Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2022, 07:38 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
America's foster care systems are already seriously underfunded and overstressed...

End of Roe v. Wade may overwhelm foster care systems - Axios
Okay ... "The current rate for 2013, 1.86 births per woman, puts the U.S. slightly below many other developed countries."
Adoptions may be impacted by drastic drop in U.S. fertility rate

"What are the implications for adoptive families? Assuming no change in the number of American families seeking to adopt, the findings suggest:

There will be fewer babies available for adoption in the U.S and elsewhere.
Families wishing to adopt at birth will likely face longer wait times before being matched with a birth mother.
Families wishing to adopt older children (such as those in foster care) and those with differing racial characteristics will likely continue to have shorter wait times.
Families seeking to adopt children from abroad may wish to avoid countries with birth rates significantly below the rate for Americans—especially Japan and Russia—because those societies face difficulties just holding their own populations steady."

Is there finally some good news on the birthrate front?

"The total fertility rate for the United States in 2021 was 1,663.5 births per 1,000 women, also a 1% increase over the previous year. That number estimates the total number of births a hypothetical group of 1,000 women would have over their lifetimes, based on the age-specific birth rate in a given year. "

So what are we after really here? ... May overwhelm, but not really?

Old 07-07-2022, 07:45 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
The foster care system is overloaded now. This will just make it worse.

I have always said that the ending of Roe vs. Wade will bring harm to more children, but it seems that those who are completely against abortion, period, only care about newborn babies and could not care less about what happens to these babies if they are unwanted.

Btw, my husband adopted two older kids after fostering them for a year.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:46 AM

1,213 posts, read 567,936 times
Stooooooooooop with the fear mongering!!!!!!!!

Old 07-07-2022, 08:28 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Yep you're right, girls today aren't being raised to stand on their own and take control of their lives.

History has shown us that making abortion illegal has not made women (you forget men are involved in procreation?) take more positive control of their lives. Which I assume you mean abstain from sex and or use BC 100% infallibly (you forget condoms are used by men?).

We also see, through observation and statistics, that the women who most often seek abortion are poor and under educated. Many have not had any positive role model to teach them to take more positive control of their lives. Many of the very ones who seek abortion are not going to magically strive harder to take positive control of their lives.

You assume women are not selective of who they sleep with. Most of these women have partners or are in a relationship. All varieties of people have unwanted pregnancies (45%). It is not just people who are having casual sex with virtual strangers. I will assume though that is just another attempt at taking any responsibility for reproduction off the shoulders of men.

Again, the majority of women seeking abortion dont have a career or are unable to have a career (75% are poor and under the poverty guidelines).

Actually, more women today are focusing on careers and their future. More women are getting degrees and entering more traditionally male dominated fields. So girls are being raised to stand on their own and take control of their lives but that does not mean there will not be a certain socioeconomic class that is at a disadvantage and may well never have the privilege to be well educated, mentored, parented, supported, career oriented, confident and independent. Or that unplanned pregnancies wont happen. Certainly, taking away easily assessable, legal, safe abortion options will not magically end this.

Who is to say terminating an unplanned, untimely pregnancy is not standing on their own two feet and taking control of their lives so they have a future and can afford to raise their children when they are financially and emotionally ready.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:49 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Every time I read a thread like this the more I believe that women should always just say NO. And I mean married women too. Are men prepared to never have sex (with a partner) unless procreation is the goal?

Old 07-07-2022, 09:01 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Complete and total nonsense. There are far more parents who want to adopt infants than new infants.

Even if there are a bunch more, they will get adopted.
What will most likely happen is that these infants will not immediately be placed for adoption. Statistically, only 4% of women put their babies up for adoption. Probably they will attempt to raise the child a year or three, decide they cant, then the child will go into foster care and be bounced around a while.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:12 AM

50,782 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
Stooooooooooop with the fear mongering!!!!!!!!
How is it fear mongering? Can you see any other scenario that’s possible? It is fact that the system is already overloaded, and it is fact that once abortion is denied to most women who want it, especially poor women, there will be many more unwanted babies born. How can you call it fear mongering? What part of this is speculative?

Old 07-07-2022, 09:13 AM

50,782 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What will most likely happen is that these infants will not immediately be placed for adoption. Statistically, only 4% of women put their babies up for adoption. Probably they will attempt to raise the child a year or three, decide they cant, then the child will go into foster care and be bounced around a while.
They also aren’t going to adopt all the babies. There are many unwanted babies of color that go unadopted.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Every time I read a thread like this the more I believe that women should always just say NO. And I mean married women too. Are men prepared to never have sex (with a partner) unless procreation is the goal?
They didn't just say no, they said hell no and with sterilization contraceptive procedures undergone, they never need to worry about having children for the rest of their natural born lives.

In 2001 there were 6.4 million pregnancies and in 2021 3.7 million. The most commonly contraceptive method used by male and female is sterilization.

Every time I read a thread like this, it's like wth?

219 million women in the u.s. rely on sterilization and for low income, medicaid pays for it.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
How is it fear mongering? Can you see any other scenario that’s possible? It is fact that the system is already overloaded, and it is fact that once abortion is denied to most women who want it, especially poor women, there will be many more unwanted babies born. How can you call it fear mongering? What part of this is speculative?
3.7 million babies born in a population the size of the u.s., you can sell that to me; not in any real way, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies