Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 02:23 PM

1,213 posts, read 564,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Also forgot about The Covid. I thought Joe was going to "shut down the virus"?
Daily cases and daily deaths are UP from this time last year in the US.

Darn it, he told us he had a plan!
He did! His plan to get his ass in the White House!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 02:33 PM

9,706 posts, read 14,206,718 times
After Biden's 50+/- years feeding at the Public Trough, he finally got what he wanted....The Presidency. The people who supported/voted for this empty-headed creep should be ashamed of themselves. We, conservatives, saw it coming years ago, when Biden continually lied about his "prestigious" life and experience. He's "experienced" for sure. An "experienced" liar.

Old 07-05-2022, 02:35 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,401,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Care to tell us what Trump did that created the worst of the worst?
I recognize that not everyone shares my personal leanings, so there's not much point in going over what I most hated. But what I think he is responsible for that will live in infamy is that every day, in every way, he took the office of the President and made it a joke. That office is too powerful, too influential to be held by someone who doesn't take it seriously. And it's not just domestic power and influence--the rest of the world takes it seriously too.

As a New Yorker I knew who he was from decades ago, so obviously I didn't vote for him. But I did entertain the idea that the Presidency would make him stand up and pay attention, admit to needing help, and care enough about America and the world to stay out of the way when it mattered. But that very first day when I saw Sean Spicer talking at the White House podium about the size of the inaguration audience I knew that ship had sailed.

I realize this is a thread about the economy so I will bow out--to me the economy is NOT the most important factor of a presidency.

Old 07-05-2022, 02:59 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,060,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
This is 2022...you can't use "pandemic" as an excuse for the next decade.

2020 and 2021 were the "pandemic years".
Amen

Old 07-05-2022, 03:30 PM

13,608 posts, read 9,644,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
...That office is too powerful, too influential to be held by someone who doesn't take it seriously. And it's not just domestic power and influence--the rest of the world takes it seriously too.
Precisely. Which is why, in choosing the lesser evil, it is better to have somebody potentially incompetent than a bombastic lout who refuses to listen and who insists exclusively on his own way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
I realize this is a thread about the economy so I will bow out--to me the economy is NOT the most important factor of a presidency.
Presidents have far less impact on the economy, good or ill, than is widely perceived. Stagflation in the 1970s wasn't the fault of Ford's or Carter's policies. It was the result of anti-market-forces and market-forces post WW2, which lingered too long. That, and the oil crisis.

Even when policies matter, there is a long lag, resulting in misallocation of credit or blame. Paul Volcker was a Carter appointee, whose policies didn't take sharp effect until Reagan. Reagan gets the credit for taming inflation, whereas it was actually a consequence of what Carter did... albeit too late.

The President's job is to be national therapist-in-chief. Presidents don't really decide anything; they only persuade, motivate and appear as symbols. Take the example of Kennedy. What were Kennedy's memorable and seminal policy ideas? Maybe the Peace Corps. But how did that change mainstream America? Instead we remember Kennedy as an eloquent young man who motivated people and who encapsulated the collective ethos. To Sanderling's point, Kennedy took the presidency seriously. Even if his solutions were milquetoast (what exactly did Kennedy do for civil rights, for example?), he was a positive influence to the national discourse.

Old 07-05-2022, 03:40 PM

18,461 posts, read 9,106,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
Recession? We’re goddam headed for a depression.
Then the democrats will blame it on the republicans after they sweep November.
It’s carnage out here. Inflation is a 55% per month, and rising. I just spend $72 on a loaf of bread and $30 for a gallon of gas.

It’s true.

If Trump were in the White House, none of this would have happened. Obviously.

Old 07-05-2022, 03:47 PM

42,661 posts, read 17,872,014 times
Times of high inflation/recession will always have the President mentioned.
That is the way history is written.

Old 07-05-2022, 04:21 PM

18,461 posts, read 9,106,258 times
Quote:
Times of high inflation/recession will always have the President mentioned.
That is the way history is written.
Absolutely. Any professional historian will tell you that presidents control the economy.

If we had a real man like Trump in the White House, he would have gunned down Inflation with an assault rifle, as Jesus intended.

Old 07-05-2022, 04:24 PM

20,794 posts, read 9,435,750 times
Quote:
But Yellen says there will be NO RECESSION.
So does Bill McBride.

Recession Measures and NBER
Quote:
These graphs are useful in trying to identify peaks and troughs in economic activity - and neither are suggesting a recession.

Old 07-05-2022, 04:26 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,760,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Also forgot about The Covid. I thought Joe was going to "shut down the virus"?
Daily cases and daily deaths are UP from this time last year in the US.

Darn it, he told us he had a plan!
He promised he was going to end the virus by the summer of 2021.

He also promised the buck would stop with him.

He also promised be would not try to blame others.

He also promised to bring the country together.

He also promised to be a moderate for all people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies