Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2022, 08:24 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
This is just one of many issues like the little girl who got raped.
Most people support abortion for medical reasons and for rape. The law in Texas is not something that I agree with but it does allow abortion for medical reasons. The hospitals turning women away are confused and need to get it together.

Old 07-16-2022, 08:25 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Says the "pro abortion" medical group that claims to be "objective" on this

A bit of digging and you'll find “…10 years of pro abortion lobbying”
I never take advocacy groups material at face value.

Old 07-16-2022, 08:29 AM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
First, FOX said the hospital was investigating her for HIPAA claims. The hospital did indeed do that as your article attests to. The hospital is now saying that investigation cleared her.

However, based on this statement:

…and the fact that Telemundo found this child I don’t see how there wasn’t a HIPAA violation. There are not a great deal of 10-year old pregnant girls running around as the doctor had to of known, it qualifies as a unique qualifier. The doctor’s statements opened this family to national media attention. The girl’s family is unlikely to have the wherewithal to be able to force anything to be done to the doctor, but make no mistake, the doctor’s blabbing was if nothing else highly unethical. I get it, the good doctor was carrying her banner to battle by telling the story, but in her quest to point out the possible perils of Ohio’s law she was willing to allow her very young patient to be collateral damage. Not okay.

And don’t get me started on the “mistake” with the father’s age. Either the mother lied, and needs to be prosecuted for trying to protect the rapist, or the doctor lied, and needs to be sanctioned for avoiding her mandated reporting of child abuse. Teachers have lost their credentials for less.
All HIPAA violations or suspected violations are investigated by the office of civil rights. So we’ll have to see the final ruling. They’ll determine if anyone would be able to identify the individual based on their age (10 years old) and was pregnant. My guess is it wasn’t a HIPAA violation because a six week pregnancy wouldn’t allow an individual to be identified by that information alone. I mean how would you be able to identify which 10 year old female in Ohio is pregnant?

Old 07-16-2022, 08:40 AM

89,017 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The minute you include the term “total restrictions” that support falls to 10% in that same poll. I, for instance, will never vote for a candidate that supports 100% unrestrictive abortions, I also will not vote for a candidate who supports total restrictions on abortions, either. In the primary I will chose one that proposes keeping abortion legal up to 15-20 weeks over one who supports these uber restrictive heartbeat and other unrealistic abortion laws.
How many states have a total ban on abortion? ZERO. And that's the point. The majority of Americans favor restrictions on abortion, and that's exactly what ALL 50 states' laws are delivering... legal abortion with restrictions.

Old 07-16-2022, 08:44 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,150,103 times
Ectopic pregnancies are potentially life threatening, and termination of the pregnancy would fall under the category of saving the mother's life. I highly doubt that, given the gravity of such a condition, that prosecution would take place of either the mother or doctor.

Old 07-16-2022, 08:53 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I call BS on this one. If you actually read the article ( instead of knee- jerk reacting to the misleading click-bait title of the thread,) the article reports second hand a highly speculative letter from the Texas Medical Association stating that hospitals, health care providers *may* be refusing to treat " ectopic pregnancies and other pregnancy complications, based on possibilities ( again, highly speculative and unverified) that complaints regarding this refusal of care * may* have been filed with the Texas Medical Association. Smoke and mirrors, typical of left wing "reporting".

One more time, ectopic pregnancies are medical, life threatening issues that do NOT fall into the realm of abortions. The embryo implanted in a fallopian tube will develop only to the point ( if that) to where the tube ruptures, causing extensive blood loss, death to the fetus and most likely the mother, especially if she doesn't get help. There is no good ending resulting from an ectopic pregnancy, and health care providers know this, know the devastating consequences of not treating ectopic pregnancies, and would hardly confuse this with a woman wanting a termination of a normally developing pregnancy, regardless of their personal perspectives on the issues of abortion.

Pregnancy complications, not detailed in this article, generally fall into the medical, sometimes sooner or later life threatening to the fetus, and the mother ( say in incomplete spontaneous miscarriages where part of the fetal or placental tissue is retained, death of the fetus in utero) not in the realm of aborting a healthy fetus. Medical providers also recognize conditions in which the mothers' life would be in jeopardy with continuation of a pregnancy, and again, know the outcomes for both the mother and the baby will not be a good one should the pregnancy be allowed to continue for as long as it will.

These do not fall into the realm of elective abortions of healthy fetuses from healthy women, and the left's attempts to conflate elective abortions of healthy pregnancies with true medical emergencies, casting aspersions on the medical professionals who know the difference, is just more misleading baloney put out there in their attempts to inflame the ignorant masses.
correct. it's a lie.

Old 07-16-2022, 10:15 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
They’re going to when it’s their daughter or granddaughter that dies due to reluctance of medical professionals to do the most beneficial and medically expedient procedure.

It’s going to happen. I think people have way underestimated the sheer number of abortions performed that are vital for the health of the mother.
I found one study that said it’s about 3% and another where the women cite medical reasons at about 12% but that’s subjective. True medical emergencies impacting either baby or mother before the third trimester are minimal. The majority of complications arise closer to term or during labor or the first days postpartum (hemorrhage, infection).

Old 07-16-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
These stories will keep coming out and really damage the GOP this fall. The reason R v W happened was in part because of this sort of thing.

Look the SCOTUS was correct to send this back to the states. I don't blame them. But these backwards states who are banning abortion will feel backlash. What could have been a perfect storm for the GOP in November may not happen.
Not a single one has banned abortion. And I’ve not heard about any that intend to. They are rightly limiting it, nothing more or less. This is the kind of disinformation that needs to stop.

Old 07-16-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Yes, my sister in law almost died from a ruptured ectopic pregnancy. The local hospital was going to let her die. They just gave her IV fluids and was going to send her home. She was told to just take Tylenol. The family took her to another hospital right away and they rushed her to emergency surgery as soon as they saw her when she came through the door. She actually crashed on the table and had to be brought back. Took her weeks to recover and she couldn't have more children.

The hospital that was going to let her die told her that she just had female troubles and didn't tell her what the problem was. They acted like she was a bother to them.

It doesn't take an abortion ban for some hospitals to let someone die. Some people are evil.
Losing one tube does not make one infertile. I can’t comment on the rest of the situation without details that I doubt you are privy to.

Old 07-16-2022, 12:23 PM

824 posts, read 713,393 times
https://apnews.com/article/abortion-...8837d394199033

I don’t know why people are undermining the issue. These new abortion laws are causing a medical care crises throughout the country.

It doesn’t matter that these laws often have provisions for protecting the life of the mother because how do you actually decide if the life of the mother is in danger?

What a doctor thinks is a medically necessary isn’t exactly what a county prosecutor would think is medically necessary so often times these hospitals are now being forced to allow women to start actively dying before doing anything even though them dying was the end result as pointed out in the above article.

People are denying this right now just like they denied and lied about the 10 year old being told by the state of Ohio to keep her baby. I heard over and over again when that story broke that it was all a Democrat plot and the girl probably didn’t exist. And everything about that story was pretty much true and the man who committed the heinous act was arrested. I also fail to follow the conservative logic concerning the arrest of the child predator and how the doctor who brought her to indiana should be prosecuted for failing to report abuse. It’s fairly unclear what exactly was reported the guy who did this is in jail right now so it was reported in some capacity but beyond all of that she was still pregnant despite the person being arrested. She still needed an abortion.

If a judge is willing to tell a 10 year old girl to go through the trauma and pain of childbirth, you can bet there are people in the justice systems of these anti-choice states that are willing to prosecute doctors for medically necessary care because it didn’t fit that prosecutors idea of what is medically necessary or not.

Last edited by Northeasterner1970; 07-16-2022 at 12:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies