Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 04:54 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times

Advertisements

We hear the common refrain from pro-abortion leftists that Republicans (of course, they forget that many Democrats are pro-life, too, to include Governor John Bel Edwards of Louisiana in a more high profile position) are all about telling women what to do with their bodies and that there is no other medical issue regulated like abortion is.

That got me thinking, is this true?

Basic research and commonsense says that is is not true.

Here are some examples.

Men, alone, are required to register for the Selective Service, the failure to comply threatens men with the loss various government benefits. Actual conscription in the US Armed Forces ended only in 1973 and hundreds of thousands of men lost their lives due to conscription.

Neither men nor women can sell their most of their organs, to include kidneys, liver (which, unlike the kidneys, can rejuvenate itself), etc.

I'm happy to hear about other things.

The parallels don't have to be unique to the abortion debate. But the bottom line is that there are plenty of cases of consequence where people's bodily "autonomy" is being regulated by the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 04:58 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
Physician assisted suicide is only legal in a few states.

To me, it should be available in all.

Old 07-04-2022, 05:29 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post

Good example, even though I may personally disagree on some of the practice.

Old 07-04-2022, 05:32 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:

I heard a very anti segment on NPR once.

Old 07-04-2022, 06:46 PM

Other examples are the prohibition of marijuana, recreational drugs and prostitution.

Old 07-04-2022, 07:33 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
Quote:

This should be subject to state law. If you don't like your state's law, you are free to move.

Old 07-05-2022, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
This should be subject to state law. If you don't like your state's law, you are free to move.
Yes, I know that. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I hope as a matter of policy it is adopted in all of the states. Just because something is a matter of state law doesn't mean all states can't embrace it. As a random example, burglary is a matter of state law yet it is illegal in all states (the definition and punishment may vary somewhat). This thread is simply about examples of where government (be it state or federal) regulates what one can do with one's own body.

Old 07-05-2022, 03:11 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Or vote for different people.

Old 07-05-2022, 04:44 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
We hear the common refrain from pro-abortion leftists that Republicans (of course, they forget that many Democrats are pro-life, too, to include Governor John Bel Edwards of Louisiana in a more high profile position) are all about telling women what to do with their bodies and that there is no other medical issue regulated like abortion is.

That got me thinking, is this true?

Basic research and commonsense says that is is not true.

Here are some examples.

Men, alone, are required to register for the Selective Service, the failure to comply threatens men with the loss various government benefits. Actual conscription in the US Armed Forces ended only in 1973 and hundreds of thousands of men lost their lives due to conscription.

Neither men nor women can sell their most of their organs, to include kidneys, liver (which, unlike the kidneys, can rejuvenate itself), etc.

I'm happy to hear about other things.

The parallels don't have to be unique to the abortion debate. But the bottom line is that there are plenty of cases of consequence where people's bodily "autonomy" is being regulated by the government.
Laws forcing us to wear seat belts and helmets.

Old 07-05-2022, 05:21 AM

8,418 posts, read 4,575,875 times
One that was tried but was ultimately unsuccessful was vaccine mandates. Many were harmed in the process. Yet still we have a member of the current administration responsible for that attempt vilifying the practice:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/02/polit...val/index.html

Talk about hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies