Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2022, 12:35 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I lost money way back in the Oct. 1987 crash, never to return to the market. As Alan Greenspan said in his memoirs, his conclusion: the Stocke market is fickle!
well, you certainly pay no attention to it then presumably. To the extent that you probably don't realize that less than 10% of workers have a pension anymore, it's almost always a 401K plan...which relies on their investing for their own retirement.

When you say you "lost money in 1987" .... you mean you put it all in in late August and were forced to sell 3 months later? Lost ~33%? Because the market dropped back to it's level just 1 year before - September 1986. Or are you just saying your account value dropped an unrealized 33% in 2 months and you got out?

Because today, while we're thankfully not down 33% from our peak (Nov 21), we are all the way back to 1/1/21 - right before Biden took office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 12:42 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Again I ask, is Biden to blame for the massive inflation in other countries as well?
You do know inflation in other countries has zero bearing in our bidenflation right? Different currencies.

A much better argument would be that Trump would have caused the same inflation, though at a much lower degree. I would buy that.

Old 07-13-2022, 12:54 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
Quote:
Again I ask, is Biden to blame for the massive inflation in other countries as well?
what other countries do you speak of

Canada, France, Mexico, Germany, England, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Australia, India, China , Italy are all nearly half what we are

Old 07-13-2022, 12:55 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
No, just the US. Each country is responsible for what they did 2020 and 2021.

In this case blame rests on both parties.
Pretty much the entire world that has free market economies is experiencing the same thing as the US. Their citizens blame their politicians just like Americans do. It's silly, but we share the need to blame someone.

Old 07-13-2022, 12:58 PM

21,906 posts, read 9,480,467 times
Quote:
Is he to blame for the massive inflation in other countries too?
Ugh. YES!!! He has declared war on the fossil fuel industry. He SAID he was going to shut it down in the debates. BECAUSE oil is a commodity and because the entire world uses OIL, this had a huge impact on the entire world. Since I am guessing you are not this stupid, I once again assert that you are paid to post this nonsense.

Old 07-13-2022, 12:59 PM

21,906 posts, read 9,480,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
He's probably still on maternity leave with his new kid.
Which husband birthed the baby?

Old 07-13-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
what other countries do you speak of

Canada, France, Mexico, Germany, England, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Australia, India, China , Italy are all nearly half what we are
Balderdash! Canada had 7.7% in May a mere point behind the US. Germany 7.9%. UK 9.1% in May. Italy 6.8% China is a managed economy not a free market so you can't compare. I did not look at the others, but, you are wrong in your assertion. Inflation is world wide problem and it is for the same reasons as the US - and that reason is not Biden.

Old 07-13-2022, 01:10 PM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
Is he to blame for the massive inflation in other countries too?
He is to blame for however much can be pinned on him….or did you forget how it works after Trump left office?

Old 07-13-2022, 01:11 PM

30,135 posts, read 11,759,905 times
Quote:
We're close in our inflation rates. Biden isn't president in those countries. So methinks there are other factors involved with inflation.

I am not on here blaming Biden for everything. But over a year ago inflation was gaining steam. We probably could have raised rates say .5% then and could have stunted it from being where it is now. Blame the fed, blame Biden, blame is economic advisors. But that would have been a bold move and there was no political will to do that. So we waited until it was out of control.

Old 07-13-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Ugh. YES!!! He has declared war on the fossil fuel industry. He SAID he was going to shut it down in the debates. BECAUSE oil is a commodity and because the entire world uses OIL, this had a huge impact on the entire world. Since I am guessing you are not this stupid, I once again assert that you are paid to post this nonsense.
In Canada, Trudeau is blamed for high gas prices much as Biden is here even though Canada is a major oil producer with no shortage of crude for domestic or export needs.

It's just oppotunistic politics. Both here and there.

Here's a link. It has a pay wall but you can see the headline. Trudeau's fault! Guess they haven't seen your argument there.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/colum...-trudeau-again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies