Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 05:35 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
It might seem like that would work but it doesn't. This has been shown in numerous countries around the world.

Those states that allow one to walk into a pawnshop and buy a gun - do they have violent/gun crime issues like NYS does?

I have heard it said that criminals cross state lines into easy access gun states and take them back. But again, do those easy access gun states have the gun crime problems of the difficult to access states?

You see, clearly it is not the ease of access to guns that is the problem. And correct me if I am wrong but a pawn shop cannot sell a gun to anyone who does not pass the universal background check.
Yes an NICS background check is required in a pawn shop same as a formal dealers but if they can't clear in the 72 hours they are required to allow the purchase. This was the law that allowed Dylan Roof to purchase a gun, the permit process in NY takes several months or a year with much more stringent requirements. This is why so many guns used in a crime in states like NY originate from those with weak gun laws.

Mississippi, Louisiana, Wyoming, Missouri and Alabama have some of the weakest gun laws and also the highest gun deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Apparently you aren't familiar with the SCOTUS ruling that prompted these new gun control measures. Basically, they ruled that New York's "may issue" policy was unconstitutional. In other words, an overly onerous permit process is unconstitutional.
The ruling indicated the person was not required to show a need it did not remove the permitting process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 06:31 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
NY can develop its own permitting process, you can still possess a gun.
Yeah, keeping the may-issue policy is what NY is doing in a very cutesy, smirky way.

Probably totally aware of what will happen, another legal-challenge, but NY is fine with that.

Old 07-04-2022, 06:46 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Many states you can walk into a pawn shop and walk out with a gun
So what? If they sell guns, they're FFLs. It's exactly the same process as buying a gun anywhere else.

That was a strange comment.

Old 07-04-2022, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yeah, keeping the may-issue policy is what NY is doing in a very cutesy, smirky way.

Probably totally aware of what will happen, another legal-challenge, but NY is fine with that.
No it is not.

What would the challenged be based upon.

Old 07-04-2022, 06:53 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
I don't get the problem with this. There's a reason why NY state is one of the lowest in the country when it comes to gun deaths, even with the crapholes upstate and NYC.
Any time someone says, "I don't get this," I have to shake my head a little.

Whenever you're thinking that in a gun rights discussion, there's a simple thing you can do which will make you instantly understand.

Take whatever rule, law, action, etc that's being discussed and apply it to your 1st Amendment right to free speech. Does it still sound like a good idea?

The 2nd Amendment isn't a 2nd class right, and it's about time that the courts finally started demonstrating that. We take our rights seriously - ALL of them - and we'll fight for them.

Old 07-04-2022, 06:56 AM

9,511 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
The ruling indicated the person was not required to show a need it did not remove the permitting process.
I didn't say the permit process was removed, I simply said that SCOTUS deemed said process onerous by requiring applicants to show a need.

Old 07-04-2022, 06:59 AM

Quote:
No it is not.

What would the challenged be based upon.
Well, there's that pesky 14th Amendment. And also, the 1st Amendment. NY knows their new proposed gun laws will be overturned, they're just buying time. They're playing games with the Constitution and should be held accountable for this nonsense.

Old 07-04-2022, 07:04 AM

8,420 posts, read 4,578,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
I don't get the problem with this. There's a reason why NY state is one of the lowest in the country when it comes to gun deaths, even with the crapholes upstate and NYC.

You don't see a problem with defying SC rulings?

Old 07-04-2022, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I didn't say the permit process was removed, I simply said that SCOTUS deemed said process onerous by requiring applicants to show a need.
I misunderstood your post, we are in agreement.

Old 07-04-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
You don't see a problem with defying SC rulings?
Liberals are pretty open about their disdain for the Constitution. The red flags for me was when the "Me Too" movement declared that all women should be believed, throwing the whole concept of due process into the toilet. I guess they're not smart enough to understand that the "ignore the Constitution" knife cuts both ways. The example I like to use is Roe v. Wade. Let's suppose it wasn't over turned and SCOTUS had ruled that abortion was under the purview of the federal government. Now, lets suppose that Republicans eventually take power. There would be nothing to stop them from implementing a nationwide abortion ban, because Roe v Wade wasn't overturned. It seems as if Dems can't think beyond "right here, right now" and aren't capable of understanding the longer term potential consequences of their actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies