Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 10:01 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Today it was $92 and that is after filling up last Thursday as well. I would still have over a 1/2 tank of gas or so if we had not gone to the lake house last weekend, shuttled kids for school activities and work related issues. Not bad It has NEVER cost me $200 fill up my car.

Yes, it DOES get 22 mpg on the highway. Easy. Not wishfull thinking at all. Those ratings always put the figures at the low mark. Maybe it does not make much financial sense for YOUR family to drive such a vehicle but for MY family in OUR situation it does.
Well, I guess I need to pass your driving skills on to the folks I've seen at my local Austin gas station paying $200 to fill up their Escaburban.

Sorry, but it doesn't make ANY sense for ANY family to waste money on a car that isn't fuel efficient. Now, if driving a car that's 5/9ths empty to school and back is ok with you, go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 10:07 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,791,609 times
Maybe she should downsize to a Subaru Impreza and get 17mpg?

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 05-29-2008 at 10:32 PM..

Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
And a mother dropping her kid off at soccer practice or waiting in the Starbucks drive thru for a latte or going to the mall or driving to the office ALONE does not constitute NEED. I realize there are people who have a legitimate need for a larger vehicle, but lets not sit here and blow smoke up people's arses and pretend that they're the majority.

Its trendy suburban "McMansion on a cul-de-sac" "keep up the Joneses" materialistic lemming types that are the typical SUV driver these days. The types that can't give up their precious careers and material things to raise their kids, so they have their children raised by daycare centers.....while they claim they "need" the multiple incomes, they live in new housing developments and drive $30,000 SUV's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My take on momof2dfw post is that utility vehicles are more versatile... the same vehicle can take the family, including Grandma and Grandpa to church on Sunday, tow Dad's boat to the lake on Saturday, carpool the kids to school during the week and transport large items in a pinch on the job...

The only thing that ever came close was the family station wagon... you could take 9 or 10 kids to little league in the morning, dad could go to the lumber yard and bring home 4' x 8' sheets of plywood and take the family home at Christmas to visit the in-laws...

My favorite wagon of all time is the 1972 Olds Vista Cruiser, 3rd row seating with the skylights and sunvisors in the back seat

Wagons with the 3 way tailgate would rate second and third would be the clam-shell rear gate... brings back lots of memories
I quoted the first post, then someone else said basically what I was going to say with the second. In my day, it was the minivan. Ours held 7. Yes, there were times when I was the only one in it, but it's awfully expensive to have a compact car for driving alone, a minivan or SUV for transporting kids, etc. We could take out the seats and get a lot of stuff in it, for example that lumber mentioned above, or to help someone move, etc.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:35 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,791,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
or to help someone move, etc.
The real reason you shouldn't have an SUV.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
The real reason you shouldn't have an SUV.
LOL! Too true, as my British friend says.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:21 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Sorry, but it doesn't make ANY sense for ANY family to waste money on a car that isn't fuel efficient. Now, if driving a car that's 5/9ths empty to school and back is ok with you, go for it.
Who decides what "makes sense"? You??? So, you are now putting yourself in deciding someone elses lifestyle? Sure sounds like it -

Old 05-30-2008, 06:39 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,303,331 times
why don't all you guys just drive what you can afford and stop fighting. what are you guys 12 ?

Old 05-30-2008, 09:28 AM

439 posts, read 1,232,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Well, I guess I need to pass your driving skills on to the folks I've seen at my local Austin gas station paying $200 to fill up their Escaburban.

Who are you to comment on some one elses lifestyle? I am asusming you dont know her, so dont come in her and try to be judge jury and executioner, cause you have NO right to. If she can fill up more power to her. I for one have always liked the Suburbans.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Who decides what "makes sense"? You??? So, you are now putting yourself in deciding someone elses lifestyle? Sure sounds like it -

Maybe you haven't read my other posts, but I'm against legislation forbidding SUVs and I'm against charging higher prices for gas for SUVs, in my opinion, which is what makes CD go, I think that SUVs are a waste of money and make bad financial sense. I'm sure that for some, my buying books at Barnes and Noble rather than checking them out of the public library doesn't make financial sense either. We're all allowed an opinion.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonredsock5 View Post
Who are you to comment on some one elses lifestyle? I am asusming you dont know her, so dont come in her and try to be judge jury and executioner, cause you have NO right to. If she can fill up more power to her. I for one have always liked the Suburbans.
Well, if everyone took your advice, CD would exist no more. I'm not one of the sheeple. I'm glad you like the Suburban, I'm glad she does, I'm glad she can fill it up. I really don't care if she drives it all alone to the end of the block back and forth a million times a day with the A/C turned up all the way. I think it's a waste of money to drive one, and YOU aren't going to change my mind on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies