Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was the best First Lady?
Melania Trump 54 19.57%
Michelle Obama 32 11.59%
Laura Bush 16 5.80%
Hillary Clinton 16 5.80%
Barbara Bush 29 10.51%
Nancy Reagan 27 9.78%
Eleanor Roosevelt 79 28.62%
Dolley Madison 12 4.35%
Martha Washington 11 3.99%
Jackie Kennedy 0 0%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 03:12 PM

88,589 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Hey that is DR Jill and don't you forget it!

Moochelle was the worse. We hired Barack NOT his wife yet she stuck her now into so many things that were none of her business. I'll never forget about her complaining about living in a House that Slaves built yet she has made a fortune for having to suffer for 8 years.

Melania was amazing if only the media would have given her half a chance. Imagine being a former super model and no one wants you on the cover of their magazine but Moochelle had "graced" them all.

Oh well.

I'm sure Trump is still thinking about running in 2024 and Melania is like "I'm going to divorce you if you do". Why would she want to give up her lavish jet setting lifestyle to again become a target of the media that trashed her whole family every single day?

I always thought Nancy was good and Barbara Bush was like a Grandmother. Hillary? UGH...
That's pretty dishonest, isn't it? Don't care if you don't like Michelle Obama, but when you try to twist somebody's words to make it seems as if they meant something they didn't, it makes you look a heck of a lot worse than the person you are trying to disparage.

There is no "complaining" to be found anywhere in this passage, simply truth in a note that America has progressed from some of the errors of its past:

Quote:
That is the story of this country, the story that has brought me to this stage tonight, the story of generations of people who felt the lash of bondage, the shame of servitude, the sting of segregation, but who kept on striving and hoping and doing what needed to be done so that today I wake up every morning in a house that was built by slaves. And I watch my daughters, two beautiful, intelligent, black young women playing with their dogs on the White House lawn.
https://time.com/4423691/michelle-ob...peech-history/

Old 07-15-2022, 03:37 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Hillary Clinton is the only one who ran, got nominated and received the most votes in a presidential election. That's quite an accomplishment. She also owns the cons living rent free in their heads for several decades now. Does it make her the best? Maybe, but I voted for Roosevelt.
Hillary is also totally corrupt.

Old 07-15-2022, 05:24 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,220,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I voted Nancy simply because I believe that she had a major influence in crafting Regean’s policies in his second term…the only FL I think that had as much influence is Hillary

My second choices would be Elenor Roosevelt, Abigail Adams and Mary Todd Lincoln (not a choice but should be IMO)
So....another person that thinks Edith Wilson should have been included?

This poll really should have been limited to the last 50 years since so many people seem to look only at the first ladies in their lifetimes.

Old 07-15-2022, 06:04 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,153,249 times
I'm with those who would have like to have seen Edith Wilson and Abigail Adams in the list. Both very deserving of the honor, but with the list in mind, I voted for Roosevelt.

Old 07-15-2022, 06:40 PM

13,460 posts, read 4,297,780 times
You would think Democrats that are for the poor and middle class and feminists wouldn't adore the Roosevelt or pick Eleanor as their favorite first lady. It was an American Monarchy and Eleanor was a bad example of woman dignity or independence.

You would think but Democrats deep down like monarchy and be them.

Old 07-15-2022, 07:27 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times
Abigail Adams.

Old 07-15-2022, 07:47 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It’s not a real position of power but some first ladies have been very influential. I added the ones who are either recent or well-known. Below is a brief description of what I remember them for:

Melania Trump: known as a beacon for immigrants and a symbol of beauty, grace, and strength, she helped renovate the White House and garden.

Michelle Obama: Michelle tried to improve the health of children and reduce childhood obesity. She probably didn’t realize The strength of the industrial food complex she was up against.

Laura Bush: perhaps the only first lady to have ever killed anyone, she was also known for her child reading programs.

Hillary Clinton: as a first lady, Hillary was known for standing by her man through his affair with an intern.

Barbra Bush: she started a library.

Nancy Regan: Nancy fought hard to keep children off drugs. Her efforts help transform the crime ridden 80s into the more prosperous 90s.

Eleanor Roosevelt: the longest serving first lady, her quotes appear in various inspirational publications

Dolly Madison: a great patriot and American, Dolly risked her life to save various National treasures while the British were burning Washington during the war of 1812.

Martha Washington: the first first lady, Martha accompanied her husband during his fight against the British

Laura Bush: perhaps the only first lady to have ever killed anyone, she was also known for her child reading programs.

(cough, cough, Hillary...cough, cough)

Old 07-15-2022, 07:52 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
I went with my favorite that I could recall, but yeah some of the ones from before I was born were pretty amazing. Tough choices.

Old 07-15-2022, 08:36 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,229,309 times
Jackie O

Old 07-15-2022, 08:38 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,229,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
What did Jackie do?
First ladies don't do anything other than be a socialite.

I still choose Jackie O.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies