Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2022, 01:12 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I’m surprised Pelosi went to Taiwan, because there was no reason to go there in the first place.

I’m also surprised China made such a huge deal about it, and then did nothing when it actually happened.

Both sides look stupid, weak, and ineffectual.

Lastly, I’m not convinced that Biden would’ve done anything if they shot the plane down. What could he have done? Start WWIII over visiting a country that we don’t recognize in the first place and probably wouldn’t support anymore than what we do in Ukraine in the event of an invasion?
It's obvious. Pelosi goes to Taiwan to show how strong the Democrats are, standing up to China. Biden tells her not to go to soften the blow and not actually **** off China. I'm sure he'll call up Xi and say something like "I asked her not to go, and as you know, she's not the formal representative of the USA..."

It's election season. Everything is for show.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:14 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
She went!? I can't believe it.
I'm not sure how to feel about this. I can't stand Nancy Pelosi.

But she didn't cave to the bully's threats and intimidation like many of our leaders would have, like Biden wanted her to.

Pelosi just spit in the roaring lion's eye. Way to go, girl! My heart has nothing for respect for her right now. Hopefully, it'll wear off in time. I really, really can't stand her.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:18 PM

5,933 posts, read 2,760,378 times
I wonder if there's going to be an "accident" from one of China's live fire military drills in the South China Sea?

Old 08-02-2022, 01:22 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
It's obvious. Pelosi goes to Taiwan to show how strong the Democrats are, standing up to China. Biden tells her not to go to soften the blow and not actually **** off China. I'm sure he'll call up Xi and say something like "I asked her not to go, and as you know, she's not the formal representative of the USA..."

It's election season. Everything is for show.
People keep saying she's not a US Representative, but she is in this case. I mean, she's the "speaker of the House" and she stopped on official diplomatic business under heavy guard of the US military. I don't think we can say this was some type of personal trip.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 08-02-2022, 01:32 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Shortness way to a war who can defeat us I've ever seen.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:48 PM

7,336 posts, read 3,812,806 times
I cannot believe how many here would have China dictate US foreign policy. Pathetic.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:49 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
She went!? I can't believe it.
I'm not sure how to feel about this. I can't stand Nancy Pelosi.

But she didn't cave to the bully's threats and intimidation like many of our leaders would have, like Biden wanted her to.

Pelosi just spit in the roaring lion's eye. Way to go, girl! My heart has nothing for respect for her right now. Hopefully, it'll wear off in time. I really, really can't stand her.

This is how I feel too. I despise her but the moment China issued threats against us I started rooting for her.

The old bat has more cojones than quite a few men, including a few republicans who are **** scared of the paper china's might. Good for her.

Old 08-02-2022, 02:03 PM

7,336 posts, read 3,812,806 times
Did the US go to war with the USSR when they supplied North Korea and North Vietnam with weapons, including missiles and aircraft?

How about when they supplied pilots as well? Do people here know that Russian pilots flew North Korean and North Vietnam flagged aircraft against American pilots in the Korean and Vietnam Wars, respectively?

Did we go to war with Russia then?

The people saying we shouldn't provide weapons to Ukraine for fear of Russia or prosecute our foreign policy in our best interests for fear of China need to open a history book.

Old 08-02-2022, 02:18 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
I cannot believe how many here would have China dictate US foreign policy. Pathetic.
I generally share the same sentiment about not letting other nations dictate our foreign policy.

Problem here is that the official foreign policy position of the US government is that the PRC is the sole representative of China Another problem is that the speaker of the house doesn't run US foreign policy; the president does, and Biden (well, his handlers, but still) has already expressed his disapproval of Pelosi going over there.

Pelosi was reckless here. And this will have repercussions that aren't being discussed now.

Old 08-02-2022, 02:20 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Did the US go to war with the USSR when they supplied North Korea and North Vietnam with weapons, including missiles and aircraft?

How about when they supplied pilots as well? Do people here know that Russian pilots flew North Korean and North Vietnam flagged aircraft against American pilots in the Korean and Vietnam Wars, respectively?

Did we go to war with Russia then?

The people saying we shouldn't provide weapons to Ukraine for fear of Russia or prosecute our foreign policy in our best interests for fear of China need to open a history book.
Nope, but how many US servicemen were killed as a result of those weapons being supplied to North Korea and North Vietnam? I'll wait. This isn't a game. Lives are at stake here. It's always interesting to see those old and ineligible to serve in our military should the need arise behaving recklessly in situations like these.

Like it or not, Taiwan and China aren't the US's battle. We have enough problems at home to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies