Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 06:13 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Ok, I confess, I have never flown anywhere. I've never had a need too. I've gone all over the country but always by motor vehicle or train. My main question here is are the seats seriously so tight that a person who is 5'7" has to complain about needing more leg room? I mean damn, not cutting on your height at all, but I figured they'd make the seats at least roomy enough for a person of average height. I'm just a tad under 6 feet tall, and now I'm thinking it would be a nightmare to get on a plane if I'm going to be cramped up the entire trip.
Consider a Southwest Airlines Boeing 737-700. The seats (6 across) are each 17 inches wide. The pitch (that is, the distance between any point on the seat and the same point on the seat in front of you) is 31 inches. This gives you approximately 12 inches (I haven't measured it so don't quote this exact number) of space between the front edge of your seat and the back of the seat in front of you to stow your legs. The "new" bathrooms that they've installed in the past few years are two feet wide. Yes, two feet. Measure out a space that's two feet wide and you'll see just how cramped it is.

If you're flying Southwest, try and get a flight on the 737-MAX 8. The width is 17.8 inches and the pitch is 32 or 33 inches. Doesn't sound like much, but every fraction of an inch counts. I don't know how the bathrooms are. If you really want room, try and find a flight on a Delta A-220 and pay extra for Delta Comfort Plus. The width is 18.6 inches and the pitch is 34 inches. I believe this may be the roomiest domestic economy seat available in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 06:15 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Under my plan, the fat 280 lb. slob demanding a free seat would have to pay a surcharge of @$1,500 for her BMI of 40. Sounds about right to me. Why should the airlines have to transport her extra tonnage at no additional cost to her? It costs fuel, you know, especially with the Biden junta's ongoing war on fossil fuels.
If Plus Size people are going to have to pay by the pound, are they going to get larger seats? Seems only fair, since they're having to pay extra.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:55 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
“I want airlines to offer us business or first class upgrades for free if there are empty seats."

If an airline foolishly chooses to do this, the thought process is backwards. Offer the person who FITS in their coach seat the first-class or business seat, then lift up seat divider for the oversize person.

Old 07-02-2022, 06:00 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,798 times
Empowerment coach hahaha

I don't know what 20 stones is in pounds but I'm sure she's the size of a house

For people complaining that some of us being "cruel"

They expect free upgrades for being huge
That's insane

This is also the type of entitled person who will cram their lard into a seat they can't fit in,spilling over into the seat or seats next to them taking up someone else's space they didn't pay for ,because they refuse to pay for an upgrade.

Last edited by djohnslaw; 07-02-2022 at 06:10 AM..

Old 07-02-2022, 06:10 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
“I want airlines to offer us business or first class upgrades for free if there are empty seats."

If an airline foolishly chooses to do this, the thought process is backwards. Offer the person who FITS in their coach seat the first-class or business seat, then lift up seat divider for the oversize person.
Neither makes sense but your idea makes more sense than upgrading someone for being fat

Old 07-02-2022, 06:21 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Ummm, no, that's not how it works.

It's not the business that has to accommodate every little thing from customers. Not fair to other customers if they get extra seats for free.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/1898...se-plane-seat/
That's disgusting, I mean can you imagine having to sit beside these people.

They probably want extra free meals and snacks as well.

Perhaps the way forward is to put some seats down in the cargo hold, where the animal are housed.

Btw best of luck trying to get any concessions out of the likes of Easyjet or Ryanair in the UK, or the likes of Spirit Airlines or Frontier in the US.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-02-2022 at 06:35 AM..

Old 07-02-2022, 06:22 AM

1,349 posts, read 663,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Spoken as someone who has never been fat.

It's not as easy as you might think for someone to just drop weight.
It's easy to NOT gain weight

Last edited by personne; 07-02-2022 at 06:43 AM..

Old 07-02-2022, 06:24 AM

12,975 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Sorry, Bertha. You want to lug around an extra 200 pounds, you can pay for 2 seats.
I had the misfortune one time to fly from Huntsville to Washington on a smaller, regional jet - 2 seats on each side of the aisle. I had the window seat in about Row D or E. I was sitting there enjoying myself, waiting to take off, and here comes this giant of a guy - must've weighed over 500 lbs. His flab was well over the arm rest between the two seats, so he raised the arm rest, and I moved over as far as I could. He literally covered half my seat. Because the cylindrical shape of the fuselage is pretty small in diameter, I was against the outside wall with my head bent sideways at about a 30 degree angle. I had to stay that way for the entire 1.5 hour trip. He definitely should have been required to buy two seats. The plane was full so the stewardess couldn't move me anywhere else.

Old 07-02-2022, 06:33 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,600,617 times
Evert time a law is amended, the 49% of the House who voted against the amendment should be arrested for it. Right?

Old 07-02-2022, 06:53 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Spoken as someone who has never been fat.

It's not as easy as you might think for someone to just drop weight.
And yet sitting at the airport, you see these large folks chowing down on Big Mac`s and fries, large sodas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies