Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 10:08 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
I can't stand Jordan Peterson, but wow, they suspended him over this? Unbelievable.
Yeah and you can bet that platform is not suspending people for writing unpleasant stuff about Peterson.

It's some really ugly optics.

She's 25, she can do whatever she wants for all I care. I hope whatever she does makes her happy and she has a good life. It's when they're 13-14 that I get extremely uneasy about the ethics.

Peterson does make a number of interesting points on various topics. We may or may not agree with them but he at least explains his rationale and he's always struck me as someone that respects open discourse.

Where he tends to lose his patience is (rightfully) when people try to restrict the opinions of others via "force" which includes canceling people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 10:14 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah and you can bet that platform is not suspending people for writing unpleasant stuff about Peterson.

It's some really ugly optics.

She's 25, she can do whatever she wants for all I care. I hope whatever she does makes her happy and she has a good life. It's when they're 13-14 that I get extremely uneasy about the ethics.

Peterson does make a number of interesting points on various topics. We may or may not agree with them but he at least explains his rationale and he's always struck me as someone that respects open discourse.

Where he tends to lose his patience is (rightfully) when people try to restrict the opinions of others via "force" which includes canceling people.
Lib here...I always feel I need to qualify that, LOL...I do find it really off to be suspended just for using the wrong pronoun. If it were actual hate speech I could see it. Platforms generally have to follow anti-hate speech laws. But I don't think using the wrong pronoun is in that category unless it comes with some actual hate speech.

They do obviously seem to feel it is okay to mouth off against certain celebrities/personalities and that's probably helping keep division alive and unwell...rules are rules so they should apply to everyone...keep it fair...JMO.

Old 07-10-2022, 02:24 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Is it "Shem" or is it "Shim"? Not to be that guy but if you're going to punch down on someone it looks kinda silly to use the wrong slur.
Actually I've seen it both ways, but a Shim (a shim shingle) is used in construction for around windows and doors to square them up. So shims are useful and SHEMS are not, so I would guess it's up to your own thoughts on it.

Old 07-10-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Thanks. I have qualms with people who claim to want things natural, or that Gods never do anything wrong but then turn around and mutilate their own bodies for some effed up reason.

I also find it eyerolling that Page is having her breasts removed by choice when there is a massive amount of women that have no choice but to remove their breasts because of cancer.
Well, I do know of a couple of wonderful young ladies that had their breast removed, both were in their late twenties, due to the fact the breast cancer ran in their families.
But to do it just to mutilate your body into what you're not is mental.

Old 07-10-2022, 02:37 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Lib here...I always feel I need to qualify that, LOL...I do find it really off to be suspended just for using the wrong pronoun. If it were actual hate speech I could see it. Platforms generally have to follow anti-hate speech laws. But I don't think using the wrong pronoun is in that category unless it comes with some actual hate speech.

They do obviously seem to feel it is okay to mouth off against certain celebrities/personalities and that's probably helping keep division alive and unwell...rules are rules so they should apply to everyone...keep it fair...JMO.
This tells us everything we need to know about Twitter.

If you scroll down, you'll even see them touting....Ivermectin and they were calling the Covid vaccine a plot to wipe out blacks.

https://twitter.com/LouisFarrakhan?r...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Yep, a designated hate group and vaccine denier....lol.

Old 07-10-2022, 02:41 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,002,405 times
Addiction or not, he had a lot of insightful perspectives and ideas (if a bit academic and lofty). But recently he's been devolving into a run-of-the-mill counterpart Twitter troll of sorts. It's become petty, and strikes me as drama/not minding your own business vs useful social commentary.

One more point: me wanting him to shut his mouth is not censorship, just an opinion from yours truly. He can carry on if he wants, but he's looking a LOT like the personal weakness he taught about.

Old 07-10-2022, 03:06 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
At least the person involved was 25 when they did this and not 14 etc.

IDC what they want to do to themselves at that age. Not my business and they're old enough.

I think that this will end in a decade with a ton of regret and piles of lawsuits from some of the participants.
Well, I care that people are taking these drastic steps because there are activist doctors and mental health professionals who are committing malpractice. I would love it if people felt comfortable enough with just socially presenting as the opposite sex, but the hormones and surgeries should be banned. Listen to the many accounts of de-transitioners out there. It’s brutal, especially for male to female where they get their penises amputated and still have the stump and phantom limb thoughts, waking up feeling their penis and it’s gone. In its place, a neo vagina that often doesn’t work and they have no sexual feelings.

Old 07-10-2022, 03:41 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Actually I've seen it both ways, but a Shim (a shim shingle) is used in construction for around windows and doors to square them up. So shims are useful and SHEMS are not, so I would guess it's up to your own thoughts on it.
I think we're modeling bullying behavior for our kids.

Old 07-10-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I think we're modeling bullying behavior for our kids.
My child is an adult now and she made up her mind a long time ago about there only being TWO sexes. Besides she's the mother of my beautiful grand son and wife of my son-in-law. God Bless them.

Old 07-10-2022, 04:59 PM

9,454 posts, read 5,216,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyphonFilterClassic View Post
Publicity stunt. He can just delete the tweet. But he needs this so I can make a grand entrance into the daily wire.
It's not a publicity stunt. He has been speaking out on this issue for some time now. And he very likely does not need this to jump into the Daily Wire. He has millions of followers on YouTube / podcasts, so I'm sure they'll follow him there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies