun and cartridge combination. Best all around carry gun IMO so you did right. The perceived recoil you feel in your hands and wrists is due to the simple physics of using a light gun. The smaller the mass of the gun the more you will feel the sharpness of the recoil. Little bitty .380 pocket guns are seriously NO fun to shoot. They positively hurt.

If you want to have fun target shooting with a handgun buy a .22. You can shoot those things all day long, gain proficiency, not break the bank on ammo and it's just a lot of fun. You should still shoot plenty with your 9mm. Every gun has its own feel in terms of trigger pull, sights, hand placement, recoil recovery and more. To be proficient in a jam you should know that gun in your sleep.

I'm a little surprised that as a rifle owner the handgun made you remark at the recoil. Hunting rifles are really no fun to shoot. I shoot a box of 20 through my 300 Winchester Short Magnum to sight it in and my shoulder feels like hamburger ... and I'm a big guy with some muscle on my shoulder. Those things fire big rounds that go out like the hand of God at about 4x the muzzle velocity of your 9mm and there's no recoil mechanism. It all goes straight into your shoulder.

Your .300 has MV around 4,800 FPS?

Old 07-02-2022, 05:48 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I find revolvers group better then semi-autos at least semi-autos where the barrel is not fixed to the frame like a 1911 design. I own a H&K P7-M10 .40 caliber I can group better then any of my 1911's with that. Muzzle flip has lot to do with the weight of the projectile .45 230 Grain vr .357 125 grain round.
Women many times have a hard time chambering a round in a semi-auto.

Additionally, the trigger pull in most hammerless revolvers is too high for most women.

I agree with the opinion that women should shoot a smaller caliber revolver. Generally they have nice trigger pulls, have decent ergonomics, don't jam, and eliminate racking a round. Anything .38 special and below in caliber would be fine.

Old 07-02-2022, 07:47 PM

13,233 posts, read 7,286,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Women many times have a hard time chambering a round in a semi-auto.

Additionally, the trigger pull in most hammerless revolvers is too high for most women.

I agree with the opinion that women should shoot a smaller caliber revolver. Generally they have nice trigger pulls, have decent ergonomics, don't jam, and eliminate racking a round. Anything .38 special and below in caliber would be fine.
I agree small calibers kill just as fast if you hit center chest. I like hammerless because less likely to snag on anything. My mother is 84 she shoots a lady smith .38 double action she doesn't have any issues with it in double action.

Old 07-02-2022, 08:09 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I agree small calibers kill just as fast if you hit center chest. I like hammerless because less likely to snag on anything. My mother is 84 she shoots a lady smith .38 double action she doesn't have any issues with it in double action.
That's great!

It's usually:

recoil

trigger pull

chambering a round by pulling back the slide

................... that women have trouble with. Some just don't have the hand or finger strength for certain weapons.

Old 07-02-2022, 08:11 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Try different handguns. Even among the subcompacts there is perceivable differences in recoil and how they handle. I've never shot that Sig but I can tell you that I hated the Ruger LCP and love my Smith and Wesson Shield for concealed carry. Night and day different shooting experience. YMMV
I couldn't get rid of the LCP fast enough. What an awful pistol to shoot.

AADAD - I have a Sig P365 Nitron micro compact and love it. I also have a Sig P238. My fave is my S&W M&P 9mm. You have to be comfortable and it will take some time. Try renting lots of different pistols at a range before you buy one.

The best pistol will be the one you practice with and can operate my muscle memory. If you don't like shooting it you won't practice with it.

Last edited by redwood66; 07-02-2022 at 08:37 PM..

Old 07-03-2022, 03:57 AM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Remember that the weaker can rack a slide by pushing forward on the frame where they possess greater strength as an alternative to pulling the slide back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies