Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2022, 09:27 AM

2,953 posts, read 992,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
That’s another good possibility. As if we didn’t have enough supply chain issues. I am still looking for chunky peanut butter, going on 10 months.
If I find out chunky peanut butter is made in China I'm going to shoot myself. They've probably been infusing it with lead and fentanyl.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:29 AM

962 posts, read 540,837 times
While it is refreshing to hear some people critical of the Chinese response in this thread, it bears repeating that the decision to include a stop in Taiwan during Speaker Pelosi's Asia trip is popular with conservatives.

Link

Because of course it is! Trump correctly identified China as the number one threat to America. China is facing a moment of weakness internally. We are now taking seriously the threat China poses, and are responding with legislation to remain competitive, should China try to invade Taiwan (a critical ally). I understand the reflex is to go all polemical every time a Democrat opens their mouth, but people of all parties are supporting this move.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:31 AM

962 posts, read 540,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
I wouldn't go. Ukraine and Russia is bad enough. What's the purpose of this? China and Taiwan is an internal dispute. We shouldn't go to war because of that.
China and Hong Kong is an internal dispute. Taiwan is NOT China. Do NOT fall for Chinese propaganda that suggests otherwise.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:33 AM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Why ? There was no reason for Pelosi to go, why would there be a reason for a GOPer to go ?
Since when do we know all the ins n outs of diplomats travels?

Old 08-02-2022, 09:34 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
China and Hong Kong is an internal dispute. Taiwan is NOT China. Do NOT fall for Chinese propaganda that suggests otherwise.
Well, Taiwan is not an independent country according to the UN. And since the PRC is the only China recognized by the UN, Taiwan is dependent on and part of the PRC, obviously.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:35 AM

6,971 posts, read 2,701,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Since when do we know all the ins n outs of diplomats travels?
Pelosi is not a diplomat. She is not representing anyone but herself.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:35 AM

2,953 posts, read 992,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
I wouldn't go. Ukraine and Russia is bad enough. What's the purpose of this? China and Taiwan is an internal dispute. We shouldn't go to war because of that.
Yes we should. 60% of the world's cutting edge sub-16nm chips are fabricated in Taiwan. Both China and the US are almost entirely dependent on Taiwan's semiconductor foundries. It's maybe the most valuable piece of real estate in the world. Semiconductors may be more vital to the world's economy and security (read militaries) than oil.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates...n-china-chips/

Old 08-02-2022, 09:36 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
While it is refreshing to hear some people critical of the Chinese response in this thread, it bears repeating that the decision to include a stop in Taiwan during Speaker Pelosi's Asia trip is popular with conservatives.

Link

Because of course it is! Trump correctly identified China as the number one threat to America. China is facing a moment of weakness internally. We are now taking seriously the threat China poses, and are responding with legislation to remain competitive, should China try to invade Taiwan (a critical ally). I understand the reflex is to go all polemical every time a Democrat opens their mouth, but people of all parties are supporting this move.
Explain how China is a threat to the West? I never got that part, they don't have military bases outside their territory, they don't care what political and other systems we have, they don't try to force theirs on us, etc. So, how exactly is China a threat?

Old 08-02-2022, 09:37 AM

10,845 posts, read 4,525,381 times
well strategy wise, its not the WORST choice to let her go.

First off, its no more an insult to the chinese than when Newt went, and none of you objected THEN.

Second, when Russia invaded Ukr, the ukrain war thread had 20 pages on how taiwan was next, right after the games.

It wasnt.

so....unlike the token interest the US has shown in Ukr, by going there the signal to the war-inexperienced chinese is: 'America might actually put some real money into this'

Why would china, care about their version of PR any more than we do ours. That it competes effectively on the world economic stage? aint no reason china could not overpower and eclipse by far the manufacturing of taiwan. they just willfully choose not to. thats their problem.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:40 AM

4,297 posts, read 1,555,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
...the US are almost entirely dependent on Taiwan's semiconductor foundries.
Perhaps we should work on not being entirely dependent on them? Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies