Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 07:44 AM

6,093 posts, read 2,714,264 times

Advertisements

I better Sue McDonalds cause I'm overweight you made me eat those big macs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 07:44 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,106,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
so he passed something that regardless of what happens in court will go up the court food chain until it is found unconstitutional costing people a bunch of time and money on all sides and doing nothing. Well not quite nothing, fools who believe in this guy will cheer it on and forget about it by the time it works it's way thru the courts.
And almost even worse, at that point, we will have to hear from outraged liberals who were overly optimistic about this nonsense, illegal law. They will be crying, protesting, grandstanding with hyperbole about how the law that was to save them all from gun violence was struck down in the end. Can't wait. </sarcasm>

Old 07-13-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
The car manufacturer would be responsible if they made a car with no locks, a 1000HP engine, and no ignition key, where anyone could get in it and mow down a hundred people. Or where a kid could accidentally start it and mow down a hundred people.

We can't sue gun manufacturers for similar things, until now in California.

Guns are protected under our second amendment, but they can be made safe and only operable by the owner and not easily made into killing machines by people with bad intent. Enabling lawsuits against the gun manufacturers will increase safety of firearms for everybody. It's just a minority of ignorant buffoons that insist that you can't ever make guns safer, harder to obtain for crazy people, or otherwise put ANY rules in that would help reduce the epidemic of gun violence in this country. And unfortunately those morons vote in primaries.

What? Are you suggesting guns need to have some kind of ignition type of switch in order to be used? I mean, there's gun safes, trigger locks, built-in safeties, you need to be strong enough to chamber a round in the first place, there must be a magazine in place (assuming someone didn't chamber a round, take out the magazine, and then leave it laying around), you also need to be strong enough with big enough fingers to pull the trigger.

I feel like 99.9% of people who are against guns or for gun control have never used a gun.

There are so many different types of guns and all can be used for nefarious purposes if the user has that intent...just like prescription medications, vehicles, farm machinery, kitchen utensils, any heavy object, a rope, a women's razor, the dirt in your backyard...where does it end? Are you for banning all of that stuff because it could be used to hurt someone? Will you advocate for taking away people's right to kill their own food because you're shaking in your boots that someone might use that same weapon for hurting a person? How many hunters do you know who have used their guns to kill a person?

Old 07-13-2022, 07:54 AM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Wait till someone loses their shirt suing Remington, because they will lose. An attorney stupid enough to even take the case, good luck.

Old 07-13-2022, 08:05 AM

5,998 posts, read 2,825,640 times
Quote:
About time. This needs to happen federally. You can sue any other companies for making unsafe products.
Your post, an unsafe product, has mentally and emotionally harmed me. See you in court!

This is the dumbest post I have ever read! If you had your way, there would literally be NOTHING to purchase, as no one would sell anything, out of "fear" of perpetual lawsuits.

Quite a slippery slope you are walking down, not like you actually care, though...

Old 07-13-2022, 08:06 AM

45,305 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
About time. This needs to happen federally. You can sue any other companies for making unsafe products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
We are talking about different things here. Of all the incidents where people drove into a crowd with the intent to kill, no car makers were held responsible. It would be absurd to hold them responsible.

Similarly it would be absurd to hold gun makers responsible if a murderer uses their gun to kill.

I am not talking about product safety. Don't respond to me if you don't want to stay on topic.
The problem is that enough people are so obtuse and.................limited that your correction and logic goes in one ear and out the other.

Old 07-13-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
So you are OK with guns killing little kids. Never mind that cars can avoid pedestrians, auto stop, and all the other safety features. Guns should be able to mow down elementary school children and be available to everyone who wants one. Hope you enjoy your justification for mass shootings.
Are you feeling okay? That is quite the mental leap.

Btw you must be driving some brand new, top of the line vehicle b/c you seem to think all cars have these safety features. I can start my 2016 van without stepping on the brake, which is great so I can be in the back buckling my kids but reach forward to turn the car on to start cooling down without having to get out and step on the brake and then go back to buckling. The vast majority of vehicles are not auto braking or anything like that. And a lot of manufacturers seem to have moved away from the whole keyless ignition where the key fob just needs to be near the car for the car to run. My husband's 2015 is like that and it's actually weird and annoying, maybe b/c I don't wear pockets so I have to figure out where to put the key so it doesn't go missing. I would never buy a car that will swerve to avoid pedestrians, that's asking for all sorts of problems.

Needless to say, what you think is "safe" is not what everyone believes is safe or necessary to be responsible with a vehicle (or gun).

Old 07-13-2022, 08:08 AM

30,127 posts, read 11,759,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
so he passed something that regardless of what happens in court will go up the court food chain until it is found unconstitutional costing people a bunch of time and money on all sides and doing nothing. Well not quite nothing, fools who believe in this guy will cheer it on and forget about it by the time it works it's way thru the courts.

Sort of like Trump and his team fighting "election fraud." Both sides waste money with frivolous nonsense.

Old 07-13-2022, 08:27 AM

6,359 posts, read 2,693,504 times
Quote:
Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) signed legislation into law Tuesday allowing California residents who are victims of crime to sue gun makers.

The new law means gun makers “could face lawsuits if their products are ‘abnormally dangerous,’ are sold in a way that lets them be illegally converted, or end up in the hands of people who are prohibited from owning firearms.”

However, the protections set forth in the PLCAA do not shield gun manufacturers from lawsuits over defective goods, criminal misconduct on the part of the gun maker, etc. In other words, the protections in PLCAA do not provide gun makers with “legal immunity.”

Politico notes that the law Newsom signed “is likely to face a court challenge.” That challenge will likely claim the new California law violates the protections set forth in PLCAA.
There is no "likely" about it, this law will end up in court, and has a high likelihood of getting tossed out. No manufacturer can be responsible for who uses the product. They can't control who ends up with the gun, just like a car manufacturer can't keep someone who has a suspended license and 5 drunk driving convictions from driving the car.

The intended purpose of a gun is to kill, which seems to be a shock to many. It is not a defect of the weapon when that happens. But it does not mean the manufacturer's intention was for them to be used illegally, and only a tiny fraction of a percent is actually used for illegal purposes. Soldiers use guns to kill the enemy, hunters use guns to kill various game animals, and civilians use guns to protect life and property. All very legal, but with many restrictions.

When a person uses a gun illegally, they are supposed to face the consequences. Unfortunately, the same people pushing these types of laws are the ones that are also generally releasing the criminals without holding them accountable. But that is not the fault of the gun manufacturer.

Old 07-13-2022, 09:24 AM

18,424 posts, read 8,256,472 times
the vast majority perpetrators and victims of gun violence...in Calif....are black and latino males

looks like liberal fig newton is giving them all an out....instead of addressing the problem

but your honor.....the gun made me do it

so it's a win win all the way around....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies