Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 05:36 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Not all of them but back in the 1950's parade attacks, school attacks, supermarket attacks and subway shovings weren't part of the daily news diet. Now they are.
When a family can't handle a loved one they have no place to put them. This is humanity?
There are probably lots of things that are different from the 50s and now......cheap oil just being one of them.

But, let's put it this way, given the way government has acted, do you really want to give them the power to do as they want? Where to get out, one has to go up against the resources they have to prove that they are innocent of not being a threat?

With all the history of the US, such as how the Black has been treated from the courts to the lynchings to being bombed from the air to Central Park or with the Native Americans, with how those two populations have been treated by the government..............

....................do you really trust them not to come after others with the powers they have if they have a need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 05:53 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
States began to close their institutions in the 50’s. They had become political embarrassments and the masses were none to keen on funding them.

The world is full of whack jobs. They tend not to shoot up schools, grocery stores, big box stores, malls, night
clubs, parades, baseball fields, movie theaters, etc.

In the US, the mentally ill are far more likely to be victims than aggressors.

What objective criteria could be used to forcibly institutionalize/ treat people?

In absence of a history of violence, there is little to predict future violence.
I dare any of you to come to a local homeless camp and sleep in a tent for a night. Take your pick, there are hundreds of them. Woman killed yesterday, another woman, a US star in the Olympics smashed in the face with a pipe. There is a video of grade school kids picking their way through a bunch of junkies shooting up. All caught on film.

Old 07-13-2022, 05:57 PM

1,866 posts, read 934,031 times
We obviously need to re-open institutions to house the severely mentally ill, especially the violent ones.

Old 07-13-2022, 06:07 PM

2,612 posts, read 929,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Not all of them but back in the 1950's parade attacks, school attacks, supermarket attacks and subway shovings weren't part of the daily news diet. Now they are.
When a family can't handle a loved one they have no place to put them. This is humanity?
There were definitely periods of time where there was significantly more crime than now. There is no need to use dramatics to try to take away people's rights. I understand the desire to reduce risk but it has to be done very carefully because abuse comes hand in hand with government power.

Old 07-13-2022, 06:27 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I dare any of you to come to a local homeless camp and sleep in a tent for a night. Take your pick, there are hundreds of them. Woman killed yesterday, another woman, a US star in the Olympics smashed in the face with a pipe. There is a video of grade school kids picking their way through a bunch of junkies shooting up. All caught on film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
We obviously need to re-open institutions to house the severely mentally ill, especially the violent ones.
I obviously agree. The government should be run for the benefit of the sane, not the crazed. Compassion, yes but the inmates cannot run society.

Old 07-13-2022, 10:01 PM

1,926 posts, read 557,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
The institutions didn't know what to do with them then, wouldn't know what to do with them now. Institutions are a manner of confinement not much different than prisons, not bastions of healing or rehabilitation.

Old 07-13-2022, 10:03 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Sorry, but Republicans have been cutting mental health funding, why do you think that would change?

Old 07-13-2022, 10:15 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post
The institutions didn't know what to do with them then, wouldn't know what to do with them now. Institutions are a manner of confinement not much different than prisons, not bastions of healing or rehabilitation.
The severely disturbed can't be rehabilitated. This is how they were born and how their brain is wired. When young kids torture animals and show violent behavior towards others, you know something is wrong with them.

Old 07-14-2022, 09:33 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The severely disturbed can't be rehabilitated. This is how they were born and how their brain is wired. When young kids torture animals and show violent behavior towards others, you know something is wrong with them.
Maybe..........that is, we know the worst case scenarios and that was their symptoms but do we know if all who are like that will turn out that way?

I hate to say it but when I was a child, I was sort of like that. Loved dogs, chased and teased cats, bred to be blood thirsty........and, older, being around military minded types didn't help. It was like being, in more recent reference, Callisto (Xena) where if you are the crazy or psycho type, those around expand on that.

A and B. A: Somewhere with me, it burned out and I became the angel I am today.

B: Times are different. After all, when I was in high school, they gave us like candy Ranger manuals with picture instructions of how to use C4 and det cord. In NROTC, we joked about going postal as that failing student when they don't pull it off on the final. In the submarine simulator, we thought nothing of sinking a Soviet hospital ship because to use, whether alive and healthy or wounded, a dead Soviet was the only good thing...........(and then I found out that a reason why not to sink hospital ships is that they may be used to transport your POWs).

Old 07-14-2022, 09:47 AM

1,926 posts, read 557,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Okay, so what do you do with them before they become adults? As I said, institutions are not much different than prisons. We just feel better about the name I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies