Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 07:17 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I find this really startling.

Or is it widely known?

These Gun Reforms Could Save 15,000 Lives. We Can Achieve Them.
We know that gun safety is not a hopeless task, because just about every other country manages to do better. The Onion satirical website regularly responds to mass shootings with a headline: “‘No Way to Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens.” It has a point.
The result of our paralysis is that just since 1975, more Americans have died from guns — including suicides, murders and accidents — than in all the wars in United States history, going back to the American Revolution.
https://dnyuz.com/2022/05/25/these-g...-achieve-them/
Let's see....................................WHO COMMITS THE MAJORITY OF THOSE GUN RELATED DEATHS?

Perhaps we should focus on the criminals, not the weapons. One must understand that criminals will still commit crimes and have access to all the weapons they want. If there were no guns on the planet, criminals would use swords or clubs to kill people.

Old 07-10-2022, 08:05 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
So let's see.

1) They want to raise the age to 21 to buy a firearm.

2) They want to limit wife beaters, drunks and druggies from being able to buy guns.

3) They want background checks that are more thorough for purchasing a gun. Background checks that are as rigorous as pet adoptions.

The slippery slope begins.

We need to push back.

Guns should be provided at baby showers so the infant will have one in their crib. They are inanimate objects that could easily take the place of a pacifier.

Gun stores and Gun shows should be able to sell booze, drugs along with other weapons to make more convenient shopping for those who are out to purchase a gun.

Gun sales should be completely anonymous. You should be able to wear a ski mask into the gun store if you want. You should be able to write out your order if you don't want the gun store employee to hear your voice. In fact, it might be better if gun store employees were hearing and visually impaired. They shouldn't be able to identify or recognize the gun buyer.

That would show those commie lib gun grabbers.
It's obvious that you don't know anyone from the real shooting community so I'll cut you some slack. Not much but a little. There is nobody that takes firearms safety more seriously than serious shooters. Like millions of other shooter I raised children. A child anyway. And he was familiarized with firearms at a young age. He started competing at 10 started getting serious at 12 and got noticed by the SW youth squad at 15.
He's 25 now and has a child of his own. He's passed a rifle down to he that belonged to my great grandfather. She's 5 and loves to go shooting. Just like my son she will be a safe responsible shooter way before she's 21.

The military can accept someone at 17 put a rifle in their hands and send them to war. 18 is plenty old enough to buy a firearm BUT parents have to teach them young. Not enough of that going on even when one or both parents have guns. Instead of teaching them right they just make their guns a big mystery and kids can't stand mysteries. So they find the parents gun and bad things happen. Not because of the gu but because the parents didn't teach them.

No real shooting enthusiast condones drunks and druggies having guns. We're way down on criminal misuse of guns. None of the sarcasm that I suppose you think shows scintillating wit comes anywhere close to reality. W shooter are hardly advocating for irresponsible and/or criminal misuse of guns. I suggest you find out when there's a shooting competition in you area and go have a look for yourself what the shooting community truly is like.

That is all I have to say...

Old 07-11-2022, 04:08 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Years ago, a man I knew who was mentally deficient walked up to me to brag he had bought a gun. I offered him twice what he gave for it and bought it. Did I want it? No. It was junk. But I knew he had no business with one. I still have it locked in my gun cabinet, with my good handguns. Most responsible shooters would have done the same.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:32 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Years ago, a man I knew who was mentally deficient walked up to me to brag he had bought a gun. I offered him twice what he gave for it and bought it. Did I want it? No. It was junk. But I knew he had no business with one. I still have it locked in my gun cabinet, with my good handguns. Most responsible shooters would have done the same.
Mentally deficient? Probably a democrat and would not have been able to load it anyway.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:36 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Three day old tuna smells less fishy than this.

Old 07-11-2022, 09:49 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Three day old tuna smells less fishy than this.
Well it happened. It is an old R & S (Saturday night special)

Old 07-11-2022, 11:17 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Not sure what people committing crime has to do with my rights. I'm not committing the crimes. Catch them and put them in jail. That's how you stop the crime. Creating rules that only serve to make it more difficult for me to exercise my rights doesn't make you any safer. I'm not the problem.
Not only this but I am pretty sure that any person doing a "mass shooting" has broken many, many laws already on the books. So yea, we need more laws - THAT'S THE TICKET!!

Old 07-11-2022, 11:25 AM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
And none of that would do any good. It would only keep the law abiding from protecting themselves.
How?

Old 07-11-2022, 11:29 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,965,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I find this really startling.

Or is it widely known?

These Gun Reforms Could Save 15,000 Lives. We Can Achieve Them.
We know that gun safety is not a hopeless task, because just about every other country manages to do better. The Onion satirical website regularly responds to mass shootings with a headline: “‘No Way to Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens.” It has a point.
The result of our paralysis is that just since 1975, more Americans have died from guns — including suicides, murders and accidents — than in all the wars in United States history, going back to the American Revolution.
https://dnyuz.com/2022/05/25/these-g...-achieve-them/
Now do swimming pools, cars, and alcohol.

Old 07-11-2022, 11:38 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Interesting thought, I guess.
Other countries have lost far, far more people in wars than by home-based gun deaths. Russia, for instance. They lost - what - 25 million just in WW2. Germany didn't lose that many, but it was a bunch. Japan, too, where it is almost illegal to own a gun.
For countries like Afghanistan where both wars and gun violence visit regularly, would be hard to judge.

America has never been invaded. Well, once, in 1812, but it hardly amounted to anything. So relatively speaking our death toll in wars is just not that huge. Civil War was costly, but that was us doing the whole thing.

Overall, it seems interesting but not as interesting as Trea Turner's slide into home plate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clvdXSnQMm0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies