Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 04:29 PM

6,457 posts, read 6,632,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
"Reproductive health" is NOT a euphemism for abortion. Abortion is one aspect of reproductive health. Reproductive health also includes PAP smears, tubal ligation, hysterectomy, oophorectomy and other procedures related to the vagina, ovaries, uterus and fallopian tubes. Abortion is one of many types of reproductive health procedures.
When the term "reproductive health" is used in the media lately, it is not referring to PAP smears, hysterectomies, etc., as those procedures are not being banned. The term has escalated since the recent Dobbs decision, and it is indeed referring only to abortion in the news stories about the changing laws across the country. Yes, reproductive health actually does mean all those procedures on the list you typed, but that is not what's in the news right now. The current context is what we are discussing here.

I am prochoice, but I feel the term "reproductive health" is absolutely being used as a euphemism. It's as if the media thinks people are too stupid to know what an abortion actually is and does. An abortion is quite the opposite of "reproduction," so I find it an illogical, intentionally misleading term.

Although getting states to keep abortion legal in the first trimester is a lot more important than arguing about semantics, it makes no sense to say "keep reproductive health legal."

Old 07-09-2022, 04:32 PM

26,661 posts, read 13,656,836 times
When I was a young women I was extremely pro abortion rights. As I got older my views shifted. I still support elective abortion up to 12 week and support abortion beyond that for medical issues and exceptions for rape victims, especially minor.

The current abortion rights movement seems really extreme to me and quite often hypocritical. I wonder if they realize that they are alienating people like me who fall in the middle with some of the extremism.

Old 07-09-2022, 04:40 PM

37,005 posts, read 41,043,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes. 95% of unintended pregnancies are the result of women VOLUNTARILY participating in unprotected sex, by their own admission (Guttmacher). That's a choice. They've already made their choice to accept pregnancy as an outcome of their own actions.
Not all unintended pregnancies are unwanted.

Of women seeking abortion, about half were using contraception in the cycle in which they conceived.

The 95% figure you repeat over and over and over includes contraceptive failures and pregnancies that are mistimed. They are not all due to "VOLUNTARILY participating in unprotected sex".

Old 07-09-2022, 04:42 PM

17,103 posts, read 14,414,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
When I was a young women I was extremely pro abortion rights. As I got older my views shifted. I still support elective abortion up to 12 week and support abortion beyond that for medical issues and exceptions for rape victims, especially minor.

The current abortion rights movement seems really extreme to me and quite often hypocritical. I wonder if they realize that they are alienating people like me who fall in the middle with some of the extremism.
This pretty much describes me.

They lost me when they started bragging about having abortions and showing up to protests with huge pregnant bellies with things like “not a human” written on them.

Old 07-09-2022, 04:46 PM

30,198 posts, read 23,608,007 times
When people were championing "vaccine" mandates to keep their jobs, where were all these "reproductive health" types when women expecting were told to take the jab or lose their job?

Old 07-09-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
When people were championing "vaccine" mandates to keep their jobs, where were all these "reproductive health" types when women expecting were told to take the jab or lose their job?
It seems like the pro choice for abortion crowd tends to be a pro mandate for vaccines crowd.

Old 07-09-2022, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Not all unintended pregnancies are unwanted.

Of women seeking abortion, about half were using contraception in the cycle in which they conceived.

The 95% figure you repeat over and over and over includes contraceptive failures and pregnancies that are mistimed. They are not all due to "VOLUNTARILY participating in unprotected sex".
We know the failure rates for BC with imperfect use. Condoms and BC pills are still much more effective, even when used incorrectly than 50% so that rate definitely encompasses people who were not using BC.

Old 07-09-2022, 04:56 PM

7,160 posts, read 5,014,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You're just assuming that. Many are opposed to abortion based on the Non-Agression Principle, myself included.

The Non-Aggression Principle, or NAP, is the belief that people should be free to act as they choose with the exception that they may not initiate force, or the threat of force, against another or their property. Like the Golden Rule and the Principle of Charity, the NAP can serve as a guiding light to help each of us navigate an ethical life.

Using abortion to kill is most definitely force used against another.
Both of you who feel that way have a point, but it's still based on the definiton of "a human life." Until that developing embryo can survive on its own, you are on shaky ground....

Meanwhile, the vast majority of Anti-Choice advocates base their opinion on religious beliefs....I get the impression that they somehow conflate "legal abortion" with a requirement to have an abortion. They can still exercise their religious beliefs personally without imposing them on everyone else. Why can't they understand that?

While the embryo is hardly recognizable as human (it looks more like a fish) up to ~14 weeks, I gotta admit, elective abortions after the first trimester do insult the senses. While I feel there is no defintive way to define a human life prior to birth, abortions after the first trimester are questionable-- reminds me of the SC Judge who once said "I may not be able to define obscenity, but I know it when I see it."...Probably the wisest path is to legally allow elective abortions before ~16 weeks and after that, only to protect the life of the mother, with adequate efforts to deliver a live fetus

Old 07-09-2022, 05:12 PM

17,728 posts, read 15,430,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Everyone woman who gets pregnant is putting her life and health at risk. Every single one. And keep in mind that maternal death in America is one of the highest in the developed world.

How is something to do with the reproductive system *not* reproductive health?
This thread is pointless and highlights how uneducated and triggered some are.

The NIH defines reproductive health:

"Reproductive health refers to the condition of male and female reproductive systems during all life stages. These systems are made of organs and hormone-producing glands, and include the pituitary gland in the brain, ovaries in females and testicles in males."

Anything that affects, impacts, or involves any of these systems in the human body is covered under that term.

Old 07-09-2022, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
This thread is pointless and highlights how uneducated and triggered some are.

The NIH defines reproductive health:

"Reproductive health refers to the condition of male and female reproductive systems during all life stages. These systems are made of organs and hormone-producing glands, and include the pituitary gland in the brain, ovaries in females and testicles in males."

Anything that affects, impacts, or involves any of these systems in the human body is covered under that term.
Disagreeing with you does not make us uneducated or triggered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies