Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2022, 02:29 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And how many poor women can't even afford birth control pills, and those that don't have insurance. I was shocked how expensive birth control pills are. Many poor women simply can't afford them.
Not an issue. US taxpayers fund over 4,000 Title X Family Planning Clinics located throughout the US that provide FREE or very low-cost (sliding fee scale) contraception services/meds/devices. My smaller than average red state has 112. They're all administered by county health departments. None are Planned Parenthood clinics.

TX, another example, has 177 Title X FP Clinics but only 11 Planned Parenthood clinics. Planned Parenthood just isn't that big of a deal. There aren't very many of them.

Old 07-07-2022, 02:31 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
Hello, it’s not 1932 anymore. Just stop with the fear mongering.
There won’t be young innocent girls with coat hangers in dark alleys.
Desperate women do desperate things. Falling down stairs. Having their boyfriends hit them in the stomach. Going to an unqualified person for an illegal abortion or a self aborting will happen.

Old 07-07-2022, 02:36 PM

1,213 posts, read 567,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Desperate women do desperate things. Falling down stairs. Having their boyfriends hit them in the stomach. Going to an unqualified person for an illegal abortion or a self aborting will happen.
So nothing will change then.
Or just maybe, they’ll be a little more careful when getting it on.
And btw…I am 100% pro-choice.

Old 07-07-2022, 02:45 PM

267 posts, read 91,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Are you sure? https://imprintnews.org/childrens-me...er-youth/47755
There is a lot of abuse that goes on in foster homes. I have a friend in and out of them who speaks of the indifference, the abuse; from being denied food, to kneeling on rice for hours, to whippings to sexual abuse and rape. A lifetime of no family, no one that supports you, anti-depressants, hospitalizations.
I think that is the exception rather than the rule. Anecdotal but I know several foster families and they all provide a good stable environment.

There is a small population in all groups biological, adoptive and foster that are abusive.

Old 07-07-2022, 02:55 PM

1,265 posts, read 444,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And how many poor women can't even afford birth control pills, and those that don't have insurance. I was shocked how expensive birth control pills are. Many poor women simply can't afford them.
Why is it the woman’s problem takes two to tango

Old 07-07-2022, 03:16 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Permit View Post
Why is it the woman’s problem takes two to tango
And, Medicaid will pay for birth control to include sterilization, so the poor will only have to go to the clinic for birth control. There are also health departments that dispense birth control.

Both the man and the woman, if neither wants a baby, should be using birth control. Having unprotected sense kind of means when they are sleeping around that they aren't too bright and/or don't give a darn about their health.

How many people wait to adopt an infant?

https://adopt.org/faqs#:~:text=The%2...of%20placement.

Two to seven years to adopt a healthy infant, so that is how long the wait is at this point.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...s-hard/620258/

"When I recently searched AdoptUSKids, the nationwide, government-funded website for foster-care adoptions, only about 40 kids under age 5, out of the 4,000 registered, appeared in my search. Many of those 40 had extensive medical needs or were part of a sibling group—a sign that the child is in even greater need of a stable family, but also a more challenging experience for their adoptive parents."

I am familiar with the AdoptUSkids, so I know this is true, and has been for more than a decade.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:18 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
There were desperate women BEFORE Roe vs Wade was overturned. There were mothers leaving their newborns in trash cans and toilets, when they could've dropped the baby off at the hospital or fire station, etc. THAT'S mental illness, and Roe vs. Wade can't/couldn't fix that.

There are mothers who drown their kids in the bath tub. Fathers who beat their and their GF's babies. This all happened BEFORE Roe Vs. Wade was overturned. Abortion has been legal since 1973. 50 years! 50 years, and yet there's STILL a bunch of kids in foster care, and there's STILL desperate parents who do terrible things to their kids.

Now...I have concerns about the Supreme Court decision ramifications...I do. I heard of a case where a woman was in the midst of a miscarriage, and her OB/GYN refused to do a D & C in light of the Supreme Court ruling. THAT concerns me. I'm hoping those kind of details get ironed out...and I understand that they need to be ironed out.

But this foster care thing is misleading, and frankly, I find it lame. 50 years of Roe VS Wade didn't make foster care go away.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:23 PM

22,449 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Considering that there are no longer any stigmas regarding having babies out of wedlock...

Why not carry the baby to term and relinquish him/her for adoption? These days, one can arrange for an open adoption where the adoptive parents sent yearly letters and photos to the birth mother. Times are different now. There is no longer a need to have a fully closed adoption (unless the birth mother wants that). Also, no need to go to a "home for wayward girls" until the baby is born.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:33 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Considering that there are no longer any stigmas regarding having babies out of wedlock...

Why not carry the baby to term and relinquish him/her for adoption? These days, one can arrange for an open adoption where the adoptive parents sent yearly letters and photos to the birth mother. Times are different now. There is no longer a need to have a fully closed adoption (unless the birth mother wants that). Also, no need to go to a "home for wayward girls" until the baby is born.
Giving up a baby to adoption isn’t easy. Adoption is a remedy for not wanting to parent. It isn’t a remedy to not wanting to remain pregnant, labor and deliver.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:38 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Giving up a baby to adoption isn’t easy. Adoption is a remedy for not wanting to parent. It isn’t a remedy to not wanting to remain pregnant, labor and deliver.
No...it's not easy. I've done it. It's hard. BUT, you know...there's plan B. If you have unprotected sex, one should get thee to a drug store and get Plan B. Don't even need a prescription, and there's a Walgreens on every corner.

But maybe we should acknowledge that at some point, someone ELSE'S life is important too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies