Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 09:26 AM

59,324 posts, read 27,496,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I have been accustomed to rifles and shotguns. Yesterday I went to my first handgun class. The instructor asked me why I was there. I explained that we were out to lunch and a light went off in my head and I felt unprotected. We are most time on an island off the coast of Washington. It's very peaceful. I can't imagine I would ever "need" a gun here. But when we ferry over it's America with it's choices and risks.

The class was interesting about posture safety and risks and how to mitigate those realities. For my gun range I opted for the Sig Sauer 365XL 9mm. It felt good in my hand, compact and lightweight. I loaded the magazine finally using a device to help me load. The instructor reviewed my instructions I cocked and aimed. I can only describe it as an explosion. Recoil was noticeable but fine. She said I closed my eyes once. LOL. Next to us was a man shooting a large handgun with 323 ammo>? The concussive effect was palpable.

I had a red dot on the Sig and it helped conform my shots to the center with movement downward which she said was pretty standard. My overall impression was getting that much "bang" with a small semi automatic handgun.

I did not really like the experience to be quite honest. Not the principle of the carrying a gun, but the power of that little hand cannon was not really fun. I've always been a good shot. I will continue to move forward to learning and purchase and more training To my surprise it's Kinda a necessity these days.

Feedback welcome but without crap
Your choice. Live with it!

This the "Politics and other Controversies" forum. I see NEITHER in your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 09:28 AM

59,324 posts, read 27,496,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Firing a handgun is a violent experience. You are controlling a small scale explosion. That is really evident the first time you shoot a handgun but dampens the more you shoot. You get used to it.

The noise is ten times as startling as the push, especially to newbies. You noticed that short barreled handguns make a lot of noise much closer to you than rifles. It is not the same experience at all.

The small, light gun the instructor let you use has way too much noise and recoil for a handgun beginner. It was bad judgment by your instructor to offer it to you for your first experience.

She should have offered you a full-sized Glock, Sig, 1911, or other popular full-sized weapon. That would have given you sufficient grip to hang onto, a longer barrel length, and longer sight radius. Your instructor failed to help you out.

This is a common mistake gun stores do. They sell a lightweight revolver to a woman who has never shot a handgun in her life, and then it terrifies her when she shoots it at the gun range for the first time.

If you are still serious about wanting to carry a concealed weapon, go buy a cheap used Glock 17, Sig 226, or other full sized handgun and go practice with it for 1,000 to 2,000 rounds. That would be a good start to stepping down to something small, light, and loud with stout recoil.

You wouldn't learn to drive using a high powered, rear-engined sports car. You would start out with a family car and only move up to a powerful car after you are comfortable and have obtained some skill at driving.
"Firing a handgun is a violent experience" Huh!

Old 07-01-2022, 09:40 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,663,931 times
Quote:
I have been accustomed to rifles and shotguns. Yesterday I went to my first handgun class. The instructor asked me why I was there. I explained that we were out to lunch and a light went off in my head and I felt unprotected. We are most time on an island off the coast of Washington. It's very peaceful. I can't imagine I would ever "need" a gun here. But when we ferry over it's America with it's choices and risks.

The class was interesting about posture safety and risks and how to mitigate those realities. For my gun range I opted for the Sig Sauer 365XL 9mm. It felt good in my hand, compact and lightweight. I loaded the magazine finally using a device to help me load. The instructor reviewed my instructions I cocked and aimed. I can only describe it as an explosion. Recoil was noticeable but fine. She said I closed my eyes once. LOL. Next to us was a man shooting a large handgun with 323 ammo>? The concussive effect was palpable.

I had a red dot on the Sig and it helped conform my shots to the center with movement downward which she said was pretty standard. My overall impression was getting that much "bang" with a small semi automatic handgun.

I did not really like the experience to be quite honest. Not the principle of the carrying a gun, but the power of that little hand cannon was not really fun. I've always been a good shot. I will continue to move forward to learning and purchase and more training To my surprise it's Kinda a necessity these days.

Welcome to the handgun owners population. You'll get used to the noise and recoil. I use a full size 45 so I'm so used to it I have to pause when a new shooter such as yourself has these issues. But I've helped many a newbie become at least a confidant handler. When I think of a "hand cannon" my mind goes to the TC 445 Supermag and 50SW I've fired. Uggg! No where on the spectrum is muzzle blast and recoil not somewhat ...objectionable. But better bowling pin match guns there are not. LMAO.

The guy that had the 500 was using it at a pin match one da and he let me and my son shoot it. It didn't just take the pins off the table. It broke them in half. For pin competition a 45 Auto is about bare minimum. Pins are evil. (mm and 40s just lay them down. They have to be off the table to count. "Power" in a handgun is a much debated subject.

Much depends on what the intended purpose of the handgun is. In your case the SIG is a solid choice. And there is an old adage about practice that comes into play. Since your carrying for defensive purpose practice is most important. The drawing and firing with no thought about noise and recoil are pretty much essential. You will get used to it. Handguns are a different world from rifles and shotguns. Light years difference.

The laser will help. I never shot much with one as they are illegal in competition and I competed heavily for 30+years. My son did a stint with the SW youth team. He started when he was 10. Revolver turned out to be his niche. He started with my mod 25 SW in 45 Colt and saved his money and with a little bump from me got a mod 625 SW 45 ACP. He was greased lightning with that revolver and he got noticed. I was re loading mass quantity then and he would burn 3-500 rounds 3-4 times a week in practice. He was 12 when he got the 625.

Practice practice practice. Can't stress that enough. These days it's tough to burn mass amounts in ammo I know. But shoot as much as you possibly can. Even dry fire practice is better than nothing. It's actually an integral part. Helps immensely with your handling skills and confidence. I could go on for hours but these are some high points to think about. Welcome aboard.

Old 07-01-2022, 09:44 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,067,895 times
To each their own.

"Traditionally", I have used large caliber, double stacked pistols through my life. The weight of something that massive is rather a good thing, for me, in accuracy.........but the stress and shock is showing up in these old bones.

On one side of the coin, there is the needed firepower in a perceived max situation, hence a double stack and multiple magazines. On the other side, these is concealment and comfort and there is one major aspect of that in that a gun left at home because you aren't in comfort carrying it does you no good when you need it.

Hence, why I love my Zavasta M70A. It's primitive by modern standards, it is not easy to clean or at least, not as easy as the full size field pistol H&K USP, but it is slim (single stack), feels natural in my hands, and has the necessary weight for accurate fire. There are two big aspects, mission wise, of why to have it. First, it is the gun to carry when I can't carry the USP or the Sig P229. Secondly, with so many of them in the world, knowing how to use them is just good thinking......from my aspect.

As far as the recoil and the like, well between a life time in judo and dance, the body knows how to handle it......these old bones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If a person is not prepared or willing to go through the training and consistent practice to deal with the significantly more complex "manual of arms" of a semi-automatic (which essentially means making shooting a hobby), a revolver will be a more effective weapon in a crisis.

Revolvers are a good choice for most people, particularly women. Why? Because the thugs that prey on women have a mindset of easy prey, they figure she's going to be weak. They're not attacking a woman with the expectation of a pitched gun battle, prepared to shoot it out to the death.

The weight-to-recoil ratio is in effect with revolvers as well. The industry sells very lightweight "lady" or "airweight" revolvers to women on the premise that they're easier to carry because they're lighter.

However, as I mentioned before, a few ounces can make a huge difference in felt recoil. My wife and daughter shoot .38 Special rounds in .357 Magnum snub-nosed revolvers, which are a few ounces heavier than the usual "lady" or "airweight" .38 Special gun. That few ounces makes little difference in carrying, but softens the recoil noticeably. I also got them both "shrouded hammer" guns, to reduce the chances of the hammer getting caught in clothing. It allows them to shoot from a coat pocket or through a purse, which is a dicey maneuver with a semi-automatic, but is a likely situation for a woman who might get rushed before she can fully draw the weapon.
Now we get political. I saw the other day on FB a post from a teacher of why teachers shouldn't be required to carry because in order to be proficient, to shoot only the bad guy if it came down to it, they need to spend 10 hours a week on the range (as the teacher said) and they are already spending heaps of extra time unpaid to make their academic lessons count.

A pretty close statement. When we get into practicing that much, to never miss.......is it a "hobby" anymore? Further, it is not just time at the range but also, from my aspect, of how much effort, how much money we spend to ensure that we always have sufficient training ammo. If in anything else of using, say, a case of pistol ammo a month, in doing so, we enter the cross hairs of the uninformed who have been taught that anyone with thousands of rounds is planning a massacre (nutshell).

Finally, anyone coming after me I expect to be very well briefed which is to say............to each their own on who our enemies might be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
True. My issue with revolvers is that they tend to be less comfortable to carry. The cylinder bulge is bulky and sticks out well past the side of the frame, making it less comfortable IWB. There is also something to say for the convenience of being able to unload a semi by just dropping the mag and clearing the chamber (or load the inverse) as opposed to handling individual rounds. I also prefer the extra capacity of a semi. I also feel a semi MAY be safer due to no exposed hammer (at least on striker fired guns). Though with transfer bar safeties this isn't such a big issue.

No arguing though that they have some advantages-more obvious that it's loaded (or clear) to new shooters. Perhaps more reliable (though they can get dirt/lint onto bad places if carried regularly). And for weaker shooters, no need to fight a recoil spring to cycle a slide.
My issue with revolvers is that they are not SA pistols, not that easy to reload ESPECIALLY if one is trained to do it with still one in the pipe (got to get that Browning Hi-Power to a gunsmith someday). Shrug. It is what I am. Carry 3 magazines minimum.

On the Browning Hi-Power, that is an illustration of another aspect. In 2016, I was buying guns as I could, in face of what was expected to come. I may have buying of what was best for me from what the selection was (only remember what I actually bought). I am not locked down to one particular type, one particular caliber, but have the ability to handle from many walks......and yes, I do have revolvers in my back ground.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 07-01-2022 at 10:12 AM..

Old 07-01-2022, 11:41 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,971,600 times
I can't believe nobody suggested a Glock. I thought it was common knowledge that Glocks are the ONLY pistol worth carrying. Unless you carry a Glock 19 you will probably DIE in a real gunfight!

Better yet would be a full auto Glock 18 with 33 rd mags. Just hold the trigger and send 33 rounds into the bad guys in 1.8 seconds. You can't miss with that kind of firepower!

Personally I prefer the Sig MPX Copperhead. A semi-auto sub-machine gun is excellent for stinging road ragers and urban hooligans, and the 3.5" barrel is perfect for concealing in a large purse or under a jacket, secret service style. Don't mess with me!

I think everyone knows by now that a 9mm will blow your lungs out. But even better is a .45, you don't even need to hit your target with a .45, just get close and the wind will blow the bad guys gun arm clean off! That's why Audie Murphy and Sergeant York carried 1911's.

Last edited by jamies; 07-01-2022 at 11:49 AM..

Old 07-01-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I can't believe nobody suggested a Glock. I thought it was common knowledge that Glocks are the ONLY pistol worth carrying. Unless you carry a Glock 19 you will probably DIE in a real gunfight!

Better yet would be a full auto Glock 18 with 33 rd mags. Just hold the trigger and send 33 rounds into the bad guys in 1.8 seconds. You can't miss with that kind of firepower!

Personally I prefer the Sig MPX Copperhead. A semi-auto sub-machine gun is excellent for stinging road ragers and urban hololigans, and the 3.5" barrel is perfect for concealing in a large purse or under a jacket, secret service style.

I think everyone knows by now that a 9mm will blow your lungs out. But even better is a .45, you don't even need to hit your target with a .45, just get close and the wind will blow the bad guys gun arm clean off!
To each their own. When I was buying my first gun, I evaluated Glocks, Kahrs, Sigs.......they didn't win out with me. I went with the H&K.

To each their own.....humor or not.

Old 07-01-2022, 12:03 PM

22,405 posts, read 29,529,040 times
I own 3 handguns, a revolver and a shotgun. I'm a female

Old 07-01-2022, 12:10 PM

2,953 posts, read 996,753 times
Quote:

The 9mm parabellum round is really a very sedate low power round. The grain weight of the bullet is low ... around 125 grains. The powder load for the cartridge is relatively small too and with the short handgun barrel the muzzle velocity is a very pedestrian 1200 feet per sec. The 9mm handgun is not a powerful gun and cartridge combination. Best all around carry gun IMO so you did right. The perceived recoil you feel in your hands and wrists is due to the simple physics of using a light gun. The smaller the mass of the gun the more you will feel the sharpness of the recoil. Little bitty .380 pocket guns are seriously NO fun to shoot. They positively hurt.

If you want to have fun target shooting with a handgun buy a .22. You can shoot those things all day long, gain proficiency, not break the bank on ammo and it's just a lot of fun. You should still shoot plenty with your 9mm. Every gun has its own feel in terms of trigger pull, sights, hand placement, recoil recovery and more. To be proficient in a jam you should know that gun in your sleep.

I'm a little surprised that as a rifle owner the handgun made you remark at the recoil. Hunting rifles are really no fun to shoot. I shoot a box of 20 through my 300 Winchester Short Magnum to sight it in and my shoulder feels like hamburger ... and I'm a big guy with some muscle on my shoulder. Those things fire big rounds that go out like the hand of God at about 4x the muzzle velocity of your 9mm and there's no recoil mechanism. It all goes straight into your shoulder.

Old 07-01-2022, 12:18 PM

2,953 posts, read 996,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Reviled by lots of handgun snobs as blocky, ugly, uncool polymer Volkswagens of handguns. I have 20+ guns and my 26 "baby Glock" is one of my top three shtf guns. It is so unbelievably reliable. I feed it everything including crap steel case on occasion, neglect it woefully and it just goes bang every single time I pull the trigger. I don't care that it doesn't look cool. That thing never fails me.

Old 07-01-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
........I'm a little surprised that as a rifle owner the handgun made you remark at the recoil. Hunting rifles are really no fun to shoot. I shoot a box of 20 through my 300 Winchester Short Magnum to sight it in and my shoulder feels like hamburger ... and I'm a big guy with some muscle on my shoulder. Those things fire big rounds that go out like the hand of God at about 4x the muzzle velocity of your 9mm and there's no recoil mechanism. It all goes straight into your shoulder.
A and B, in reverse order.

B: Years ago, I was practicing one handed right on the range with my USP. Fired a round and a sudden agonizing pain in my back. Was I suffering from behind rear ended a few weeks before? No, quickly dismissed that I had been doing other things that didn't cause such pain. What I figured it had been that I had been in the right configuration to take the recoil wrong. I had my shoulder holster on, all strapped down. The recoil of that heavy pistol went down my arm, into my back,and strapped down, there was no way to release that energy, so my back suffered.

A: My AR-10 is a WHOMP rifle. WHOMP! as it throws that 7.62 round down range. WHOMP!.....it's better than sex!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies