Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 06:56 AM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
My first thought was population growth and the feds throwing road blocks in the way of what needs to be done, building power plants and upgrading wire. It’s not a complicated business but the feds make it complicated.

I could see Biden doing some sort of EO blocking the building of new fossil fuel based based power plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 06:58 AM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Close the border to reduce the load on the grid. Remove all non-citizens.
Why would you close the border? We trade billions in produce and other merchandise with Mexico. We already have shortages and supply chain issues. You are doing that because Texas might have some rolling blackouts today?

And there are million of legal permanent residents (AKA green card holders) why would they have to leave?

Old 07-11-2022, 06:59 AM

6,797 posts, read 9,347,476 times
Sounds like one of the concerns is extreme heat and the potential lack of wind. I’m not sure why a Democrat would be upset with this, given the fact that Democrats want our stable energy sources to be replaced by wind and solar. Just a minor inconvenience in the quest to save the planet, right?

Old 07-11-2022, 07:03 AM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Why would you close the border? We trade billions in produce and other merchandise with Mexico. We already have shortages and supply chain issues. You are doing that because Texas might have some rolling blackouts today?
Let me rephrase... close the border from illegal access.

Even though in the past - I have the said if I was president I would do a temporary hard close of the border with extremely limited and controlled access - just to cut off the flow of everything, assess the situation, and slowly reopen with more effective policies in effect. If you have a plumbing leak, you have to shut off the supply to make repairs.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:06 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Population migration is causing the strain. People are leaving the northern cities and flocking south.

But OP seems to think it's all due to the political party of Texas. I guess OP thinks if the state went Dem then the power grid would magically fix itself.
The Winter 2021 power outages in Texas were blamed primarily on lack of adequate winterization of the electrical distribution system in the State, and the failure of State leadership to mandate that providers implement the recommendations to improve winterization of the system.

Here it is Summer 2022, and Texans have been asked to conserve energy, to reduce strain of the grid. There have been no actual brownouts or blackouts, AFAIK. With daytime temperatures soaring above 100 in many parts of the State, I don't think the lack of winterization is the problem, in this case.

Texas has had an independent grid for decades, since the 1940s, if I'm not mistaken. ERCOT has been the overseer since 1970. It's something the GOP inherited when they became the dominant party several years ago.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:08 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Close the border to reduce the load on the grid. Remove all non-citizens.

Yep
The border county of El Paso is one of the few very smart places.
Can you guess why?
And can you guess what the dominate political party is?
Coincidence? I think not.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:10 AM

18,438 posts, read 8,268,923 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with wind and solar. Both are common in Texas and 20% of the power grid comes from them there. Why would you tear them down? But don't shut regular power plants for them. Let them add to what already exists. Electric cars are a problem. You wonder how much of the current issues come from them.
because when the sun don't shine......and the wind don't blow

....you need exactly that same amount of power generation from another source

you need an equal amount of coal, gas, nuclear, hydro

to power 1 million houses with wind/solar.....
...you have to build an equal amount of coal, gas, nuclear, hydro etc to power 1 million houses

Old 07-11-2022, 07:11 AM

1,688 posts, read 611,125 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with wind and solar. Both are common in Texas and 20% of the power grid comes from them there. Why would you tear them down? But don't shut regular power plants for them. Let them add to what already exists. Electric cars are a problem. You wonder how much of the current issues come from them.
Because neither wind nor solar are “reliable”. If you want to keep solar, fine. Wind creates a lot of waste. Nuclear is costly especially up front, but it is far more reliable. The world needs reliable energy with the least amount of environmental impact. At the moment, that is nuclear power and nothing else comes close besides maybe natural gas.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:11 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
ERCOT has been clear about the problem today and asked for people to conserve energy particularly between 2 and 3 in the afternoon. HORROR!!!

Turns out that we can NOT count on the Wind Farms today because the wind is not expected to produce much.
They are projected to only produce 8% of capacity.

Texas Faces Rolling Blackouts as ERCOT Warns Not to Use Major Appliances - Newsweek

According to ERCOT, the total forecasted power demand is expected to be 79,671 megawatts at the tightest hour—between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.—but just 80,168 megawatts are expected to be available.

While extremely hot weather is driving record power demand across the state, wind power is currently generating significantly less than usual, ERCOT said.

Current projections show wind generation coming in at around 8 percent of its capacity during Monday's busiest hour, according to ERCOT.

An ERCOT spokesperson told Newsweek: "We are not in an emergency situation. Our control room has issued a watch and we are asking for voluntary energy reduction where possible.
"If rotating outages became necessary, ERCOT would direct transmission and distribution companies to shed load/reduce demand in their areas/regions. Each area has an amount they would need to reduce demand by. It is up to them to manage the rotating outage if it were to occur. At this time, we do not anticipate this happening."

It’s been over 100 degrees for day for about 2 weeks now - in 1980, it was worse because we had a long streak of this - of course the EPA was not forcing Texas to use the unreliable Wind at that time.

In Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, high temperatures exceeded 100 °F (38 °C) a total of 69 times, including a record 42 consecutive days from June 23 to August 3, of which 28 days were above 105, and five days above 110.

We will be fine — Leftists will cry because we have power. Such odd people to be so excited about conserving power due to low wind and extremely high temperatures.
How can any of your accusations about the EPA be true when Texas explicitly remains disconnected from the National Power Grid so they don't have to upgrade to meet national standards, they chose to do that. It was their decision to incorporate Wind into their equation and remove other sources, its all on them...

Old 07-11-2022, 07:12 AM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
The Winter 2021 power outages in Texas were blamed primarily on lack of adequate winterization of the electrical distribution system in the State, and the failure of State leadership to mandate that providers implement the recommendations to improve winterization of the system.

Here it is Summer 2022, and Texans have been asked to conserve energy, to reduce strain of the grid. There have been no actual brownouts or blackouts, AFAIK. With daytime temperatures soaring above 100 in many parts of the State, I don't think the lack of winterization is the problem, in this case.

Texas has had an independent grid for decades, since the 1940s, if I'm not mistaken. ERCOT has been the overseer since 1970. It's something the GOP inherited when they became the dominant party several years ago.
I lived in Texas for 25 years. You can have extremes at both ends..winter and summer.
That's when the grid has strains.

With increasing population they do need to expand the grid. But with this administration's push to save the planet how well do you think Texas' expansion of the grid will go over in DC who would need to approve it ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies