Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 09:14 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Two of the attackers have turned themselves in. One was 14 the other 10.
Here's a link to the story.

Apparently LE advised parents to turn their kids in, if they were involved in this, and that's likely what's happened.

10 and 14 year old kids wouldn't be able to turn themselves in, without transportation.

https://www.wgal.com/article/philade...ones/40573507#
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 09:39 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Two of the attackers have turned themselves in. One was 14 the other 10.
Not surprised. Criminality can begin very young.

Without some rehabilitation of intense intervention, these kids are in trouble.

The left will say they should’ve been aborted, but not every bad parent is going to abort their fetus.

Old 07-11-2022, 09:55 PM

9,880 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Apparently LE advised parents to turn their kids in, if they were involved in this, and that's likely what's happened.

10 and 14 year old kids wouldn't be able to turn themselves in, without transportation.

Now we get to see who will sing the loudest. They're probably blaming the other 5 as we speak.

Old 07-12-2022, 05:48 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times
Years ago it was said that young inner city people needed jobs to occupy them. But now people of all ages, races, geography don’t want to work. And it was thought that recreation centers could help entertain youth and prevent crime.

But how to occupy such people so they don’t commit such heinous crimes? A basketball court is nice and provides a physical outlet, but does it provide the adrenaline rush and go feeling of power they had when attacking that poor man?

We do have some posters here who feel that social workers are the answer to de escalate situations…I guess on every street corner, we need to have a social worker or counselor. Now if we can only get the youth to agree not to attack the social workers….

Old 07-12-2022, 05:59 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
This has been going on in Philadelphia and in cities across America for years. The cycle is repeating itself for generations. To be honest, I'm pessimistic about many good solutions. Bad parenting is just the tip of the iceberg. There is also a subculture of violence to grapple with. It has existed for generations. It would take radical change, in every segment of American society, for this to stop.

This is what I know. We're dealing with individuals who have no guilt, no shame, and very little fear. In most societies, you don't do things like beat up people for the fun of it, especially the elderly. What we're seeing is a subculture of nihilism, hatred, and basically being predatory. Individuals who get a thrill from hurting those weaker than them. Individuals who are so removed from polite society (and remain so) that they don't care.

Cracking down on those thugs isn't a hard thing to do. We have prisons. We have a justice system that we can use to punish said thugs. It's not hard to get these thugs off of the streets. The problem is that more thugs are coming up. They are being born to broken homes every day. The father is not present. The mother isn't equipped to be a mother, and in many cases pawns the child off to grandma. In some cases the mother doesn't know who the father is thanks to promiscuous behavior. The gangs have been there for generations and they show no signs of stopping. Some of those street gangs have been in existence since the 1950s (Vice Lords, Gangster Disciples). Young boys learn from the gangs because the gangs become more like family than the real family.

Old 07-12-2022, 11:33 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Sounds like the parents were like "want to be criminals, I'll let the system deal with you". I wonder if said parents did that out of teaching said kids tough love, or if those parents want to be rid of said kids.

Old 07-12-2022, 11:40 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,127,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I don't see a single political point to make out of this.”

Clear as day to me …. They have to get those Orange Traffic Cones banned ASAP.
Traffic Cones are killing people!
Simply because the beating/killing was caught on video. Had it not been, think of all the possibilities on who the perpetrators would have been. Including but not limited to, a few guys running away from the crime scene wearing MAGA hats. Opps, it was caught on video.

Old 07-12-2022, 11:41 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,127,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
Each and every one these subhuman animals should face public pillory followed by public immolation.

May this man rest in peace and his family find a way out of that blue pit of vipers.
I agree.

Old 07-12-2022, 12:20 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It also sells when you have rebellious young people who like a be edgy. I've met a few professional White women who listened to violent rap music. Good parenting and a good life pretty much meant they weren't going to carry that stuff out. However, listening to such music was considered edgy and fun for them.

I have my father to thank for my own nuanced view of rap music. When I was 14, I watched a Jay-Z video. My father saw me watching and then explained to me what a pimp was. He also explained other things about life in the ghetto. Basically, it was his way of saying "I don't recommend listening to alot of that stuff".

Racist individuals will make any excuse to complain about Black people, even petty stuff. Said persons can't just flat out say they don't like Blacks or other groups of people. They have to find ways to at least appear justified. We need to have a conversation about personal responsibility and better parenting. However, the racist individuals need to be excluded. I also think about this. There are Black people who talk about things like fatherless homes, Black on Black murder, and thug culture.

Former President Obama said that more Black men need to step up and be fathers. Why his statement didn't garner more attention, I don't know.
https://abcnews.go.com/WN/Vote2008/s...5172580&page=1

Obama also said of Black men "no time for more excuses".
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ement/2324241/

He said this at a graduation ceremony for Morehouse University.

Why Bill Cosby got slammed, and not Barack Obama, that I do wonder. One thing I do know is that many people didn't like how public Bill Cosby was with it.
I know Obama has said some things but those are from 9+ years ago. I don't mean to put it on him but I just view his as one guy that is pretty much a living legend in the black community.

To put it another way, I think that if you held a huge party and Jay Z, Michael Jordan, Oprah, Lebron, Neil Degrasse Tyson, Kevin Hart, Chappelle and a bunch of other famous, rich accomplished black people, legends and then dropped in Pres. Obama we ALL know who the GOAT is in that room and it would react accordingly.

Old 07-12-2022, 12:23 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Now we get to see who will sing the loudest. They're probably blaming the other 5 as we speak.
They have it on video and generally the oldest, especially if one is old enough to qualify as adult will take the brunt while the others get juvie treatment.

I mean, you'd have to have a heart of stone to not feel bad for a 10yo drug into something like this by older kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies