Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 09:53 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Read her post. It's pretty explanatory. Ask her directly. I doubt she is a Democrat.
As others have stated, the list is highly incorrect. All of you right wingers took it as gospel .

Old 07-12-2022, 10:00 PM

13,461 posts, read 4,295,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
so is adding justices.

and? Do it. If you think Obama didn't have the political capital and votes to push Garland, you will have way less passing this. 2/3 of Americans are against it and Democrats are about to lose Congress for sure and good odds at the Senate.

Old 07-12-2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:
As others have stated, the list is highly incorrect. All of you right wingers took it as gospel .

No, it shows the Democrats here were incorrect. Bureaucat stood corrected and admitted it but you keep doubling down.

Old 07-13-2022, 02:10 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
No, it shows the Democrats here were incorrect. Bureaucat stood corrected and admitted it but you keep doubling down.
You are confusing me with another poster as I wasnt one of the people who originally mentioned it. You however did quote the list and believe it was accurate and were proven wrong.

nice try though.

Old 07-13-2022, 03:30 AM

Quote:
You are confusing me with another poster as I wasnt one of the people who originally mentioned it. You however did quote the list and believe it was accurate and were proven wrong.

nice try though.

You mean OLDHAG1 was intentionally inaccurate? a moderator and instead you challenging her directly because she made the post you keep going after me for agreeing with her. You are so brave.

Tell her she was proven wrong and challenge her. She made the post. I disagree with your opinion but it's her you have to challenge not me.

Old 07-13-2022, 05:32 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,951 times
Quote:
In Kansas there are more women voters than men. They will decide this. I really doubt they will ban all abortions. My bet is 15 weeks and it should be law not constitutional right .(Germany is 12 weeks.)

I hope the majority in the state decides this and not the courts.

Based on the composition of the KS state legislature, if the amendment passes, KS is likely to follow Missouri's blueprint with the new laws (case-by-case exceptions for women who could die from the pregnancy - no exceptions for rape and incest). Free state, indeed.

This is the will of the high court, not the American people, and in some states it's practically like living under the Taliban. Large businesses and highly educated people will vote with a ballot, and vote with their feet, if necessary.

Old 07-13-2022, 07:24 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Four did end up being renominated and place: Taney, Matthews, Butler, and Harlan. William Hornblower’s nomination originally lapsed but he was later rejected by the Senate in a vote of 24–30. So, yes, five did end up later being voted on. But that means Garland is still one of ten - not the only one in American history, as claimed.
  • Crittenden: Senate voted to table his nomination - the nomination lapsed. John McLean was nominated by the next president, Jackson, and seated.
  • Reuben H. Walworth: Senate voted to table the nomination. The nomination was withdrawn from the Senate.
  • Edward King was nominated on June 5, 1844. A resolution to table the nomination passed by a vote of 29–18 on June 15, 1844. No other action was taken and the nomination lapsed.
    • Walworth and King were both re-nominated by Tyler but both nominations were again tabled on January 21, 1845. Both nominations were withdrawn.
  • John M. Read: nominated and there was a motion to consider the nomination in the Senate but the motion was unsuccessful and no other action was taken - nomination lapsed.
  • Edward A. Bradford: Filmore was the last Whig president and the Senate, controlled by the Democratic Party, did not take action on any of his nominees. Like the other two the nomination lapsed.
  • George Edmund Badger: Filmore was the last Whig president and the Senate, controlled by the Democratic Party, did not take action on any of his nominees. Like the other two the nomination lapsed.
  • William C. Micou: Filmore was the last Whig president and the Senate, controlled by the Democratic Party, did not take action on any of his nominees. Like the other two the nomination lapsed.
  • Jeremiah S. Black: nominated by Buchanan in February 1861. There was a motion to bring the nomination up for discussion but was defeated 25–26 on February 21, 1861 so his nomination lapsed. Abraham Lincoln, filled the seat with Samuel Freeman Miller in 1862.
  • Henry Stanbery: nominated by Johnson but due to the reduction of seats in accordance with the Judical Circuits Act of 1866 the end result was the nomination was nullified and never voted on.
Again, these are either ones nominated at the extreme end of a term (just a few weeks left) or cases in which the Senate at least took some action on the nominee.

Old 07-13-2022, 07:55 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
It’s deliciously ironic that posters here are normalizing a political action that had previously not been used since before the Civil War, when we were a very different country.

Unfortunately, too many here find that version of America preferable to the one we have.

Old 07-13-2022, 08:44 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Again, these are either ones nominated at the extreme end of a term (just a few weeks left) or cases in which the Senate at least took some action on the nominee.
Filmore’s three nominations had nothing done.

Old 07-13-2022, 08:58 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Filmore’s three nominations had nothing done.
The three that had no action taken were all nominated during the end of his term, two within the last two months of his and the Congressional term and the last one with about two weeks left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies