Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2022, 01:11 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,307,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I don’t think you understand the difference between “qualifying for special education” and “having symptoms of dyslexia.”

From your own link:

many more people— perhaps as many as 15–20% of the population as a whole—have some of the symptoms of dyslexia…

The quote you provided explains that 6 to 7% of the 13 to 14% of students who qualify for special education do so because of a learning disability, not that 6 to 7% of students overall have a language based learning disability.

Most dyslexics or other LD students NEVER actually participate in special education. They can get through school with either an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) which might have provisions such as extended rest time or shortened assignments. A 504 is similar but it is legally binding based on section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities Act and only students who have a documented disability can get one.

Following that is special education. Again, you have to qualify for it…there are tests you have to take and most LD students never use it. My son didn’t have any special education classes until 11th grade, when he was placed in special Ed for Geometry. At that point, the school can change the curriculum from state standards. That was the only special Ed class he ever took, and the strange part was that it was too slow for him.

BTW, people with dyslexia don’t necessarily have *all* of the symptoms of dyslexia. There are various levels of it and people who have it have different strengths and weaknesses.
I have a decent understanding, though I surely appreciate the subject is closer to you and your struggles to help your child. But this is the sentence:

Quote:
Nevertheless, many more people— perhaps as many as 15–20% of the population as a whole—have some of the symptoms of dyslexia, including slow or inaccurate reading, poor spelling, poor writing, or mixing up similar words.
so, after what seem like research-based stats, we get "many more" and "perhaps" and "symptoms like poor spelling and poor writing." There's 100's of adult posters here who butcher to/too/two and lose/loose and they're/there/their and it's just bad spelling (and writing) and not dyslexia.

This is akin to having a fever and automatically being put in the Covid-positive category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 01:11 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Any person that runs against the Uber Left in '24 is going to be visously attacked, slandered, & threatened...& their families and friends too...even kids.

If the Pope ran in 2024 against the Uber Left, they'd say he had a harem of Nuns, & that his White robe is a sure fire sign of the KKK.

That is the behavior that evolves when Christian values are replaced w/ Uber Leftist indoctrination in schools.

Neither should be allowed, but since the Uber left has been running education for a few decades, I say its the Pubs turn for the next 20 yrs..

The Uber Left is evil, & the Independents & moderate Dems want the return of civility, so they'll hand the Right a Red wave in Nov.

Afterwards, I hope the Pubs shutter the Dept of Education for eternity, & let the states run education as they please.
The Tai girl from Bnag Kok Thailand, intensely repeated to the Base Commander at the Davis-Monthan AFB, about my company winning the janitor contract, "Do not contract!" "Do not contract!" "Him not understand!" "Him not understand!" "Him from Montana!" "Him not understand!"

Old 07-11-2022, 01:22 PM

13,949 posts, read 5,620,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I think that his educational programs clearly are slanted toward his political and religious beliefs. That's a problem for me.
Yep, it's a problem when the educational programs slant away from their current leftward slant that you never seemed to have any problems with.

I have an issue with a political slant of any sort being introduced into a public school curriculum as it is forced indoctrination of a legally captive audience. Public education should be limited to the transfer of knowledge of a specific set of agreed upon subjects at agreed upon mastery levels. Period. It should do nothing else whatsoever. Nothing political, cultural, ideological, moral or philosophical. It should be as neutrally informative as possible.

School districts, schools, administrators and teachers should have mastery standards that are strictly adhered to, and school aged children should pass/fail according to those standards. There should be not one single exception to those standards or their enforcement. No diploma or cert should ever be awarded without documented mastery achievement according to that standard.

Done.

Takes care of right, left, LGB..lmnop...expialadocious, race, gender, blah blih bleh. Just transfer knowledge according to a decently classical curriculum of reading/writing the English language, mathematics, science, physical education, civics/government, history, foreign language, and if funded and teachers available - music, art and tradeskills.

No interpretations, opinions, ideologies, or sermons, just facts.

Done.

Leave kids to their friends and parents to get all their cultural education.

Old 07-11-2022, 01:39 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Just based on the general definition of the term, I’d wager that 80%+ of graduating high school students would present with such symptoms, but it’s more likely a result of the poor education system.
I don’t disagree that reading and writing capability in general has plummeted, but that isn’t what dyslexia is. Part of this I suspect is due to failing to teach grammar the same way it was taught in the first half of the 20th century.

Dyslexics have different brain structures than neurotypical people. As just one example, in neurotypical people, the “cones” in the brain which are responsible for memory are in a straight line and and are the same height. In a dyslexic brain, they are scattered and are of different heights.

Here is an article that delves into the brain differences in a fairly straightforward way:

https://www.greatschools.org/gk/arti...with-dyslexia/

Furthermore, dyslexia affects more than just reading, writing and language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
I have a decent understanding, though I surely appreciate the subject is closer to you and your struggles to help your child. But this is the sentence:

so, after what seem like research-based stats, we get "many more" and "perhaps" and "symptoms like poor spelling and poor writing." There's 100's of adult posters here who butcher to/too/two and lose/loose and they're/there/their and it's just bad spelling (and writing) and not dyslexia.

This is akin to having a fever and automatically being put in the Covid-positive category.
It seems very odd to me that you are cherry picking from one site, and again you are misinterpreting the quote.

Of the 13-14% of students who qualify for special Ed, approximately half of those qualify due to a learning disability.

Of those who have a learning disability, 85% of them have a language based learning disability (i.e., dyslexia).

No where does YOUR quote say they only 6-7% of students have a learning disability.

This explains it better:

Quote:
In the United States, NIH research has shown that dyslexia affects 20%, or 1 in every 5 people. Some people may have more mild forms, while others may experience it more severely. Dyslexia is one of the most common cause of reading difficulties in elementary school children because only 1 in 10 dyslexics will qualify for an IEP and special education that will allow them to get the help in reading that they need.

And:

Quote:
The International Dyslexia Foundation states that between 15% and 20% of the population have a language based learning disability, dyslexia being the most common of these. The United States Department of Health and Human Services estimates that 15% of the U.S. population has dyslexia.
Debunking the Myths about Dyslexia | Dyslexia Help at the University of Michigan

Not understanding the difference in homophones is, I agree, a result of a poor education, and not dyslexia.

I’m sorry but your comments overall indicate that you have no understanding of dyslexia, what it actually is and is not, and how it actually affects people.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 07-11-2022 at 02:09 PM..

Old 07-11-2022, 02:05 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
The National Review exposes this particular left wing lie (as only they can do):

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...ics-education/
ouch. stanley kurtz just eviscerated politifact.

Old 07-11-2022, 02:13 PM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
Default Government shouldn't have any say in Education

More and more students are leaving public education for Homeschooling and charter schools.

National Teachers Union are big, big donors to Biden and the Democrats. Biden wants to eliminate federal funding to charter schools because they are not unionized.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...rter-schools-/

https://projectforeverfree.org/more-...re-they-going/

Old 07-11-2022, 03:26 PM

11,775 posts, read 5,787,833 times
Quote:
Well, it is elementary school and public funded. Are you willing for your tax dollars to go toward Islamic education?

I think that his educational programs clearly are slanted toward his political and religious beliefs. That's a problem for me.

Conservative make extreme, knee-jerk reactions to what they presume to be leftist indoctrination.
My tax dollars are going towards Christian schools already when it comes to special resources. Islamic schools are not teaching kids to be terrorists. You may want to google and see they are very much like Christian schools teaching the Koran along with reading, writing and arithmetic.

Old 07-11-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I don’t disagree that reading and writing capability in general has plummeted, but that isn’t what dyslexia is. Part of this I suspect is due to failing to teach grammar the same way it was taught in the first half of the 20th century.

Dyslexics have different brain structures than neurotypical people. As just one example, in neurotypical people, the “cones” in the brain which are responsible for memory are in a straight line and and are the same height. In a dyslexic brain, they are scattered and are of different heights.

Here is an article that delves into the brain differences in a fairly straightforward way:

https://www.greatschools.org/gk/arti...with-dyslexia/

Furthermore, dyslexia affects more than just reading, writing and language.

It seems very odd to me that you are cherry picking from one site, and again you are misinterpreting the quote.

Of the 13-14% of students who qualify for special Ed, approximately half of those qualify due to a learning disability.

Of those who have a learning disability, 85% of them have a language based learning disability (i.e., dyslexia).

No where does YOUR quote say they only 6-7% of students have a learning disability.

This explains it better:

And:

Debunking the Myths about Dyslexia | Dyslexia Help at the University of Michigan

Not understanding the difference in homophones is, I agree, a result of a poor education, and not dyslexia.

I’m sorry but your comments overall indicate that you have no understanding of dyslexia, what it actually is and is not, and how it actually affects people.
I would never imply that I knew more about dyslexia than you, given your intimate personal experience with it.

So let's say 10% of kids have dyslexia; it still fits within my parameter of having a few classes taught by higher-level teaching experts.

Arguing about it for some reason is just a rabbit hole that separates us, when it seems on the LARGER idea, which is the quality of education and "subject matter" needs revising in the US, we agree.

Old 07-11-2022, 03:34 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Yep, it's a problem when the educational programs slant away from their current leftward slant that you never seemed to have any problems with.
My problem is that I never accepted that allegation of any 'leftward slant'. Its conservative myth-making.

Conservatives state that most college professors are 'leftists'. That could be because more leftists attend college and get graduate degrees. That does NOT mean they are indoctrinating anyone.

Old 07-11-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
My problem is that I never accepted that allegation of any 'leftward slant'. Its conservative myth-making.

Conservatives state that most college professors are 'leftists'. That could be because more leftists attend college and get graduate degrees. That does NOT mean they are indoctrinating anyone.
I've got one in college, and one in HS. Neither are "liberal" or leftist, and they'd happily tell you about the leftward slant, where applicable.

Their math and science classes? No. The "liberal arts classes"? Yes, except for one very good teacher in US Government (who one of the little darling rightists outed as a Democrat by looking up his voter registration) who taught them to consider both sides of issues, as every teacher should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies