Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 10:39 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,822,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What part of violation of 4th Amendment is not understood?

BTW, that underclass subculture of violence has been around for at least a century. Memphis recorded murder rates as high as 89 murders per 100,000 in the 1910s.
If it has legacy status, then there is no reason to try to change it, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 11:12 AM

5,948 posts, read 3,703,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Black-on-black violence takes close to 10,000 lives per year, while the black birth rate exceeds 500,000 per year, so attrition is not going to resolve this problem. (Meanwhile, cops shooting unarmed black men accounts for about a dozen deaths per year.)

What I witnessed in 3 decades of teaching ghetto teenagers is that most of them had zero interest in changing their situation. To them, "thug-life is exciting while middle-class life is boring".

None of the males had jobs or chores to do while growing up and when they were finally introduced to "work" as adults, they hated it. Why work when you can steal, or sell drugs, or pimp? "Easy money"!

I don't believe this problem is fixable. The best solution is to move to where these people don't live. That's what I did.
Sad, but most likely true. Thanks for telling your story. I think it has more impact coming from someone who once lived in the "hood" than from some whitey from suburbia.

Old 07-07-2022, 11:20 AM

72,959 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
If it has legacy status, then there is no reason to try to change it, right?
1) What part of violation of 4th Amendment is not understood?

2) I never said this behavior should continue. My point was that this is a century old problem that has never really been solved. Black middle class people left the ghettos once housing discrimination became illegal.

Black people who have tried to stop it find theme dealing with individuals who won't listen.

Old 07-07-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Sad, but most likely true. Thanks for telling your story. I think it has more impact coming from someone who once lived in the "hood" than from some whitey from suburbia.
I never really spent much time in the 'hood. Product of a Black middle class family. I grew up in suburban areas (or rather exurhan areas).

Old 07-07-2022, 11:39 AM

5,948 posts, read 3,703,412 times
Quote:
S&F violates the 4th Amendment.
Not necessarily. Here is the Fourth Amendment:

Fourth Amendment
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

As you can see, the protection provided by the 4th is dependent upon the "reasonableness" of the search. That "reasonableness" would be determined by the circumstances regarding the location, situation, and actions of the people being searched.

For example, a person sitting at home watching TV would not be presenting reasonable cause for a search unless the authorities had specific evidence linking that person to a crime. OTOH, a person "hanging out" on a street corner at 1:00 AM in a crime infested part of town could well be considered as presenting reasonable cause for a search.

It wouldn't be a huge leap of logic to conclude that the gang on the street corner fits the description of numerous criminals who have been seen perpetrating crimes on numerous individuals in the same neighborhood in recent weeks or months.

Therefore, stopping and searching of such individuals could well be considered as reasonable. And, if they happen to have an illegal weapon in their possession, they could be jailed and put on trial for the crime.

Old 07-07-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
1) What part of violation of 4th Amendment is not understood?
The part where the Supreme Court makes a definitive ruling. Right now, that has not been done, but with the conservative majority, it would likely be ruled constitutional, if the court decides to revisit the law.

No one enjoys TSA searches at airports, but they do make us safer. If not for those searches, undoubtedly, the brawls at airports/aboard aircraft (and on cruise ships) would turn into shootouts.

I travel worldwide, yet I still avoid large American cities due to their instability.

Old 07-07-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Not necessarily. Here is the Fourth Amendment:

Fourth Amendment
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

As you can see, the protection provided by the 4th is dependent upon the "reasonableness" of the search. That "reasonableness" would be determined by the circumstances regarding the location, situation, and actions of the people being searched.

For example, a person sitting at home watching TV would not be presenting reasonable cause for a search unless the authorities had specific evidence linking that person to a crime. OTOH, a person "hanging out" on a street corner at 1:00 AM in a crime infested part of town could well be considered as presenting reasonable cause for a search.

It wouldn't be a huge leap of logic to conclude that the gang on the street corner fits the description of numerous criminals who have been seen perpetrating crimes on numerous individuals in the same neighborhood in recent weeks or months.

Therefore, stopping and searching of such individuals could well be considered as reasonable. And, if they happen to have an illegal weapon in their possession, they could be jailed and put on trial for the crime.
If a person is being stopped for illegal activity or suspicious activity, that is one thing. However,r S&F operates under less than reasonable cause. The thing is, such searches aren't limited to the gang members on the street. It turns into pulling people over based on a hunch.

Old 07-07-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
The part where the Supreme Court makes a definitive ruling. Right now, that has not been done, but with the conservative majority, it would likely be ruled constitutional, if the court decides to revisit the law.

No one enjoys TSA searches at airports, but they do make us safer. If not for those searches, undoubtedly, the brawls at airports/aboard aircraft (and on cruise ships) would turn into shootouts.

I travel worldwide, yet I still avoid large American cities due to their instability.
If I am not doing anything illegal or suspicious, LEAVE ME ALONE. One reason I have a "Live Free or Die" mentality.

I don't care what you have to say about the TSA. I'm still not going to support S&F, period.

By the way, I don't avoid large American cities, with some exceptions. My safety is a concern for me. At the same time, I don't fear visiting a city like Denver, Columbus, San Antonio (I was there a few months ago), or Boston. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to visit St. Louis or Birmingham right now. Not without other people with me. And not without a 9 mm on my hip. There are some small towns where I didn't feel safe as well.

Old 07-07-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Wait until new years, you'll get your wish.
I'd actually do something like that, if I lived way out in the boonies. I wouldn't mind doing so, in addition to shooting off fireworks.

Old 07-07-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
If I am not doing anything illegal or suspicious, LEAVE ME ALONE. One reason I have a "Live Free or Die" mentality.

I don't care what you have to say about the TSA. I'm still not going to support S&F, period.

By the way, I don't avoid large American cities, with some exceptions. My safety is a concern for me. At the same time, I don't fear visiting a city like Denver, Columbus, San Antonio (I was there a few months ago), or Boston. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to visit St. Louis or Birmingham right now. Not without other people with me. And not without a 9 mm on my hip. There are some small towns where I didn't feel safe as well.
I continually express my concern for the well-being of my fellow Americans, while you constantly express concern for yourself only. Perhaps you should reexamine your degree of empathy for others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies