Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 12:24 PM

2,953 posts, read 993,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
A and B, in reverse order.

B: Years ago, I was practicing one handed right on the range with my USP. Fired a round and a sudden agonizing pain in my back. Was I suffering from behind rear ended a few weeks before? No, quickly dismissed that I had been doing other things that didn't cause such pain. What I figured it had been that I had been in the right configuration to take the recoil wrong. I had my shoulder holster on, all strapped down. The recoil of that heavy pistol went down my arm, into my back,and strapped down, there was no way to release that energy, so my back suffered.

A: My AR-10 is a WHOMP rifle. WHOMP! as it throws that 7.62 round down range. WHOMP!.....it's better than sex!
Never fired the AR-10. The 15 has so little recoil I can shoot it all day. My peasant army WASR-10 AK is like what you say. I love the CLANG of that big hunk of steel recoiling on every shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 12:43 PM

9,509 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
To each their own. When I was buying my first gun, I evaluated Glocks, Kahrs, Sigs.......they didn't win out with me. I went with the H&K.

To each their own.....humor or not.
I replaced my Glock 19 with an H&K 9mm. While the Glock was a very reliable gun, it felt crude compared to the H&K, which feels like a piece of precision machinery. I miss the Glock, though.

Old 07-01-2022, 01:04 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
but American has become very violent - and it's not just guns.
No it hasn't. It's just about the safest it's been since the 60s. Murder rate has gone up, now it's only as safe as 1962. 2013-2014 were the safest since before the FBI started keeping stats in 1960.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I agree with Igor Blevin that you should spend some quality time with a larger (heavier) handgun while you gain the most basic proficiency and get used to handling recoil. Even experienced shooters testify that micro-compacts like the Sig365XL can be "snappy."

I find that in my hand, the critical gun weight is 20 ounces (unloaded). In a gun heavier than 20 ounces, I can easily go up to a heavily loaded .45 ACP. Less than 20 ounces, and even .380 feels snappy to me. It only takes a couple of ounces above or below 20 to make a great deal of difference in my hand.

Trying to learn the basics with a gun that even experts admit is "snappy" might be more depressing than you need in the beginning. Try a full-sized gun for a while.
Oh jeez. My MkI Target weighs 46 oz! Can't feel anything, especially with subsonic target rounds
My Ruger American Competition feels a whole lot snappier, at 34 oz. I think I need to play with the trigger, but it's technically my wife's.
I hated shooting my FIL's LCP. 9 oz and my hands were too big for it. Only 3 fingers fit on the grip!

Old 07-01-2022, 01:25 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,120,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I can relate. A few years ago I went to a range in PA to try target shooting. The guy gave me a 45. It was like an explosion going off in my hands. I got used to it but it was surprising. I also learned I’m a terrible shot. I’ve since fired rifles that are much smoother and learned that I was aiming with my non-dominant eye.
Too bad you aren't nearby. I have taught many people how to shoot. Mostly women who were afraid of guns.
I always start a newbie out on a .22 handgun, then work them up to a 9mm... frame size matters...a larger frame handgun will absorb more recoil but may not fit smaller hands as well. It's best to start with the larger frame though to get them used to the recoil.

Within an hour, I can get most new shooters shooting more accurately than most of the people on the range.

The most violent handgun I own is a Ruger LCP 380...that little bugger will beat up your hand...well it does mine because I can only grip it with a couple of fingers...it's way too small for me but is a great front pocket gun and they have "holsters" for it that at first glance make the whole thing look like a wallet.

Last edited by USMC1984; 07-01-2022 at 02:06 PM..

Old 07-01-2022, 01:29 PM

8,384 posts, read 4,367,951 times
There are so many factors when selecting a personal carry hand gun. There are always trade offs.

I love shooting my H&K VP9L with a red dot. The advantages are the mass, weight, spring, trigger all make the recoil manageable and my hand and trigger finger don't hurt after a few rounds or 50 or 100. Twenty round mags are readily available.

The disadvantage is size and ability to conceal.

Smaller guns can be easy to conceal, are not as accurate, carry fewer rounds, and from my experience, hurt my hand/trigger finger to fire many times. This includes most of the popular smaller frame Glocks.

Much of these smaller gun negatives don't matter too much if you actually find yourself in a situation where you suddenly need the protection.

Old 07-01-2022, 01:34 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,576,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
There are so many factors when selecting a personal carry hand gun. There are always trade offs.

I love shooting my H&K VP9L with a red dot. The advantages are the mass, weight, spring, trigger all make the recoil manageable and my hand and trigger finger don't hurt after a few rounds or 50 or 100. Twenty round mags are readily available.

The disadvantage is size and ability to conceal.

Smaller guns can be easy to conceal, are not as accurate, carry fewer rounds, and from my experience, hurt my hand/trigger finger to fire many times. This includes most of the popular smaller frame Glocks.

Much of these smaller gun negatives don't matter too much if you actually find yourself in a situation where you suddenly need the protection.

Easy solution, you need at least 2 guns! One for carry and one for fun. Later you will find 3 guns is the correct number, then... (and so the lifelong hobby begins)

This is the aspect of guns that non-gun people don't understand. "Why do you need 10 guns?"

Old 07-01-2022, 01:48 PM

13,258 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I can't believe nobody suggested a Glock. I thought it was common knowledge that Glocks are the ONLY pistol worth carrying. Unless you carry a Glock 19 you will probably DIE in a real gunfight!

Better yet would be a full auto Glock 18 with 33 rd mags. Just hold the trigger and send 33 rounds into the bad guys in 1.8 seconds. You can't miss with that kind of firepower!

Personally I prefer the Sig MPX Copperhead. A semi-auto sub-machine gun is excellent for stinging road ragers and urban hooligans, and the 3.5" barrel is perfect for concealing in a large purse or under a jacket, secret service style. Don't mess with me!

I think everyone knows by now that a 9mm will blow your lungs out. But even better is a .45, you don't even need to hit your target with a .45, just get close and the wind will blow the bad guys gun arm clean off! That's why Audie Murphy and Sergeant York carried 1911's.
How many police officers have shot themselves in the leg while trying to draw a Glock from a holster. The thing has no safety only that little tiny button on the tip of the trigger. They probably work great for holster carry and lot of training but typical CCW not going to practice that hard. Rather have a double action only .38 trigger won't ever be pulled accidently. Most street altercations where a gun would be needed will not be father then 20 feet away no need to have large caliber frame guns. The Ruger LCR revolver is one I wanted to buy always had my SP101 the LCR is even lighter .38 is more then enough

Old 07-01-2022, 02:01 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Easy solution, you need at least 2 guns! One for carry and one for fun. Later you will find 3 guns is the correct number, then... (and so the lifelong hobby begins)

This is the aspect of guns that non-gun people don't understand. "Why do you need 10 guns?"
Something like that. A number of things I didn't get into before.

Love my USP but it needs a field jacket to conceal it. So I got a smaller 1911. It works....when everything is perfect but didn't like those odds, so my arms merchant got me a Sig in 9mm.

As I said earlier, I love my Zavasta but it is no USP. Carry it for those times when I can't carry the others....or as the back up gun.

Started with .45 and 7.62. Then came the 9mm. Then the 5.56. Then the 45 long, the .22, the .32, the .380. As the missions increased, so did the need for different guns. Sometimes, it really wasn't about the mission but rather, a simplification of logistics, like having a 9mm pistol and a 9mm carbine in the same ready locker................and then the 9mm carbine become unavailable.

As said, for some of us, I am not sure if it is a hobby.

Old 07-01-2022, 02:04 PM

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I can't believe nobody suggested a Glock. I thought it was common knowledge that Glocks are the ONLY pistol worth carrying. Unless you carry a Glock 19 you will probably DIE in a real gunfight!

Better yet would be a full auto Glock 18 with 33 rd mags. Just hold the trigger and send 33 rounds into the bad guys in 1.8 seconds. You can't miss with that kind of firepower!

Personally I prefer the Sig MPX Copperhead. A semi-auto sub-machine gun is excellent for stinging road ragers and urban hooligans, and the 3.5" barrel is perfect for concealing in a large purse or under a jacket, secret service style. Don't mess with me!

I think everyone knows by now that a 9mm will blow your lungs out. But even better is a .45, you don't even need to hit your target with a .45, just get close and the wind will blow the bad guys gun arm clean off! That's why Audie Murphy and Sergeant York carried 1911's.
Not sure a newbie should learn on a handgun that has no safety. Glocks are also involved in many accidents yearly.

Old 07-01-2022, 02:10 PM

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post

I have one that I have never fired. My FIL left me his chrome plated pearl handled S & W. From the looks of it, he never fired it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies