Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 11:58 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,666,549 times

Advertisements

next, the crazy Democrats will cancel the electoral college, oh wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 12:35 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Because some partisans decided to be intentionally ignorant.
must be a bi-partisan partisanship situation, then.

Quote:
Senators from both parties have reached an agreement to clarify that the vice president only has a ceremonial role in overseeing the certification of the electoral results

Old 07-14-2022, 12:38 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
must be a bi-partisan partisanship situation, then.
No, the bi-partisan "clarification" is the response. My guess is they're going to state, explicitly, what anyone with an 8th grade level of reading could understand.

Old 07-14-2022, 12:44 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
What exactly needs clarifying?
Whether or not the Dems cheated.

The election results are clear.

Old 07-14-2022, 01:56 PM

13,258 posts, read 7,312,118 times
If Pence had rejected the certificates, or Cruz had gotten his way of delaying the count the theory was the election would be kicked into the house where a contested election could be voted on by state delegation overturning the election results.

Another issue is the low bar to reach to reject a states certificates where if one house member and one senator object to that states certificates then a simple majority vote could actually reject those certificates. If one party held a majority in the house and senate that one party could simply vote to remove enough states to kick it into the house where a party can vote who they want to win.

It should require a super majority of 2/3 to reject certificates from a state the same as impeachment.

Old 07-15-2022, 10:25 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
This is why I do not understand why some are caught up in the "betrayal" from Vice President Pence. All the Vice President does is count the votes of the electors. Anything else is supposed to be dealt with in State Houses. There was nothing he could have done, even if there was solid evidence of a stolen election.

(I am not quite sure I believe the election was stolen, but it certainly was not fair.)
Oh, why do you think it wasn't fair? Realize that team Trump went to court 61 times and all but one case was tossed. Team Trump went to the Supreme Court and they said take a hike. Bill Barr looked into wide spread voter fraud and he said. Um nope.

Twisting clarification into a Vice Presidents role in counting electoral votes into something nefarious to keep the big lie going? Well, all I can say is this fringe conspiracy theory will fade away and that legislation to make it abundantly clear that a VP can not toss electoral college votes is needed to convince the gas lighted fringe that it really is so. Hang Mike Pence? Come on man. These people we morons caught up in a conspiracy theory fomented by a desperate man to cling to power. The proof is out there for all who want to see it. The rest, well. There is no hope. They've been gas lighted to the point of no return. You know, like those Jimmies that followed Jim Jones over the cliff.

Old 07-15-2022, 11:03 AM

6,028 posts, read 2,846,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Oh, why do you think it wasn't fair? Realize that team Trump went to court 61 times and all but one case was tossed. Team Trump went to the Supreme Court and they said take a hike. Bill Barr looked into wide spread voter fraud and he said. Um nope.
Election laws were changed, mere months from Election Day, due to the pandemic, that had no checks and balances, and in some cases, have now been ruled to be unconstitutional. This was done by BOTH Republicans and Democrats.

There is no way I can be convinced that the 2020 Election was fair. But, that does not necessarily mean it was fraudulent. However, it should be noted that these laws that were change, and now ruled unconstitutional, made it much easier for fraud to occur. Hopefully, the remaining laws that have yet to be ruled unconstitutional can be changed back to what they previously were. Trust in our elections is vital to the success of our Nation.

Old 07-15-2022, 12:11 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Election laws were changed, mere months from Election Day, due to the pandemic, that had no checks and balances, and in some cases, have now been ruled to be unconstitutional. This was done by BOTH Republicans and Democrats.

There is no way I can be convinced that the 2020 Election was fair. But, that does not necessarily mean it was fraudulent. However, it should be noted that these laws that were change, and now ruled unconstitutional, made it much easier for fraud to occur. Hopefully, the remaining laws that have yet to be ruled unconstitutional can be changed back to what they previously were. Trust in our elections is vital to the success of our Nation.
I totally agree with what you're saying. However, each of these law suites were tossed and the SCOTUS refused the cases. What do you think that means? If there is a hint of something inappropriate, it is decided in court, and Trump lost all but one case where some ballots were set aside that made zero difference to the outcome of the election. Again. Bill Barr Trump's lap dog drew his line in the sand when he refused to perpetuate the lie that the election was stolen. I urge you to read the transcripts from the January 6th Republican testimony. They will tell you the same thing.

When you have a con man who has a foundation and university shut down for fraud and you have that same con man perpetuating lies and conspiracy theories to raise money for his political PAC. It is not a far stretch to 4.

No election is 100 percent perfect, and there is something terribly wrong when the electoral college does not align with the popular vote. I urge you to research the process of how elections work. Each state decides how it is done. There is no one size fits all, and the bottom line is what the courts decide.

Old 07-15-2022, 03:02 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I totally agree with what you're saying. However, each of these law suites were tossed and the SCOTUS refused the cases. What do you think that means? If there is a hint of something inappropriate, it is decided in court, and Trump lost all but one case where some ballots were set aside that made zero difference to the outcome of the election. Again. Bill Barr Trump's lap dog drew his line in the sand when he refused to perpetuate the lie that the election was stolen. I urge you to read the transcripts from the January 6th Republican testimony. They will tell you the same thing.

When you have a con man who has a foundation and university shut down for fraud and you have that same con man perpetuating lies and conspiracy theories to raise money for his political PAC. It is not a far stretch to 4.

No election is 100 percent perfect, and there is something terribly wrong when the electoral college does not align with the popular vote. I urge you to research the process of how elections work. Each state decides how it is done. There is no one size fits all, and the bottom line is what the courts decide.
The winner of the popular vote has won the Electoral College 90% of the time since its inception, but I’m afraid that that might be a thing of the past. With California no longer remotely competitive and the R margin in Texas and other large population states being too small to counter California, we may not see a Republican winning the pop vote in the foreseeable future, but still consistently win in the EC which could undermine voters confidence in our system of government. I’m not sure that consistent minority rule in a democracy is sustainable.

Old 07-15-2022, 03:20 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
The winner of the popular vote has won the Electoral College 90% of the time since its inception, but I’m afraid that that might be a thing of the past. With California no longer remotely competitive and the R margin in Texas and other large population states being too small to counter California, we may not see a Republican winning the pop vote in the foreseeable future, but still consistently win in the EC which could undermine voters confidence in our system of government. I’m not sure that consistent minority rule in a democracy is sustainable.
This would seem like a good reason to start teaching basic civics again so the next generation will remember the basic structure of our government is a federation of sovereign states. Then maybe we'll stop trying to solve every perceived problem at the federal level which unnecessarily escalates the stakes of every federal election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies