Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2022, 11:12 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
If she's able to live a normal life with only "crying into a pillow" or "jogging" as interventions, I'd suggest considering that bipolar disorder was a misdiagnosis. Generally speaking, people diagnosed as children or teens should be reevaluated as adults, given the difficulty of assessing a developing person.
I agree. My daughter has bipolar, but she is a very intelligent woman who would never refer to her meds as "Happy Pills". She takes her health care very seriously and monitors herself for signs of depression or mania and seeks her physician's care when she needs a medication adjustment. I don't believe she is on any SSRIs, however.

Old 07-25-2022, 11:23 AM

3,113 posts, read 938,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree. My daughter has bipolar, but she is a very intelligent woman who would never refer to her meds as "Happy Pills". She takes her health care very seriously and monitors herself for signs of depression or mania and seeks her physician's care when she needs a medication adjustment. I don't believe she is on any SSRIs, however.
I've heard the term "happy pills" a lot in the UK, even professionals using the term. May just be a difference in colloquial used slang ->

Quote:
Why millions of women are hooked on the happy pills
https://www.theguardian.com/theobser.../observerfocus

^^^ A headline from the Guardian.

I wouldn't judge anyone's intelligence based on their use of that term!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 11:47 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My daughter was diagnosed BiPolar at 21. She was given Paxil. One night she went down into the kitchen, got out a knife, and was about to slit her wrists. In a moment of clarity, she thought, and I quote her, "I am taking Happy Pills, so why do I want to kill myself? She dumped all the pills in the garbage can. This was 20 years ago, and she stopped taking any medication for her depression. I asked her what she does. Go jogging or have a good cry into my pillow. Has no more thoughts of suicide.

Listen to those Warnings on TV. "Thoughts of Suicide" "Not Recommended for People Under 25". Pharms did not know this 20 years ago?

Over Medication in the US? Oh, yeah, and not just for Depression. Must be some medication "right for you".
I wonder if she really has ADHD. I see a lot of stories of women who get diagnosed with bipolar but really have ADHD. She may not, though, of course, but possible.

I didn't get diagnosed until my late 30s. It happens to a lot of women. I had a lot of depression and anxiety from years of feeling like a chaotic failure. Now I understand
why my life went how it did. It's not magically better but I can have a direction to work on and have been.

I was on Wellbutrin for a while. The doctor wanted to try that first off-label for my ADHD. I finally stopped it eventually when I realized I was just so irritable all the time.

Now I just take Adderall. I love it. It doesn't make me happy and peppy or anything. It quiets my noisy brain. I can take it and take a nap. It's just nice to think of something I need to do and actually be able to start it and get things done. It's nice to go shopping and not totally buy everything out of impulse.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:22 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
I don’t need a reference for common sense. 1/4 is a made up figure .

If multiple scientific research and university studies don't mean anything to you, then you don't have the ability to reason with facts or qualified realities but instead cling to rigid views that are fraught with limited cognitive abilities.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:33 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,497 times
Anecdata are only that of course, but, I take psychotropic meds for anxiety. I went from being afraid to do many of the things needed to keep my affairs in order to not having that level of anxiety. Although I was never diagnosed with depression, I didn't particularly like living, but after I was properly medicated I became grateful for the gift of life. Pre proper meds I spent much of the time feeling vaguely ill, but thereafter I felt mostly normal. (I've had some physical health problems recently, but nothing out of the ordinary for someone my age.) I had a couple of crises in about a 15-year period where all of my gains reversed themselves, but lifestyle and medication adjustments resolved those problems quickly.

My husband has much more severe mental health challenges than I do. Things were terrible for him for several decades. He still doesn't feel great, but since he found a good psychiatrist, he's made incredible progress and went from disability to running his own business.

IMO, gains in psychiatry in the past 40 years have been miraculous. I'm awed by the QOL improvements they've made possible for us. Hypothetically, if my meds shaved a decade off my life, maybe even more, it would be worth it. Being afraid of mostly all strangers and many ordinary and essential activities and feeling useless and unable to cope was all really lousy.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
If multiple scientific research and university studies don't mean anything to you, then you don't have the ability to reason with facts or qualified realities but instead cling to rigid views that are fraught with limited cognitive abilities.
There is no science in classifying if one has a mental disorder or not. It’s all BS subjective questionnaires. Depending on how psychiatrists are feeling, they just make it up as they go.

There is no objective/scientific measure you have depression. First learn what science means before making lofty claims. Hint: just because a figure is published in a medical journal, university website, or even scientific journal doesn’t make it scientific.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:42 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
I’m very excited about the role that psychedelics will play in the future of mental illness. Particularly MDMA Assisted Psychotherapy for PTSD and psychedelic mushrooms for depression. If interested a great site to get info is MAPS.ORG

Old 07-25-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I’m very excited about the role that psychedelics will play in the future of mental illness. Particularly MDMA Assisted Psychotherapy for PTSD and psychedelic mushrooms for depression. If interested a great site to get info is MAPS.ORG
Or do what our parents did when depressed- just drank alcohol. Seemed to work better than SSRIs. I didn’t hear about kids going on rampages back in my day.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:47 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
There is no science in classifying if one has a mental disorder or not. It’s all BS subjective questionnaires. Depending on how psychiatrists are feeling, they just make it up as they go.

There is no objective/scientific measure you have depression. First learn what science means before making lofty claims. Hint: just because a figure is published in a medical journal, university website, or even scientific journal doesn’t make it scientific.
Sorry but you don't know squat about it. You should be grateful that you don't know first hand what mental issues are like.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:48 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
Anecdata are only that of course, but, I take psychotropic meds for anxiety. I went from being afraid to do many of the things needed to keep my affairs in order to not having that level of anxiety. Although I was never diagnosed with depression, I didn't particularly like living, but after I was properly medicated I became grateful for the gift of life. Pre proper meds I spent much of the time feeling vaguely ill, but thereafter I felt mostly normal. (I've had some physical health problems recently, but nothing out of the ordinary for someone my age.) I had a couple of crises in about a 15-year period where all of my gains reversed themselves, but lifestyle and medication adjustments resolved those problems quickly.

My husband has much more severe mental health challenges than I do. Things were terrible for him for several decades. He still doesn't feel great, but since he found a good psychiatrist, he's made incredible progress and went from disability to running his own business.

IMO, gains in psychiatry in the past 40 years have been miraculous. I'm awed by the QOL improvements they've made possible for us. Hypothetically, if my meds shaved a decade off my life, maybe even more, it would be worth it. Being afraid of mostly all strangers and many ordinary and essential activities and feeling useless and unable to cope was all really lousy.
I wish you both continued good health, mental and physical . Thanks for sharing you personal story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies