Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 03:39 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,484,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
My hands are very weak and clumsy, lots of neve damage and atrophy in my wrists and forearms.

Best I could do is a 22-caliber, not the best, but better than nothing.

A .22 is all you need. It ain't the bow, it's the chief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 03:40 PM

8,387 posts, read 4,375,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
yup - no way I'd ever own a Glock (or any other striker-fired pistol without a manual safety):

shot in foot:

shot in groin:

shot in leg

Another thing to consider - magazine fatigue. Nearly ALL of the articles I've read claim it doesn't happen...but from what I've seen - it's real. The magazines I've left fully loaded (for years) don't have as much "springiness" as ones that are left unloaded when stored. I don't know if/when that would lead to a malfunction, but I definitely don't want to find out the hard way if I'm actually in a situation that requires me to use my firearm. So - revolvers it is for me from now on for handguns.
Replacing springs is called maintenance, just like cleaning.

Old 07-01-2022, 03:41 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,119,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
The 9mm parabellum round is really a very sedate low power round. The grain weight of the bullet is low ... around 125 grains. The powder load for the cartridge is relatively small too and with the short handgun barrel the muzzle velocity is a very pedestrian 1200 feet per sec. The 9mm handgun is not a powerful gun and cartridge combination. Best all around carry gun IMO so you did right. The perceived recoil you feel in your hands and wrists is due to the simple physics of using a light gun. The smaller the mass of the gun the more you will feel the sharpness of the recoil. Little bitty .380 pocket guns are seriously NO fun to shoot. They positively hurt.

If you want to have fun target shooting with a handgun buy a .22. You can shoot those things all day long, gain proficiency, not break the bank on ammo and it's just a lot of fun. You should still shoot plenty with your 9mm. Every gun has its own feel in terms of trigger pull, sights, hand placement, recoil recovery and more. To be proficient in a jam you should know that gun in your sleep.

I'm a little surprised that as a rifle owner the handgun made you remark at the recoil. Hunting rifles are really no fun to shoot. I shoot a box of 20 through my 300 Winchester Short Magnum to sight it in and my shoulder feels like hamburger ... and I'm a big guy with some muscle on my shoulder. Those things fire big rounds that go out like the hand of God at about 4x the muzzle velocity of your 9mm and there's no recoil mechanism. It all goes straight into your shoulder.
Good ideas. I did not buy the Sig. It was the one she recommended. I Plan to go back and try a 45 larger gun and the ones people have mentioned here....thank you.

Im stocky not tall and have never had any issue with the recoil of the 3030 or the 45 70. The last one is a beast but I like it immensely. The Sig "pops" and reading this thread and all your suggestions I'm going to test fire a larger gun to see if I like it better. I want to feel like it's a part of me. that will obviously take time...

Old 07-01-2022, 03:46 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,582,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
yup - no way I'd ever own a Glock (or any other striker-fired pistol without a manual safety):

shot in foot:

shot in groin:

shot in leg

Another thing to consider - magazine fatigue. Nearly ALL of the articles I've read claim it doesn't happen...but from what I've seen - it's real. The magazines I've left fully loaded (for years) don't have as much "springiness" as ones that are left unloaded when stored. I don't know if/when that would lead to a malfunction, but I definitely don't want to find out the hard way if I'm actually in a situation that requires me to use my firearm. So - revolvers it is for me from now on for handguns.

I have never understood the rationale behind the trigger safety that Glock and so many striker fired pistols brag about. It prevents the trigger from being depressed unless your finger (or any other object) depresses it. Sort of like a door lock that prevents entry unless you turn the door knob.

Old 07-01-2022, 03:51 PM

1,406 posts, read 1,181,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Replacing springs is called maintenance, just like cleaning.
And also one more thing to keep track of and worry about (how will you keep track how long a spring has been in a particular magazine - keep a logbook? write a date on the side of the magazine? and assuming you are diligent about it, are you certain you will be able to obtain new springs when you need them? don't laugh at that - I used to never think about not being able to buy primers or defensive (i.e. something other than FMJ) ammo, but for years now, being able to get either has been iffy.

For a revolver - the one spring in it will probably last longer than the owner (the Colt I have from 1883 is still on its original spring).

Old 07-01-2022, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Not really familiar with the Sig, so I can't speak to that particular part of your experience.

But in general, the catch 22 of carrying is that the smaller, lighter and more concealable any gun is in a given caliber, the snappier the recoil is going to be.

It's simple physics.

The trick is to find one that has the best combination of being carry friendly, effective and easy to shoot.

Maybe think about trying a steel framed revolver in 38 special such as the Ruger SP101?

It's a bit heavy for it's size but it's not unmanageable and the weight helps with the recoil as long as you stick to .38 loads and pass on the .357s.

If that's still too much then maybe look at a .22 magnum.
I echo this. as I said at this point it's just practical to have the weapon OWB. Instinctively I think I will be faster and more accurate. I am going to look at revolvers my next trip to the store.

Old 07-01-2022, 03:56 PM

I won't have a weapon without a manual safety. I appreciate the video. Musta hurt bad.

Old 07-01-2022, 04:08 PM

19,817 posts, read 18,116,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
The OP doesn't own any weapon yet. He "opted" for the Sig365XL for the handgun class.

The world is his oyster right now. He can start off with any "great weapon" available for purchase. He is not wedded to the small Sig yet. We don't yet know what handgun he likes. The only known we have from his post is that he "did not enjoy the experience" of shooing a Sig365XL.

At least now he has something to compare to.

In my opinion, the OP should go rent various popular handguns and see which ones suit him, and then translate that into what conceal carry weapon applies. Most of your popular models are readily available for rent from most shooting ranges.
With apologies............not sure how I misread the OP so badly but I did.

Old 07-01-2022, 04:12 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,816,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I have never understood the rationale behind the trigger safety that Glock and so many striker fired pistols brag about. It prevents the trigger from being depressed unless your finger (or any other object) depresses it. Sort of like a door lock that prevents entry unless you turn the door knob.
It's mostly a safety against drops. It's found that if you drop the gun just the right (wrong) way from the right (wrong) height and it hits the back of the slide or the back of the grip just the right (wrong) way, there may be enough momentum in the trigger to force the trigger backwards. Thus, the trigger safety.

Old 07-01-2022, 04:20 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,582,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It's mostly a safety against drops. It's found that if you drop the gun just the right (wrong) way from the right (wrong) height and it hits the back of the slide or the back of the grip just the right (wrong) way, there may be enough momentum in the trigger to force the trigger backwards. Thus, the trigger safety.

I thought there was an internal drop safety near the striker to prevent that. Everything I've read seems to confirm that. I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies