Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2022, 09:31 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
if you personally knew that your child had attempted/threatened suicide, had later threatened to kill you and your family with a collection of knives ... would you turn around within 3 years and sign off on a form for a firearm for them?

No, I wouldn't. But I'm talking about legal responsibility, not whether or not the action was a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 09:33 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
so your compass only operates under what is within the law, and not what might be right or wrong based upon your own morals? Or your morals are that flexible?

No, that's not the case at all. See my response above.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:33 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I thought the same thing about the Dylan Roof and Sandy Hook mom taking her son with mental issues to a gun range to learn how to shoot, she couldn't find a better release like a batting or golf range. Part of the gun culture so ingrained in America.
What! You gotta be kidding! No I don't mean YOU gotta be kidding - that's just an expression of dumbfounded disbelief.

It reminds me of an incident that happened a long time ago in a far distant land. Someone living near me, a divorced woman with a young kid, feeling unsafe, decides to get a dog for security. In principle that's fine but this young mother wants a real guard dog (I suspect you already have an inkling where this is going). So she get a Doberman from the SPCA I think it was. And adult Doberman.

Right, so the Doberman attacked this young child. A few months later I was in the hospital with my young child of about the same age. I got to pick up and hold this young kid, still with visible scars on his face and skull. Brain damaged!

A bit off topic perhaps but I just see the similarity there. But no, I do not blame the 'gun culture' or the 'dog culture'. I blame what? Stupidity? Ignorance? Lack of awareness? I don't know. I am a gun person and I can tell y'all that no way in hell would I allow either of those scenarios to occur. Not if I had any say in it.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:39 PM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
I read an article today that he wasn't wandering alone. He was underneath his dying father, and someone grabbed him and rushed him to safety.

Heartbreaking, regardless of what the truth is.
Yeah, after I posted that I heard something about officials knowing that, at some point, his father was trying to physically shield him and I thought…..at least as he grows up he’ll know that his father acted on a normal instinct to protect him.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:48 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
That's not the underlying issue.

When gun ownership per household has gone down - or at the minimum, stayed constant - the underlying problem is NOT guns.

Our culture is rotted ... to the core. That is the underlying issue.

If your kid is a firebug, you don't blame the matches - you blame the kid.
----------------------

THIS.

Old 07-07-2022, 05:18 AM

3,254 posts, read 1,409,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And while you are correct that it might reduce gun deaths, getting rid of guns does not get rid of mass killings using other means. Australia's gun grab shows that. While mass shootings went down, mass killings by arson, beatings, vehicles and stabbings skyrocketed. And the number of people killed in mass killings stayed virtually the same.
Source?

Old 07-07-2022, 05:45 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
That's not the underlying issue.

When gun ownership per household has gone down - or at the minimum, stayed constant - the underlying problem is NOT guns.

Our culture is rotted ... to the core. That is the underlying issue.

If your kid is a firebug, you don't blame the matches - you blame the kid.
----------------------

THIS.
or the parent, system that allowed a child to get a hold of the matches they should never been able to get

Old 07-07-2022, 05:55 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times
I guess my main issue is that banning guns doesn’t lead to less guns in the hands of criminals. Just look at the countries to the south of us.

Does banning drugs lead to less people doing drugs? Why do we think it would work for guns? Did Prohibition stop people from drinking? Law-abiding citizens might follow the rules, the rest don’t.

If somehow we ignored the Constitution and banned all guns, then a massive black market would crop up immediately.

Old 07-07-2022, 06:32 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
When was the last time you ate any meat from an animal killed by an ar15.
I understand that they decimate the animal and make it near impossible to use it for anything other than target practice. Maybe if your target was a big game (do people eat rino and lion meat). Ok, don't ban it in africa - I can see the use there.
you went from telling us you know very little about guns (diff between auto and semi-auto for ex) to now claiming you "understand" something to be so, that doesn't actually exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRp1t_SlBzI

Certainly not pleasant for the anti-hunting or PETA crowd. This is a deer hunt video with an AR15 (per caption and appearance of the rifle). Go straight to 6 minutes for the shot, and then fast forward again to them holding the dead but fully intact deer.

I don't know guns. But it took me 10 seconds to google and find this video.

Old 07-07-2022, 06:37 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
“He was on our radar” is becoming a common theme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies