Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2022, 11:34 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Are things like this even newsworthy anymore? It's Illinois. They love crime and criminals so this should only be expected. It's really not news. Just assume that increased crime is the norm now. Just don't visit if you value your life.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/7/...parade-gunfire

The Highland Park Fourth of July parade ended in panic when shots were fired about 10 minutes after the parade kicked off at 10 a.m. Monday, striking an unknown number of parade-goers and sending hundreds of people running for safety.

Multiple people were shot. A Chicago Sun-Times reporter saw blankets covering three bloodied bodies and five other people wounded and bloodied near the parade’s reviewing stand.

Several witnesses said they heard multiple shots fired. One witness said he counted more than 20 shots.
Miles Zaremski, a Highland Park resident, told the Sun-Times: “I heard 20 to 25 shots, which were in rapid succession. So it couldn’t have been just a handgun or a shotgun.”

Zaremski said that after the shots at Central Avenue around Second Avenue in downtown Highland Park, he saw “people in that area that got shot,” including “a woman covered with blood . . . She did not survive.”
States have all kinds of culture, communities. Highland Park may not be far from Urban Chicago in your mind but it couldn't be further in lifestyle.

So North Charleston has its fair share of crime -- does that mean that crime in your area won't be newsworthy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 11:38 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
i understand that the police can’t exercise power until a crime is committed, but look at this young man who killed so many in highland park, and the others for that matter....uvalde, sandy hook for example. each was acting outside every conventional societal norm, but society today refuses to acknowledge that there IS an accepted norm. look at all the perversion the left wants us to believe is normal and then when these kids act out, biden blames guns.

weak parenting. a broken mental health system. isolation from a two year covid lockdown. the left pushing perversion. the perfect storm for kids thinking of killing innocent people going unchecked.
^ seems to blame everyone other than the shooter.

As it relates to this shooter, it appears most of his acting outside of a conventional norm was mostly online- videos and forums. According to local LE, he frequented message boards that were dedicated to murder, torture and mass shootings. Who knew?

Speculation on my part, his father may have rationalized financially enabling him to pursue an “artistic path”.

The world is full of teens/ young adults who appear outside of “conventional norms”. Most do not plan nor engage in mass shootings of random people.

This guy seems to be just another creepy loner loser who sought infamy.

Obviously his father and uncle who lived with him did not perceive he was a danger to himself or others.

Old 07-05-2022, 11:39 AM

10,079 posts, read 7,758,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
States have all kinds of culture, communities. Highland Park may not be far from Urban Chicago in your mind but it couldn't be further in lifestyle.

So North Charleston has its fair share of crime -- does that mean that crime in your area won't be newsworthy?
I'm sorry but what in the heck are you talking about? Are you still trying to say I'm racist? I re-read what I quoted and what I said and can't figure out what it is you are saying?

To me Illinois has lax crime laws so I expect higher crime just like I do NY. I never mentioned culture or race at all.

You keep pushing like you want to blame me for saying it's racial when I never ever mentioned race. That's on you. You're the one mentioning race.

Old 07-05-2022, 11:49 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Which could explain one of his tattoos.

I am wondering how he afforded them. I guess he was getting money from his dad.
Maybe he and dad long enjoyed shooting at ranges, the way the Sandy Hook shooter and his mother did. It was a thread of a connection between parent and child who otherwise appeared to live in a fantasy online world.

No reasonable way to predict the potential for future violence in absence of a history of violence.

Old 07-05-2022, 11:56 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
The moment I saw the photo of the suspect's face only one word came to mind: INCEL
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-05-2022, 11:57 AM

29,447 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
This is a great post - and imho, 100% accurate.

There's a graph out there, that I'm too lazy to find right now, that links the increase in mass shootings to the increase in usage of social media.

I think that's pretty much dead on.
It isn't just social media, or the media....they are just tools, much like a firearm. It is what people do with these tools, in the case of social media, they let themselves be consumed by it, twisting their views, or creating a deep hatred or anger, until they snap.

Old 07-05-2022, 12:00 PM

13,249 posts, read 7,295,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The moment I saw the photo of the suspect's face only one word came to mind: INCEL
I thought the same thing I'm suspecting when the details come out he has a history with mental illness, and had been diagnosed by a psychiatrist.

Old 07-05-2022, 12:00 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

Right. Highland Park has a median income of $90,000. That is very high for median income. By contrast, Beverly Hills has a median income of $55,000. It was a very safe community before now. For Illinois overall, overall crime rate was 1 in every 239 people. In Highland Park, it was 1 in every 1006 people.

One person who was there said he had been trying to talk his daughter into moving there from Chicago because he was worried about her safety there. One man who died in his wheelchair, lived in Mexico and his family talked him into coming to live with them there, because they were worried about his safety.

Old 07-05-2022, 12:04 PM

11,428 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
^ seems to blame everyone other than the shooter.

As it relates to this shooter, it appears most of his acting outside of a conventional norm was mostly online- videos and forums. According to local LE, he frequented message boards that were dedicated to murder, torture and mass shootings. Who knew?

Speculation on my part, his father may have rationalized financially enabling him to pursue an “artistic path”.

The world is full of teens/ young adults who appear outside of “conventional norms”. Most do not plan nor engage in mass shootings of random people.

This guy seems to be just another creepy loner loser who sought infamy.

Obviously his father and uncle who lived with him did not perceive he was a danger to himself or others.

In a rational world, the FBI would be pulling out the stops to interview every one of these mentally ill mass shooters over the past 20 years, to completely understand their motivation and thought process and see if there is any kind of a common pattern they can use to attempt to classify people in this "potential mass murderer" category.

I am not aware of any such project being done in the FBI. I get that they build profiles on these guys, but we need a serious deep dive in understanding the exact specific characteristics of these guys and how and why they go off the rails into acting on their fantasies.

You would think by now this would be a top priority of the FBI.

Old 07-05-2022, 12:07 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Well, A and B.

A: Given our world since 2001, I would consider going anywhere on, about a holiday as reason to be on alert.

B: If I had to travel somewhere on a holiday (but would prefer not to), I certainly would be packing in a way that most (but not all) would consider heavy......but then again, if I have to leave town on any trip, given our world since 2001, that's the way I travel....anyhow.

Is this incident really surprising? No.......considering our world since 2001.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies