Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2022, 07:51 AM
bu2

24,094 posts, read 14,879,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
He made the grave error of reaching for his wallet because he thought they'd be asking for ID.

Everyone should read the part of Malcolm Gladwell's book, Blink, that deals with the psychology of the police behavior in play in the Amadou Diallo killing.
More police get killed in traffic stops than anywhere else.

You need to understand what the guy with a gun is thinking instead of wallowing in your own anger at getting stopped.

When I get stopped I quickly pull out my license and insurance card and put my hands on the dash where they can see them. That's what you should do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 08:03 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

You need to understand what the guy with a gun is thinking instead of wallowing in your own anger at getting stopped.

When I get stopped I quickly pull out my license and insurance card and put my hands on the dash where they can see them. That's what you should do.
No, just no.

Its not a civilians job to bend over backwards to make the civil servant feel comfortable, no matter how skittish they are.
Its the civil servants job to make the civilian feel comfortable, that is if they allegedly took an oath to protect and serve. Thats what we pay them for.

The way you dont hold them accountable represents what has given police the entitlement that they have to treat people any way they feel, and it is totally wrong.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:04 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

Diallo was in his dimly lit hallway of his apartment.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:25 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,964,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
No, just no.

Its not a civilians job to bend over backwards to make the civil servant feel comfortable, no matter how skittish they are.
Its the civil servants job to make the civilian feel comfortable, that is if they allegedly took an oath to protect and serve. Thats what we pay them for.

The way you dont hold them accountable represents what has given police the entitlement that they have to treat people any way they feel, and it is totally wrong.
Not in the civilized first world. The CITIZEN should be smart enough to COMPLY WITH THE POLICE.

If you have a beef, take it to court, don't fight your battle in the streets.

In the streets, the POLICE have the right of way. We the taxpayers like our property values to remain high. We want police to aggressively pursue criminals and WE GIVE THEM THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT.

They are obviously bound by all the laws that anyone else is, but the citizen should not face the cops with a chip on their shoulder looking to assert dominance.

When you create a system where the cops are neutered, you get Youngstown, Detroit, inner city Chicago, etc.

No one wants to live or invest in those areas because they are war zones, not livable neighborhoods.

The police deal with the scum of the Earth that want them dead daily. Citizens don't.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:31 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post

Castile was a disturbing case. The poor woman was watching him die in front of her and she came close to losing her composure at times, but she held it together for her daughter's sake. She is heard in the video trying to keep her baby calm. The cops were rough with her and had her handcuffed to the ground even though she did nothing wrong. The cops even tried to get the recording, if I recall correctly. I sometimes have wondered how she and the little girl are doing.
Even white gun owners were angry over the Castile case. The NRA lost a lot of members when they sided with the cop on that one.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:32 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
As long as the ghettos are breeding grounds for feral young men, LEOs are gonna be quick to use force on them and anyone else of the same skin color.
No, y'all can't make that comment and at the same time assert that cops kill and are killed by more white criminals than black criminals.

If the second is true, then the first should not be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
No, just no.

Now, there is a case to be made about a gang-like mindset and poor training of police officers in many places.

Yes, I can pull up some horror videos of whites being victimized by police as well.

Police are supposed to be the trained professionals and certainly have much more experience with interactions than any given civilian. They are the ones who ought to know how to manage the interaction.

It should not be necessary for a civilian to treat a police officer as though he was a grizzly bear that had wandered into the camp.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:37 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Was there a case where a black person didn’t actively resist the arrest and still got shot?

I said “actively” to allow minor scuffles with the arresting officers. “Minor” means cursing, push, and shove. It does not mean bashing the officer’s head against the car door or attempting to grab the officer’s gun.
It happens more to white people. Not actively resisting and getting harmed does happen, although in the scheme of things it is infrequent. Unfortunately the cop doesn't get punished often enough.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:34 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Police brutality and mistreatment have been going on forever, regardless of behavior. If I am obeying the law, then I'm entitled to be treated just like anyone else. Thus "you're being treated badly because of people who look like you" is something that goes on in dictatorships. Whatever happened to individual rights?
Again, as long as you are happy with the status quo, you are right. If you want things to be different, then you and others need to do something different.

Old 07-06-2022, 10:12 AM

73,006 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Again, as long as you are happy with the status quo, you are right. If you want things to be different, then you and others need to do something different.
I'm not happy, but it also know that the persons who keep committing crimes won't listen. They'll just say "you act White" or "I'm gonna do me". Those same criminals would soon kill me than listen to me. All that is within MY power is to obey the law and never protect criminals on the occasion a crime is committed. I cannot make some people obey the law if they don't even respect the police.

I obey the law. I do everything I can to be a productive citizen. I've also testified against criminals. I avoid thugs of any race as much as possible. What more can you ask of me?

Old 07-06-2022, 10:14 AM

73,006 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
That would be the Patriot Guard Riders. Most motorcycle organizations and even "motorcycle clubs" have nothing to do with criminal gangs. Organizations such as Bikers Against Child Abuse or Guardians of the Children (helping abused children) Kindred Spirits Against Diabetes (raises money and helps get insulin to diabetics, sends kids to summer camp), Christian Motorcycle Association (self explanatory) or Combat Vets Association (support for veterans) are just a few. I'm part of Eagle Riders (Fraternal Order of Eagles) a community service group. Vast majority of these groups have nothing to do with "gangs" or any kind of crime.
Agreed. There is a big difference between motorcycle clubs and motorcycle gangs. Those organizations you mentioned are clubs, service groups. Motorcycle gangs include groups like Hells Angels and Bandidos. No such thing as a good gang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies