Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 03:19 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My husband and I both went to Catholic Elementary schools in NYC. In order to get into Catholic HS there was a City Wide test; very similar to an SAT. Take the test, and then apply to HS's. You were accepted based on your Elementary grades, and how you scored on that test. Wait for your acceptance or rejection letters in the mail.

We were never told our test results, but husband was a C+ student. He was rejected by all the HS's he applied to. I was a B+ student, and made all 4 of the schools I applied to. Husband had to go the Public HS.

BTW, students did flunk out of Catholic HS's. Keep up your grades, or the Public School is down the street we heard. Yeah, they pick and choose before, and after admission.

All these parochial schools are EQUAL? Maybe not.
You should watch the documentary Waiting for Superman. It takes place in NYC and they do lotteries for getting into charter schools so the kids can get out of the crap public school system. That’s not too dissimilar to what you’re relating. Difference is that getting into a competitive high school should actually be competitive. I’m sure it’s like that for secular schools, too. And you’re sitting there complaining that one must keep up their grades in order to stay enrolled? Again, I’m just mind blown at the entitlement of the left. “I want to make bad grades and continue making bad grades but get into a great school. Other people who are better students should be rejected so I can attend.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 04:48 AM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Then explain why religious order schools have been found to deliver the best education to disadvantaged children. They're better at it than public schools.
They can pick and choose which disadvantaged children they accept, and kick out disruptive ones, or ones that are too difficult. It's that simple.

Old 07-18-2022, 05:58 AM

1,600 posts, read 864,677 times
I get it man, institutions such as Hillsdale allow a young person to get a college education without being indoctrinated into your woke lefty religion, and that upsets you.

What should upset you more is that college enrollment continues to fall. Parents are finally waking up to the fact that you can earn a good living without a degree, you just have to be smart and have a good work ethic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/26/u...mentsContainer

Old 07-18-2022, 06:00 AM

88,969 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
They can pick and choose which disadvantaged children they accept, and kick out disruptive ones, or ones that are too difficult. It's that simple.
I'm laughing at that because I have a distant family member who's son was one of those disruptive, difficult kids. They never kicked him out. Instead, they worked very closely with the family and a school counselor to handle the kid's issues, and let me tell you... it took YEARS to get it under control. lol. It eventually turned out to be a huge success, all around!

Old 07-18-2022, 06:35 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
So DeSantis is ok with indoctrination as long as it is conservative and Christian, it seems.
The United States needs to return to conservative, Victorian values. We need to bring rationality back to this country.

I disagree with most liberal social values. I believe they are false and don’t work.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:28 AM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm laughing at that because I have a distant family member who's son was one of those disruptive, difficult kids. They never kicked him out. Instead, they worked very closely with the family and a school counselor to handle the kid's issues, and let me tell you... it took YEARS to get it under control. lol. It eventually turned out to be a huge success, all around!
I am seriously glad to hear that. I hope that's more common than I expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies