Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 08:14 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times

Advertisements

No change in my electric bills...in fact since I replaced my Central AC unit this Spring to a more energy efficient unit, my electric bills are lower this summer than last and my old house built in 1924 is actually been cooler this Summer than last Summer was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 08:20 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Nothing new here.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:25 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,308,300 times
Green New Deal wasn't implemented. It was a proposal.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:25 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The country is waiting for the Texas grid to collapse again this summer due to one of the hottest summers on record. I'm sure they'll have more non-existent blame for themselves as usual. Extreme weather events and warming climate equal more grid problems.

This is why we need as much investment as possible, (public/private partnership), on the development and installation of battery storage technologies so we have a RESILIENT POWER GRID.
Why go after Texas? I mentioned in another thread (and sourced it) that CA has rates twice as high and has had 2.5x more blackouts.

TX chose dereg for cheap and that can come with problems so no argument there.

But CA (despite global warming) has relied heavily on hydro (oops) and nuke (turning it off) and they've already got soaring prices and availability issues prior to losing 15% of their power generation and increasing electricity demand at the same time.

I'm sure you and I can fully agree that we both like clean renewable energy but at the same time you have to balance availability and not crush the poor with soaring rates.

At least TX and their bargain basement approach is getting low rates for their occasional problems. Not how I would want things personally but that's for them to deal with.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:33 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The country is waiting for the Texas grid to collapse again this summer due to one of the hottest summers on record. I'm sure they'll have more non-existent blame for themselves as usual. Extreme weather events and warming climate equal more grid problems.

This is why we need as much investment as possible, (public/private partnership), on the development and installation of battery storage technologies so we have a RESILIENT POWER GRID.
ERCOT wants us to use way less during peak time of day. They have fired up old iffy coal fired plants to supplement.

Were I not too old to see any savings, there would be solar on the roof and a wall of storage in the garage.

Years ago when we had wood shingle roofs, we had little wind driven whirly bird things on the roof for removing heat from the attic . Wish someone could enable those things to make electricity.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:40 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Why go after Texas? I mentioned in another thread (and sourced it) that CA has rates twice as high and has had 2.5x more blackouts.

TX chose dereg for cheap and that can come with problems so no argument there.

But CA (despite global warming) has relied heavily on hydro (oops) and nuke (turning it off) and they've already got soaring prices and availability issues prior to losing 15% of their power generation and increasing electricity demand at the same time.

I'm sure you and I can fully agree that we both like clean renewable energy but at the same time you have to balance availability and not crush the poor with soaring rates.

At least TX and their bargain basement approach is getting low rates for their occasional problems. Not how I would want things personally but that's for them to deal with.
Yes, no disagreement there. California and Texas have different approaches, both with numerous pitfalls. Too much overall uncertainty, and the likelihood of higher prices most of the time is a clear reality.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:47 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Is your electric bill skyrocketing yet?
No.

According to Mathguy's links below, electricity in my state hasn't been this low since 2009.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:49 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
For the conversation:

Here are electricity rates by state 2003-13
https://ballotpedia.org/Historical_s...tricity_prices

Here is where they are as of the end of last year.
https://www.eia.gov/electricity/state/

CA since 2003 has gone from 12.2 to 18 per kw.
US Total 8.7 to 10.9
TX 9.2 to 8.4
IL 6.2 to 9.8
NY 14.3 to 14.8

Old 07-12-2022, 08:53 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
TVA remains 40% nuclear, 20% gas/oil, 17% coal, 10% hydroelectric, 9% purchased from other providers and 5% renewable.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...tva-by-source/

Since the Green New Deal does not exist in law it probably won't make any difference to TVA. I don't look for a huge rate increase.
Oil is below 100$ today and natural gas is about where it was last October at $6.60. Last October it was $6.31, but look at the chart; it has been all over the place.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:05 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
TVA remains 40% nuclear, 20% gas/oil, 17% coal, 10% hydroelectric, 9% purchased from other providers and 5% renewable.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...tva-by-source/

Since the Green New Deal does not exist in law it probably won't make any difference to TVA. I don't look for a huge rate increase.
Oil is below 100$ today and natural gas is about where it was last October at $6.60. Last October it was $6.31, but look at the chart; it has been all over the place.
I think people get tired of the insane energy price volatility over the course of one calendar year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies