Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was the best First Lady?
Melania Trump 54 19.57%
Michelle Obama 32 11.59%
Laura Bush 16 5.80%
Hillary Clinton 16 5.80%
Barbara Bush 29 10.51%
Nancy Reagan 27 9.78%
Eleanor Roosevelt 79 28.62%
Dolley Madison 12 4.35%
Martha Washington 11 3.99%
Jackie Kennedy 0 0%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 05:56 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,635,458 times

Advertisements

It’s not a real position of power but some first ladies have been very influential. I added the ones who are either recent or well-known. Below is a brief description of what I remember them for:

Melania Trump: known as a beacon for immigrants and a symbol of beauty, grace, and strength, she helped renovate the White House and garden.

Michelle Obama: Michelle tried to improve the health of children and reduce childhood obesity. She probably didn’t realize The strength of the industrial food complex she was up against.

Laura Bush: perhaps the only first lady to have ever killed anyone, she was also known for her child reading programs.

Hillary Clinton: as a first lady, Hillary was known for standing by her man through his affair with an intern.

Barbra Bush: she started a library.

Nancy Regan: Nancy fought hard to keep children off drugs. Her efforts help transform the crime ridden 80s into the more prosperous 90s.

Eleanor Roosevelt: the longest serving first lady, her quotes appear in various inspirational publications

Dolly Madison: a great patriot and American, Dolly risked her life to save various National treasures while the British were burning Washington during the war of 1812.

Martha Washington: the first first lady, Martha accompanied her husband during his fight against the British
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 07-14-2022, 05:58 PM
bu2

24,145 posts, read 14,986,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It’s not a real position of power but some first ladies have been very influential. I added the ones who are either recent or well-known. Below is a brief description of what I remember them for:

Melania Trump: known as a beacon for immigrants and a symbol of beauty, grace, and strength, she helped renovate the White House and garden.

Michelle Obama: Michelle tried to improve the health of children and reduce childhood obesity. She probably didn’t realize The strength of the industrial food complex she was up against.

Laura Bush: perhaps the only first lady to have ever killed anyone, she was also known for her child reading programs.

Hillary Clinton: as a first lady, Hillary was known for standing by her man through his affair with an intern.

Barbra Bush: she started a library.

Nancy Regan: Nancy fought hard to keep children off drugs. Her efforts help transform the crime ridden 80s into the more prosperous 90s.

Eleanor Roosevelt: the longest serving first lady, her quotes appear in various inspirational publications

Dolly Madison: a great patriot and American, Dolly risked her life to save various National treasures while the British were burning Washington during the war of 1812.

Martha Washington: the first first lady, Martha accompanied her husband during his fight against the British
Any such list should include Edith Wilson and Jackie Kennedy.

Old 07-14-2022, 06:01 PM

57,405 posts, read 26,390,873 times
No one can hold a candle to Eleanor Roosvelt.

Old 07-14-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Any such list should include Edith Wilson and Jackie Kennedy.
What did Jackie do?

Old 07-14-2022, 06:14 PM

6,456 posts, read 7,029,624 times
I voted Nancy simply because I believe that she had a major influence in crafting Regean’s policies in his second term…the only FL I think that had as much influence is Hillary

My second choices would be Elenor Roosevelt, Abigail Adams and Mary Todd Lincoln (not a choice but should be IMO)

Old 07-14-2022, 06:17 PM

6,914 posts, read 9,448,296 times
Although on a more serious note, I’m not sure who I would choose. To me, I don’t really like when First Ladies have an agenda and try to enact policy changes, as they are not elected.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-15-2022 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-14-2022, 06:29 PM

10,184 posts, read 20,827,801 times
Melania was certainly the most beautiful, poised, and classy of the First Ladies. Treated harshly by the media she maintained her dignity and bearing.

Mooch is by far the most divisive, never missing an opportunity to play the race card and stuff French fries and cheeseburgers into her face while telling others to eat healthy.

Hillary was the most corrupt, and only stayed married to Pedo-Bill so she could spin her own political career.

Nancy Reagan was lauded for her “just say no” campaign, but she always seemed somewhat out of touch with the working class American.

Pat Nixon was an accomplished First Lady. First one to visit a combat zone in Vietnam, collected over 600 pieces of rare art for the White House, performed an abundance of volunteer work at home and abroad, she had wheelchair ramps installed at WH, made WH grounds and gardens available to public, promoted and encouraged women to join politics and female military members serving the WH.

Old 07-14-2022, 06:34 PM

500 posts, read 320,426 times
I voted for Eleanor too; she seems to have been at one with the people.

I'm really, really glad that you did not include that ghastly Johnson woman in your list; imagine staying married all that time to that thug.

Old 07-14-2022, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Although on a more serious note, I’m not sure who I would choose. To me, I don’t really like when First Ladies have an agenda and try to enact policy changes, as they are not elected.
Dolly’s primary contribution was more patriotic than agenda-driven.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-15-2022 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 07-14-2022, 06:47 PM

6,760 posts, read 8,617,448 times
Dolly Madison stayed behind in the face of an invading army to save priceless pieces of American history.
She was a strong supporter of her husband and set the standard that other first ladies could only dream of.

The others on the list are noteworthy for their accomplishments.

Hillary and Michelle are only noteworthy for their corruption and hatred of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies