Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 09:23 PM

57,289 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Infringement of Academic Freedom.

I must have missed that Amendment in the US Constitution. WTF?

GOVERNMENT schools follow GOVERNMENT rules. If I had my way, there would be no government schools. Just a voucher for every kid to take to the private school of his or her choice and you either pay additional for transportation or get your kid there on your own. The bad schools would fail and the good schools would prosper and expand in size or with new locations. The schools would answer directly to the parents of the student body. If those parents want their kids to know how to put a condom on a cucumber, so be it. At least you would be free to take your kid and your voucher to a different school.

Academic "infringement". What a jackwipe.
Ah yes the argument “it’s legal”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 11:29 PM

11,482 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Guilt-riddled lefties. the anthropology department's website at UCF said, “We acknowledge that many of us are born with unearned privilege, while others are denied basic human rights."

If their "privilege" bothers them so much, move somewhere where they're minorities and will be treated like fresh poop. Goodbye guilt!

Long long ago in a place far far away, government schools were good. Then The Left started worming in. Now it seems most schools ingrain stupidity and hate. Our civilization is in deep trouble.
Good reminder. My grade school days were in 1960s California and at that time were the envy of the world. This article discussed the collapse of California schools from the mid-1970s until they were absolutely dismal in the mid 1990s. Sad.

Once again, well-intentioned government intervention backfired and simply caused all schools to become about equally bad, rather than raising the quality of the few bad schools.

Documentary examines how California public schools fell 'from first to worst'

From First to Worst, a production of the Merrow Report, details how California's public school system went from the nation's best in the 1950s to its worst by 1994.

The film describes how, in the 1950s and 1960s, communities funded and controlled their local schools. But, in 1965, deadly riots in the Watts section of Los Angeles underscored how this system had created vast education inequities, with well-to-do districts outspending poor ones by 4-to-1. In 1968, Serrano v. Priest challenged the system of using local property taxes to fund local schools. The suit was settled in the mid-1970s and resulted in limiting state spending to just a few thousand dollars per student statewide. "We really wrote off adequacy, and we ended up with equalized mediocrity," Kirst said in the film.

https://news.stanford.edu/news/2004/...hools-121.html

Old 07-15-2022, 12:45 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
You are absolutely right that I don’t trust “the people.” Most of “the people” are morons. I trust professionals and experts in their field.

When it comes to public education, do you really want the public determining the curriculum? Half the public thinks that 9-11 was an inside job, that the moon landing was faked, and that Donald Trump won the 2020 election. A significant portion of the population believes the universe is controlled by an invisible man with whom they can telepathically communicate by folding their hands and closing their eyes. The flat earth movement is growing.

Forgive me if I don’t trust “the people.”
You understand that politicians are people, right? The govt is run by the same fallible humans you distrust.

Old 07-15-2022, 12:48 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
All the "statements" and "acknowledgements of Native Lands" etc. are unnecessary. It got real trendy for a bit but it will go away after awhile as people realize it's just wasting space on the website pages and not actually doing anything but making people roll their eyes.

Old 07-15-2022, 07:02 PM

216 posts, read 67,222 times
Isn't anti-racism just racism against white people?

Old 07-15-2022, 07:48 PM
bu2

24,104 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Thank goodness some states have common sense, good job DeSantis

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire...sites-86774828
Gleig is an idiot. He is free to say whatever he wants.

Making it department policy is the infringement of academic freedom.

Old 07-15-2022, 07:49 PM
bu2

Quote:
I want actual scientists determining what is taught in science classes. I don’t want local yokels making those decisions.

I want actual historians determining what is taught in history classes. I don’t want the United Daughters of the Confederacy making those decisions.

It’s for good reason that public education is in the hands of professionals, and not in the hands of the idiot public.
I want local people deciding what is taught in history, not Marxist historians from San Francisco and Boston.

Old 07-15-2022, 07:52 PM
bu2

Quote:
You are absolutely right that I don’t trust “the people.” Most of “the people” are morons. I trust professionals and experts in their field.

When it comes to public education, do you really want the public determining the curriculum? Half the public thinks that 9-11 was an inside job, that the moon landing was faked, and that Donald Trump won the 2020 election. A significant portion of the population believes the universe is controlled by an invisible man with whom they can telepathically communicate by folding their hands and closing their eyes. The flat earth movement is growing.

Forgive me if I don’t trust “the people.”
There are a lot of so called "experts" that are morons.

Like the ones who wrote my child's textbook claiming the buffalo were killed off due to climate change and man altering the environment.

They were killed off by hunters in a deliberate effort to starve the Plains Indians. But Indians are not a preferred minority. They rank behind the environment, Blacks and Hispanics.

Old 07-15-2022, 08:37 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
I want actual scientists determining what is taught in science classes. I don’t want local yokels making those decisions.

I want actual historians determining what is taught in history classes. I don’t want the United Daughters of the Confederacy making those decisions.

It’s for good reason that public education is in the hands of professionals, and not in the hands of the idiot public.
Oh really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83b_u5V51U8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUnOAn064fY

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-15-2022 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: two videos per post limit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies