Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 08:28 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Agree! And now Trump is hosting Saudi-backed LIV golf tournaments at his resorts. The boom you hear are of lefty heads exploding.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna37693

Biden will stay in their good graces. Just keep sending them weapons to commit genocide against those in Yemen. Just like Trump and Obama and Bush did. That's the boom those in Yemen are hearing anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 08:28 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Precisely - SA is the rudder that steers OPEC+.

For this to be such a hot-button issue, it must be the first time a sitting President has made such a request, right?
No need to be facetious, every president in my memory has a picture with the SA King for a dang good reason.

Since the oil crisis and huge inflation in the 70's, the Sauds have helped keep oil reasonable for the most part and we have been their silent muscle.

Biden went a bit too big with the public Saudi rhetoric, it's a Kingdom for crying out loud, shocker that they might kill a dissident etc. (Heck we have some nasty killings in our CIA history as well). He is CLEARLY on the naughty list with SA, so let's see how that plays out.

IMO Obama (to keep a non-partisan example) would have expressed disappointment etc. and chosen his words better than issuing threats about pariahs etc. That culture takes such comments...personally...something unwise to do to a king you want something from.

Old 07-14-2022, 08:30 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No need to be facetious, every president in my memory has a picture with the SA King for a dang good reason.

Since the oil crisis and huge inflation in the 70's, the Sauds have helped keep oil reasonable for the most part and we have been their silent muscle.

Biden went a bit too big with the public Saudi rhetoric, it's a Kingdom for crying out loud, shocker that they might kill a dissident etc. (Heck we have some nasty killings in our CIA history as well). He is CLEARLY on the naughty list with SA, so let's see how that plays out.

IMO Obama (to keep a non-partisan example) would have expressed disappointment etc. and chosen his words better than issuing threats about pariahs etc. That culture takes such comments...personally...something unwise to do to a king you want something from.
Apologies, the 2nd part of my post wasn't directed at you - it was a statement regarding the general sentiment of this thread.

Old 07-14-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Couldn't rep you again, yet.

Further, it's a global market. SA increasing output could/should reduce prices whether we buy a single drop from SA or not. Have we all forgotten about the Saudi/Russia price war already?

https://www.worldoil.com/news/2020/5...ssia-price-war

...OPEC’s crude production surged by the most in almost 30 years last month as its biggest members fought to dominate a global market devastated by the coronavirus crisis.

Saudi Arabia, the cartel’s most powerful member, pumped a record of more than 11 million barrels a day as it waged a price war against its former ally Russia, a Bloomberg survey showed.

Though they reached a truce by mid-April, striking a deal to cut vast amounts of supply, the Saudis continued to keep production high for much of the month -- even with demand suffering an unprecedented free-fall
(emphasis mine)
+1 Nailed it again.

Old 07-14-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Apologies, the 2nd part of my post wasn't directed at you - it was a statement regarding the general sentiment of this thread.

Sorry, I meant to add a smiley at the end of that and was just going back to do so when seeing it was too late.

Old 07-14-2022, 08:34 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Sorry, I meant to add a smiley at the end of that and was just going back to do so when seeing it was too late.
No worries.

Old 07-14-2022, 10:17 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Ah, but there is the rub.

Your partisan brain inserted Biden into my posts when I did not.

I do not hold Biden solely accountable for high gas prices, there are lots of factors involved and I fully agree this has been years in the making.

Furthermore, I'm well aware that the move to get us off fossil fuels goes back decades.

The main issue I've had with the Biden administration is that they have been blaming everybody and anybody else the same thing you're mad about people just blaming Biden. Pot\Kettle politics.

Correctly discerning that Biden isn't solely to blame here but then turning around and trying to pin it on the oil companies is partisanship at work, which I'm not buying into in EITHER case.

The oil companies, facing increasing pressure to greatly decrease gasoline consumption in the US in the future have been decreasing long term investment. Not sure why you've been arguing with me about that...probably because you thought I said it was all Biden's fault.
Considering the partisan topic and the partisan posting throughout I assumed you were on the same track so i'll stand corrected there, and I agree with the bolded above. I don't pay much mind to the blame game because I understand what a world commodity is and how the global market affects it just as declining prices during the previous administration lead to reductions in investment and production.

Blaming the oil companies for much is not partisan, they are a private industry and their actions affect many. I have seen too many time where gas prices rise because of refinery issues took one off line (and I don't mean hurricanes) .

Has the current President made mistakes of course but no more/less than others have and as we know the US Oil industry is not owned by the government the way is may be in other countries. Here's a recent story which also points out the refinery issue and how it has been coming for some time, they say "The US hasn’t built a full-scale refinery since 1977."https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-13/high-gas-prices-reflect-decline-in-us-refining-capacity.

Old 07-14-2022, 10:21 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Agree! And now Trump is hosting Saudi-backed LIV golf tournaments at his resorts. The boom you hear are of lefty heads exploding.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna37693
Well to use some of the rhetoric you read on these boards one could say he never met a despot he didn't like...

Old 07-14-2022, 10:25 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I wonder if Biden will bow to the Royals as Obama did. If he does I hope there is someone there to help him back up.

Also what is crazy is I heard that Biden will not be shaking hands with anyone out of fear of catching Covid. How rude is that? A firm handshake is everything to some people and a weak one or none at all can be viewed as weakness, a snub and the start of deceit. Shake hands man and have one of your aids give you a squirt of sanitizer.

What a Boob he is.

Old 07-14-2022, 10:26 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I wonder if Biden will bow to the Royals as Obama did. If he does I hope there is someone there to help him back up.

Also what is crazy is I heard that Biden will not be shaking hands with anyone out of fear of catching Covid. How rude is that? A firm handshake is everything to some people and a weak one or none at all can be viewed as weakness, a snub and the start of deceit. Shake hands man and have one of your aids give you a squirt of sanitizer.

What a Boob he is.
But isn't he fully vaccinated and boosted? So he would most likely not get a severe case?

I realize that question is off-topic, but just makes ya wonder!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies