Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 05:10 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,724,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
My answer was relevant. It’s a woman’s choice.
You should really re-read what Chuckity responded to. That poster implied that anyone who decided to keep the baby of a rapist was crazy and that the baby would grow up to be bad because of who their father was. It’s really extreme.

Old 07-17-2022, 05:38 PM

13,388 posts, read 9,933,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
This is what I think of the allegations.
Ok.

Here’s a corroboration of one of the allegations, that a woman whose membrane ruptured at 19 weeks (pre viability) had to travel out of state to have the pregnancy terminated before she potentially went into sepsis.

She ended up flying where she risked going into labour on the plane.

Quote:
'You're at a high chance of going septic or bleeding out,' " she says the doctors told her — a risk of infection or hemorrhage, which could become deadly. " 'And unfortunately, we recommend termination, but we cannot provide you one here in Texas because of this law.' "

In Anna's situation, a patient would normally be offered two options: wait and watch for signs of danger, or terminate the pregnancy, which is usually the safest option and most guaranteed to preserve future fertility.

But under Texas law, abortions are allowed at that stage only for severe medical emergencies, defined as when a patient is "in danger of death or a serious risk of substantial impairment of a major bodily function."
https://www.npr.org/2022/02/28/10835...n-law-6-months

Is she lying?

Old 07-17-2022, 06:37 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,305,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
That’s really extreme. I don’t think most people would support that law.
it's not a law. It's a party platform.

And I'd agree, other than a majority of Idahoans more pissed at CA's ruining their state, I'd be surprised if enough candidates running on that item would get elected.

Old 07-17-2022, 06:42 PM

21,455 posts, read 10,555,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Ok.

Here’s a corroboration of one of the allegations, that a woman whose membrane ruptured at 19 weeks (pre viability) had to travel out of state to have the pregnancy terminated before she potentially went into sepsis.

Is she lying?
I absolutely think she is lying.

Old 07-17-2022, 06:44 PM

17,314 posts, read 14,596,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Agreed.

Old 07-17-2022, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The definition of "life of the mother" is very nebulous. Doctors are, not surprisingly, reluctant to be the test case for prosecution.

Prosecutor "Isn't it true, Doctor Smith, that you could have waited another <arbitrary number of days> to see if the woman whose unborn child you aborted would have had no complications."

Dr "It is always better to perform the abortion before the patient is in serious trouble..."

Prosecutor, interrupting, "That's a yes or no answer type of question. Please answer yes or no"

Dr "I can't answer it that way, because it is not..."

Prosecutor interrupting "Your Honor, please instruct the witness to answer yes or no"
you should write for Hollywood.

Your real world concern would be an extreme "pro-life" HCP getting involved in the diagnoses of the women before the abortion would occur.

Old 07-17-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Entire article well worth a read. Regression to the Stone Age is well underway, clearly.
the only thing of value in the article - and given the Dr Munoz it quotes must be the same article posted again and again - is the bit about 28 women under 23 weeks of pregnancy.

Old 07-17-2022, 08:33 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,465,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Ok.

Is she lying?
As a medic, I think her story is certainly questionable....

if her membrane ruptured, not only she, but the unborn baby (as you said 19 weeks, not yet viable) was in danger... the loss of a non-(not yet)-viable baby is a consequence, a tragic consequence, but the loss of her life, if not treated...is negligent murder..... any medical professional worth his or her salt, would have treated the woman, consoled her on the loss of the baby, but helped her celebrate, the FACT that she is alive, to try again.

so yes I think either she is spinning the story, or she had a crappy quack doctor, who should not be practicing

Old 07-17-2022, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Agreed.
Ok.

Everyone’s lying. Gotcha.

Old 07-17-2022, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
As a medic, I think her story is certainly questionable....

if her membrane ruptured, not only she, but the unborn baby (as you said 19 weeks, not yet viable) was in danger... the loss of a non-(not yet)-viable baby is a consequence, a tragic consequence, but the loss of her life, if not treated...is negligent murder..... any medical professional worth his or her salt, would have treated the woman, consoled her on the loss of the baby, but helped her celebrate, the FACT that she is alive, to try again.

so yes I think either she is spinning the story, or she had a crappy quack doctor, who should not be practicing
In order to “treat” her they had to kill a foetus with a heartbeat. That is a path that’s now very dicey for doctors in some states, even if it’s the right thing to do for the mother.

Her life wasn’t yet in danger, it would have depended on how things progressed.

The medically prudent thing to have done would have been to perform the abortion, clear out and clean up the uterus, and in doing so prevent her from either having to deliver a non viable baby that was going to die or have it die in utero and potentially give her a nasty infection that could have killed her. (That’s my lay person’s interpretation, please correct me if I have it wrong).

But as her life was not in imminent danger, the doctors decided they couldn’t treat her (ie give her an abortion) and she decided to travel to get it done rather than take the risk.

Not on death’s door enough for doctors to be completely certain they were within the statute, but enough that she had to make the choice to travel out of state to get the medically prudent treatment. As a medic, you must surely resonate with such a scenario.

All this while losing a wanted baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.