Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 05:10 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times

Advertisements

I have been accustomed to rifles and shotguns. Yesterday I went to my first handgun class. The instructor asked me why I was there. I explained that we were out to lunch and a light went off in my head and I felt unprotected. We are most time on an island off the coast of Washington. It's very peaceful. I can't imagine I would ever "need" a gun here. But when we ferry over it's America with it's choices and risks.

The class was interesting about posture safety and risks and how to mitigate those realities. For my gun range I opted for the Sig Sauer 365XL 9mm. It felt good in my hand, compact and lightweight. I loaded the magazine finally using a device to help me load. The instructor reviewed my instructions I cocked and aimed. I can only describe it as an explosion. Recoil was noticeable but fine. She said I closed my eyes once. LOL. Next to us was a man shooting a large handgun with 323 ammo>? The concussive effect was palpable.

I had a red dot on the Sig and it helped conform my shots to the center with movement downward which she said was pretty standard. My overall impression was getting that much "bang" with a small semi automatic handgun.

I did not really like the experience to be quite honest. Not the principle of the carrying a gun, but the power of that little hand cannon was not really fun. I've always been a good shot. I will continue to move forward to learning and purchase and more training To my surprise it's Kinda a necessity these days.

Feedback welcome but without crap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2022, 05:17 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,576,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I have been accustomed to rifles and shotguns. Yesterday I went to my first handgun class. The instructor asked me why I was there. I explained that we were out to lunch and a light went off in my head and I felt unprotected. We are most time on an island off the coast of Washington. It's very peaceful. I can't imagine I would ever "need" a gun here. But when we ferry over it's America with it's choices and risks.

The class was interesting about posture safety and risks and how to mitigate those realities. For my gun range I opted for the Sig Sauer 365XL 9mm. It felt good in my hand, compact and lightweight. I loaded the magazine finally using a device to help me load. The instructor reviewed my instructions I cocked and aimed. I can only describe it as an explosion. Recoil was noticeable but fine. She said I closed my eyes once. LOL. Next to us was a man shooting a large handgun with 323 ammo>? The concussive effect was palpable.

I had a red dot on the Sig and it helped conform my shots to the center with movement downward which she said was pretty standard. My overall impression was getting that much "bang" with a small semi automatic handgun.

I did not really like the experience to be quite honest. Not the principle of the carrying a gun, but the power of that little hand cannon was not really fun. I've always been a good shot. I will continue to move forward to learning and purchase and more training To my surprise it's Kinda a necessity these days.

Try different handguns. Even among the subcompacts there is perceivable differences in recoil and how they handle. I've never shot that Sig but I can tell you that I hated the Ruger LCP and love my Smith and Wesson Shield for concealed carry. Night and day different shooting experience. YMMV

Old 06-30-2022, 05:29 PM

11,483 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Firing a handgun is a violent experience. You are controlling a small scale explosion. That is really evident the first time you shoot a handgun but dampens the more you shoot. You get used to it.

The noise is ten times as startling as the push, especially to newbies. You noticed that short barreled handguns make a lot of noise much closer to you than rifles. It is not the same experience at all.

The small, light gun the instructor let you use has way too much noise and recoil for a handgun beginner. It was bad judgment by your instructor to offer it to you for your first experience.

She should have offered you a full-sized Glock, Sig, 1911, or other popular full-sized weapon. That would have given you sufficient grip to hang onto, a longer barrel length, and longer sight radius. Your instructor failed to help you out.

This is a common mistake gun stores do. They sell a lightweight revolver to a woman who has never shot a handgun in her life, and then it terrifies her when she shoots it at the gun range for the first time.

If you are still serious about wanting to carry a concealed weapon, go buy a cheap used Glock 17, Sig 226, or other full sized handgun and go practice with it for 1,000 to 2,000 rounds. That would be a good start to stepping down to something small, light, and loud with stout recoil.

You wouldn't learn to drive using a high powered, rear-engined sports car. You would start out with a family car and only move up to a powerful car after you are comfortable and have obtained some skill at driving.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 06-30-2022 at 05:40 PM..

Old 06-30-2022, 05:38 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Don't buy a Sccy handgun. My wife bought one and could not rack it, the slide spring was so strong. I could barely rack it. The owner of the range couldn't do it either. Contacted the company, they assured me it is supposed to be that way. It was pink camo, so obviously marketed for women. We own several handguns, but at the range my favorite is my full size S & W 22.

Old 06-30-2022, 05:39 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I have been shooting a long time but recently have been thinking about getting a Mantis X to practice at home dry fire unloaded and with live fire at the range. A lot are saying it helps.

SIG is a good company and handgun. 9mm is perfect for what you need, not too big not too small. The more you practice the better you will become.

Know your local laws on self defense, don't leave the gun loaded or access to if kids are around, try not to leave in in a car that is the most common way guns are stolen.

If you are ever at home and you think you have a intruder say out loud " I have a gun, the police are on the way, GO AWAY". If a intruder ignores your warning and come toward you then you have a choice to make. Keep your phone on to record it might be needed later in court to prove yourself, don't EVER say things like "I'll shoot you" or I kill you" or anything with hostile intent, because in court it could be used against you.

Make sure your family is accounted for, keep your finger off the trigger until you have identified a intruder you don't want to accidently shoot a loved one. Is a good Idea to have a flashlight along with your weapon. Never go around your housing tying to confront a intruder , stay in your safe area and say out loud what I said above.

A weapon is only part of the equation, situational awareness is important also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ypNsr4siJA

Old 06-30-2022, 05:43 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,576,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Don't buy a Sccy handgun. My wife bought one and could not rack it, the slide spring was so strong. I could barely rack it. The owner of the range couldn't do it either. Contacted the company, they assured me it is supposed to be that way. It was pink camo, so obviously marketed for women. We own several handguns, but at the range my favorite is my full size S & W 22.

Sliding the rack was a big problem for my girlfriend when we were shopping for a handgun for her. The three that we found that were very easy were the Sig 250, Bersa Thunder and Thunder + and the S&W Shield EZ. She picked the Bersa + as it was a double stack .380 15 round (she wanted .380). The Sig 250 was too expensive and the Shield EZ was in 9mm.

Old 06-30-2022, 06:23 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Your replies are very helpful in many ways. Thank you.

Old 06-30-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Sliding the rack was a big problem for my girlfriend when we were shopping for a handgun for her. The three that we found that were very easy were the Sig 250, Bersa Thunder and Thunder + and the S&W Shield EZ. She picked the Bersa + as it was a double stack .380 15 round (she wanted .380). The Sig 250 was too expensive and the Shield EZ was in 9mm.
That 9mm Sccy also had bad recoil. A lot worse than my Ruger 380 carry gun.

Old 06-30-2022, 08:27 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Firing a handgun is a violent experience. You are controlling a small scale explosion. That is really evident the first time you shoot a handgun but dampens the more you shoot. You get used to it.

The noise is ten times as startling as the push, especially to newbies. You noticed that short barreled handguns make a lot of noise much closer to you than rifles. It is not the same experience at all.

The small, light gun the instructor let you use has way too much noise and recoil for a handgun beginner. It was bad judgment by your instructor to offer it to you for your first experience.

She should have offered you a full-sized Glock, Sig, 1911, or other popular full-sized weapon. That would have given you sufficient grip to hang onto, a longer barrel length, and longer sight radius. Your instructor failed to help you out.

This is a common mistake gun stores do. They sell a lightweight revolver to a woman who has never shot a handgun in her life, and then it terrifies her when she shoots it at the gun range for the first time.

If you are still serious about wanting to carry a concealed weapon, go buy a cheap used Glock 17, Sig 226, or other full sized handgun and go practice with it for 1,000 to 2,000 rounds. That would be a good start to stepping down to something small, light, and loud with stout recoil.

You wouldn't learn to drive using a high powered, rear-engined sports car. You would start out with a family car and only move up to a powerful car after you are comfortable and have obtained some skill at driving.
I don't agree with any of this. The OP has a great weapon and should learn it inside and out.

Old 06-30-2022, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I don't agree with any of this. The OP has a great weapon and should learn it inside and out.
It must be one SHE is comfortable using. That is the most important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies