Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I support the right to choose
Only for abortion 4 4.40%
Only for vaccines 10 10.99%
For both vaccines and abortion 15 16.48%
For all things, including drugs and prostitution. 62 68.13%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 11:16 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleprompter View Post
The initial post is illogical, as prolifers see the fetus as its own body.
That is a part of the discussion concerning bodily autonomy. It makes the abortion, pro choice, bodily autonomy issue probably the most complicated of all. It’s definitely worth discussing.

Oddly, the pro abortion rights people are the ones who use this lingo the most and are the least able to admit that there are two bodies involved in abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 11:22 AM

4,547 posts, read 2,271,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
So you want idiots carrying a fetus to term and giving birth.

Got it.

So abortion is to target idiots? We need to ramp it up then.

Old 07-09-2022, 11:24 AM

2,953 posts, read 993,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s hardly the first vaccine that employers have mandated throughout history though. When I went to OT school, I had to have measles mumps rubella administered again even though I had it when I was a kid. If I didn’t get it, I would not have been admitted. The military has also required vaccinations long before Covid. But I don’t remember all these people being up in arms about it, because those other vaccines have not been so politicized.
Stop simplifying. This vaccine is not like the vaccines that employers have mandated "throughout history" ... geez what does that even mean ... 50 yrs? mRNA vaccines were developed in the 60s but have never been taken to market until 2020 to fight Covid. We are performing what amounts to an extended field trial. Because of this, the vaccine is shall we say controversial. I didn't say dangerous I just said controversial and that perspective is justified. You're brushing off a legitimate hesitancy about this vaccine by re-framing that reluctance as politics ... That line of argument is familiar and it's nothing more than code from the left that 'righties' are backward scientifically impaired troglodytes. You couldn't be more wrong. Skepticism and questioning IS a fundamental ethic of science. Herd following is exactly the opposite. Stop trying to act like this is an illogical rejection of precedent.

Old 07-09-2022, 11:24 AM

2,004 posts, read 865,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Where did I say I support them? All I said is they existed before Covid and no one cared.
You did not. This person labels people falsely with this type of narrative to control a conversation.

Old 07-09-2022, 11:29 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Frankly I see it's between them and God in the end. But as long as they stay out of my wallet, I'll stay out of their uterus. Pay for their abortions out of their own pockets and not of taxes.

Old 07-09-2022, 11:31 AM

4,661 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
No you are not. You are engaging in Orwellian double talk. Only in the twisted minds of liberals can we have such self serving selectivity, which naturally leads to such insistence that up really does mean down.

Forced choice, be it in the form of a gun to your head, or lessor forms of coercion such as the threat of losing one’s ability to support and feed themselves and their families could never be mistaken as “freedom of choice”.

The deeper philosophical issue at hand here is the inappropriate granting of human rights to that which is not even a living thing, let alone a human being. A business, large or small is a human “construct”, not a human being possessing human rights.

Therefore, it is a fraud at face value to even attempt to grant such a construct “rights”, let alone attempt to claim them equal to that of a human being.
I don't think he's a liberal, but you are bang-on otherwise. "What about the rights of the police department to know that we're here on these rocks by the lake smoking dope? Why is everyone calling me a narc?!?"

His utterances really don't sound much different from "I support civil rights; I support the right for black people to be asked civilly to please go to the back of the bus." The major difference being that he can't turn a phrase like I can. LOL

Old 07-09-2022, 11:33 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I've already addressed protected classes, if you bother to read the whole thread.

Whether or not there "should be" protected classes is a discussion for another thread.
That’s not an answer, that’s a deflection. The question is a closed ended question, which requires a simple yes or no answer, unlike open ended questions that allow extended dialog, such as explanations, reasons, theories and excuses.

So, let me ask you again … would you defend the right of a business run by white supremacists to deny jobs or services to black people because they deemed it to be contrary to their business interests? It’s a simple yes or no question.

Don’t be a coward. If your opinions are based on firm principles as you attempt to suggest, then answer the question with conviction.

Your opinion declares it wrong to force a business to accept something that it believes is not in the best interests of the business. That’s your claim.

So, is that fundamentally true, or is it conditionally true sometimes, but not always?

Old 07-09-2022, 11:33 AM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Abortion needs defining, to also include whether it is on demand up until birth, and to have exceptions like rape, incest, life of the mother.

While I am ambivalent in general, there is little doubt the pro-abortion side is on the wrong side of history.
Technology has proven beyond the shadow of a doubt a pregnancy results in a human being. Additionally, viability outside of the womb now includes children that are very premature.

A concept I have never been able to wrap my head around is almost anyone I know who is a member of, or supporter of PETA, is also pro-abortion. They think every animals life is precious to the point many want all medical experimentations stopped, even people to stop eating meat.
Yet they do not apply the same standards to themselves as far as human babies are concerned, and are even activists for the right of all women to abort their babies.

Old 07-09-2022, 11:38 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
I don't care what you do with your body as long as I don't have to pay for it.
Ya got the money? ........... Have as many babies as you want, take all the drugs you want; I don't care.
But if you're not going to pay for it, then it becomes my business.

Old 07-09-2022, 11:51 AM

4,547 posts, read 2,271,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
A concept I have never been able to wrap my head around is almost anyone I know who is a member of, or supporter of PETA, is also pro-abortion. They think every animals life is precious to the point many want all medical experimentations stopped, even people to stop eating meat.
Yet they do not apply the same standards to themselves as far as human babies are concerned, and are even activists for the right of all women to abort their babies.

I know someone like this! I mean, I am a vegan but I am also anti-abortion and it has nothing to do with religion. I find abortion after a certain point in the pregnancy to be cruel and inhumane just like factory farming. My friend believes that women should always be able to choose to abort but is horrified when a pregnant dairy cow goes to slaughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies