Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 02:54 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times

Advertisements

You will say Capitalism rules and Americans have a right to sell their wares or land to whom they please. New York and other major cities have huge foreign investors owning large parts of the properties. The Russians own Sunny Isles in SFL. That has spread to our housing communities, at least 25%, being bought out by corporations and investors from the global firm Blackrock.

Now, while we bicker over women’s rights, and gas prices, we are still vulnerable financially from the pandemic, it is possible we are being targeted by China in some sensitive rural areas.

I am not a conspiracy theorist at all- but my dad used to tell me to always watch China. He said they will never attack with power- guns and bombs, they will undermine us by the slow drip of water torture. Little at a time. I’m not anti Asian, but I have never liked foreign investors buying too much of our land or homes over deserving veterans or hard working Americans.
Just sayin’

Chinese purchase of North Dakota farmland raises national security concerns in Washington.

When the three North Dakotans who owned the parcels of land here sold them for millions of dollars this spring, the transaction raised alarm bells as far away as Washington, DC.

The base is also the home of a new space networking center, which a North Dakota senator said handles "the backbone of all U.S. military communications across the globe."

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/07/01/...ashington.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 02:59 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
It is shameful, and shouldn't be legal, this is what you get with globalism. Decades from now, we will be feel the repercussions of it.

Old 07-01-2022, 03:10 PM

5,946 posts, read 2,765,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I am not a conspiracy theorist at all- but my dad used to tell me to always watch China. He said they will never attack with power- guns and bombs, they will undermine us by the slow drip of water torture. Little at a time.
What if China were to genetically engineer a virus and then release it? In preparation, they would buy up all global supply of PPE, they would seal off access to provinces domestically, yet seed the world via aircraft that are allowed to fly for months after the release, then they would selectively release videos on social media of people dropping dead in the street to create a panic/overreaction in the rest of the world, refuse to let WHO/CDC in there to investigate the origins of the virus and then refuse to share data on the virus...

This new virus would be a dangerous one, but not too dangerous. A virus that keeps on ticking, mutating (dripping), slowly wearing us (the West) down, drip by drip, as we spend tens of trillions to jumpstart the global economy that was intentionally shut down in response to what will be seen as a KILLER VIRUS.

That would make for a really good movie!

Old 07-01-2022, 03:29 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
I guess it's Ok for tinytrump to say this.

If it's me, it's tin foil hat world.

From the article in the OP...

That's because the buyer of the land was a Chinese company, the Fufeng Group, based in Shandong, China, and the property is just about 20 minutes down the road from Grand Forks Air Force Base — home to some of the nation's most sensitive military drone technology.

The base is also the home of a new space networking center, which a North Dakota senator said handles "the backbone of all U.S. military communications across the globe."

Old 07-01-2022, 03:31 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
You will say Capitalism rules and Americans have a right to sell their wares or land to whom they please. New York and other major cities have huge foreign investors owning large parts of the properties. The Russians own Sunny Isles in SFL. That has spread to our housing communities, at least 25%, being bought out by corporations and investors from the global firm Blackrock.

Now, while we bicker over women’s rights, and gas prices, we are still vulnerable financially from the pandemic, it is possible we are being targeted by China in some sensitive rural areas.

I am not a conspiracy theorist at all- but my dad used to tell me to always watch China. He said they will never attack with power- guns and bombs, they will undermine us by the slow drip of water torture. Little at a time. I’m not anti Asian, but I have never liked foreign investors buying too much of our land or homes over deserving veterans or hard working Americans.
Just sayin’

Chinese purchase of North Dakota farmland raises national security concerns in Washington.

When the three North Dakotans who owned the parcels of land here sold them for millions of dollars this spring, the transaction raised alarm bells as far away as Washington, DC.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/07/01/...ashington.html
Yet you're not the least bit concerned about the illegal invasion on our southern border by the millions.

Old 07-01-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
What if China were to genetically engineer a virus and then release it? In preparation, they would buy up all global supply of PPE, they would seal off access to provinces domestically, yet seed the world via aircraft that are allowed to fly for months after the release, then they would selectively release videos on social media of people dropping dead in the street to create a panic/overreaction in the rest of the world, refuse to let WHO/CDC in there to investigate the origins of the virus and then refuse to share data on the virus...

This new virus would be a dangerous one, but not too dangerous. A virus that keeps on ticking, mutating (dripping), slowly wearing us (the West) down, drip by drip, as we spend tens of trillions to jumpstart the global economy that was intentionally shut down in response to what will be seen as a KILLER VIRUS.

That would make for a really good movie!
It kills its own and causes monetary losses counterproductive If you ask me.

Old 07-01-2022, 03:59 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
It is interesting that the federal government doesn't have existing policies for protecting property in and around military locations.

Or is it really not a threat and that's why there wasn't more concern?

Old 07-01-2022, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It is shameful, and shouldn't be legal, this is what you get with globalism. Decades from now, we will be feel the repercussions of it.
After an extensive investigation into this practice, we have found that private equity companies have bought up hundreds of thousands of single-family homes and placed them on the rental market.’
In the Atlanta metro area, 42.8% of for-sale homes went to institutional investors in the third quarter of 2021, while investors purchased 38.8% of homes in the Phoenix-Glendale-Scottsdale area during the same period, the committee’s memorandum said.

What does the new age of foreign investment look like?
Industrial, multifamily properties stayed hot; retail, office spaces lost share
There has been a noticeable pattern in the recent trends of foreign investors, especially in comparison to their traditional property type preferences. On average over the past three years prior to the pandemic, foreign investors have overwhelmingly preferred office properties with more than a 38% share of total investment volumes, particularly concentrated in metro central business districts

Study Shows That 75 Percent of Manhattan's All-Cash Buyers Have Chinese Last Names. For wealthy Chinese, Manhattan real estate has long served as a secure place to stash their cash, with these investors gobbling up high-end properties.Sep 25, 2015
https://www.6sqft.com › study-show...

We are selling our country to others and not friendlies. But buying this God forsaken empty property is very concerning. The price went over the top. Happy N Dakotians, but What have they done ? Once the Chinese or Russia tried to buy the Port of Miami. They stopped the sale, think a British co ended up buying it. That was years ago.
I just think as our country is so divided - it makes us an easy target. Money talks n BS walks. If they own it -what ya gonna do???

“I think having us dependent on any one source is a problem, especially when that source is a country that doesn’t necessarily see us as a friend,” Bartholomew warned. “We have certainly seen them use economic leverage in the tariff wars.
The economic threat can also affect military readiness, testified Lt. General Giovanni Tuck, director for logistics with the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff. By owning and/or operating a network of logistical nodes across Asia, Europe and Africa, China can control a significant portion of its inbound supply chain for essential commodities and outbound trade routes for its exports,” Bartholomew said during the Oct. 17 hearing. “In the event of conflict, China could use its control over these and other ports to hinder trade access to other countries.”
Bartholomew cited data revealing that at least two-thirds of the world’s top 50 container ports are owned by the Chinese or supported by Chinese investments, up from roughly 20% a decade ago. Those investments include terminals at major U.S. container ports in Los Angeles and Seattle.
https://www.6sqft.com › study-show...

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/ex...t-us-ports/amp

Last edited by tinytrump; 07-01-2022 at 04:23 PM..

Old 07-01-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It is interesting that the federal government doesn't have existing policies for protecting property in and around military locations.

Or is it really not a threat and that's why there wasn't more concern?
Not sure can do anything after the fact. Like I posted - in Miami they stopped the port from being sold. I don’t know - but all that ruckus about Cuba. Go figure.

Old 07-01-2022, 04:27 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yet you're not the least bit concerned about the illegal invasion on our southern border by the millions.
I am more worried about China setting up a communications center down the road from our military system and hacking into it.

Have you emailed your Congress critters about the Mexican border? Tell them you are concerned.
Congress.gov.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies