Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 06:53 PM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
I can't wrap my head around your post. I had to reread it 3x. I mean major major downplaying of what actually happened. To highlight Till whistling at her (which we don't even know to be true) but simply say he was later found "dead in a river is" mind boggling. You don't even mention that he was 14 at the time but mention that she ran to her car and locked the door??????

His mother had his casket open at the funeral because she wanted to highlight the brutality of his murder. If I didn't know the facts of the case your post almost seems sympathetic to her.
It was a brief recap to act as a memory jog and background. Most everyone knows he was a teen and I said they abducted him. The post is more about what is happening now.
Moderators for US and World Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 06:54 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
And they think she has the arrest warrant stored at the nursing home where she lives?
No.

They have the arrest warrant.

They want it to be executed on her now, instead of remaining filed away in the courthouse. It's not clear why it wasn't executed in the first place.

It seems very unlikely that she can still be prosecuted for whatever the warrant was for in the first place, but I don't blame them for being angry at both her, and the community that stood by and didn't care what happened to Emmet.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:08 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
And what exactly were they going to do if they found her?

With this modern thing called the Internet, it seems like there may be better ways to try and find this person than ambush-style raids on Nursing and Retirement Homes.

But that wouldn't get any media attention now, would it.

If I understand this correctly, taking the law into your own hands, i.e., lynching a young man that may or may not have whistled at a grocery store worker, is a very bad thing.

Meanwhile, a Black Panther mob hunting down the aging and frail accuser for some unstated purpose more than six decades later is just fine and dandy.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:20 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,603,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No.

They want it to be executed on her now, instead of remaining filed away in the courthouse. It's not clear why it wasn't executed in the first place.

It seems very unlikely that she can still be prosecuted for whatever the warrant was for in the first place, but I don't blame them for being angry at both her, and the community that stood by and didn't care what happened to Emmet.
I blame them for terrorizing innocent senior citizens in their homes. If they have a beef about serving the arrest warrant, they should go to the police, or the sheriff, or whoever handles warrants in that town. And how did they get their hands on the arrest warrant anyway?

Old 07-07-2022, 07:22 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
No.

Apparently the original arrest warrant was for kidnapping and there is no statute of limitations for that in Mississippi.

https://codes.findlaw.com/ms/title-9...ct-99-1-5.html

Last edited by momonkey; 07-07-2022 at 07:46 PM..

Old 07-07-2022, 07:29 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I blame them for terrorizing innocent senior citizens in their homes. If they have a beef about serving the arrest warrant, they should go to the police, or the sheriff, or whoever handles warrants in that town. And how did they get their hands on the arrest warrant anyway?
Well, I don't know about "terrorizing". The article in the OP said the residents were "confused", and there's a pic to back that up of an old man in a wheelchair indeed looking confused. Additionally, there's a quote by a resident:

The unidentified woman replied: 'No, honey, she does not live in this facility. She lives in a nursing home, this is not a nursing home.'

So. I don't know that you'd call someone "honey" that you're terrified of.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:31 PM

1,690 posts, read 607,321 times
Quote:
I think they want the arrest warrant, that they discovered in storage at the courthouse, executed and they want her arrested.

In the same way that Jewish groups still go after Nazi war criminals when they find them in nursing homes.
Then go to law enforcement. Mob style justice is not accepted in the US. Lots of people got away with crimes around that time before DNA and surveillance become a thing. Doesn’t mean everyone can go back and start hunting people down. As much as I want justice for the poor victims, mob justice will get the wrong people hurt and possibly killed.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:33 PM

12,958 posts, read 9,467,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Wrong. He did not sexually assault her. You just made that up. Whistling at someone isn’t sexually assaulting them.
It was alleged he whistled at her. Key word alleged. We don’t even know is if that’s true.
Yes, that's what I'd always heard and read as well.

Nowdays whistling would be considered sexual harassment, however.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:33 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Well, I don't know about "terrorizing". The article in the OP said the residents were "confused", and there's a pic to back that up of an old man in a wheelchair indeed looking confused. Additionally, there's a quote by a resident:

The unidentified woman replied: 'No, honey, she does not live in this facility. She lives in a nursing home, this is not a nursing home.'

So. I don't know that you'd call someone "honey" that you're terrified of.
Why bless your heart, I don't think you've been exposed to many Southern women. Or men.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Why bless your heart, I don't think you've been exposed to many Southern women. Or men.
funny you should say that

i stand my ground

an old lady doesn't call someone she's terrified of, "honey"

maybe you've never been exposed to an elderly southern woman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies