Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 10:40 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massiveshibe View Post
Freedom to do what? Freedom to be a druggie?
I have never understood this argument when Alcohol and Cigarettes are legal and readily available.

thousands of people die each year for alcohol related situations and/or cancer. mean while more than 50% admit to using marijuana as an adult, about 13% use it on a regular basis, and yet, deaths dont even exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 11:54 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why are the republicans against it.... maybe they bought into the crap that the liberals sold in the 30's, when liberal democrats outlawed it

That's it and many Republicans still do. All Oklahomans in Congress are opposed to legalizing marijuana. They have no interest in representing the majority of Oklahomans on that issue. At least one of them, Sen. Lankford, thinks medical marijuana should only be approved by the FDA and made available as prescriptions from drug stores.

At least Oklahomans will probably be able to vote yes to legalize rec marijuana in November.

Old 07-22-2022, 04:32 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
They have been introducing stuff like this for years. It never goes anywhere.
Blame the republicans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
This is one issue I disagree with older republicans about. They have reefer madness on the brain and there's no shaking it out of them. This type of bill will only pass after a certain generation of religious conservatives ages out of the process.
The same ones screaming about banning contraceptives I'd imagine. As nutty as the woke left.. well, not quite.

Old 07-22-2022, 04:45 AM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That's it and many Republicans still do. All Oklahomans in Congress are opposed to legalizing marijuana. They have no interest in representing the majority of Oklahomans on that issue. At least one of them, Sen. Lankford, thinks medical marijuana should only be approved by the FDA and made available as prescriptions from drug stores.

At least Oklahomans will probably be able to vote yes to legalize rec marijuana in November.

I think there are two "questions" on the November ballot. Any idea if they are likely to pass?

Old 07-22-2022, 04:48 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
I'm on board with this one. We have way bigger problems than MJ use.

Old 07-22-2022, 04:52 AM

7,369 posts, read 3,533,397 times
conservative here and all for it. unlike crack which is processed by humans, marijuana is a plant that God put on earth for us to use. many studies have proven the effectiveness of marijuana and it has been used by many cultures before it was made illegal. what a waste of prison resources and taxpayer money locking people up for a plant God clearly wanted us to use. Fellow conservatives: our country is in great danger from the left and their China empowering, marxist agenda. Marijuana is very popular with a majority of people. Embrace Liberty and let the concept of Representative Government allow states to decide whether their constituents want it legal
or not. This is not the hill to die on.

Old 07-22-2022, 05:49 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Good, people should be able to do whatever drugs they want, IMHO.

Old 07-22-2022, 07:04 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
I'm ok with states having their own rules on drugs. However, the problem is, states that legalize drugs will then request for Federal aid to deal with the impacts of drug use and decline in their cities. Hello CA, with our drug dens and rampant homelessness on open display in every city.

Also it always starts as an innocent campaign, like "medical marijuana", then that evolved to "recreational marijuana", now some states like Colorado are moving on to legalizing mushrooms. Let's be honest, in the future the barrier will be pushed further to other illegal substances.
IMO, no "natural" substance should be "banned". MJ is a plant. Opium is from a plant. Coca is from a plant. Shrooms are of course a mushroom

The War on Drugs is a complete and utter failure...maybe its time to just legalize everything and regulate and tax it...you'd have far less #s of incarcerated people filling our prisons because of drug offenses...you'd weaken the Drug Cartels, and you'd create more jobs and increased tax revenues.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:19 AM

1,263 posts, read 561,998 times
Legalize it, collect the tax money, like several states are doing already.

I do see part of the concern being the lack of availability of accurate testing for recent use. With many other substances, a urine or blood or even breath test can detect recent use. With MJ, we currently rely on reasonable suspicion or field sobriety testing. It is much easier for an employer to take action when someone fails an alcohol screen and has a number to cite in a report, as opposed to articulating a possible usage for MJ.

Pure speculation here: but I would predict that in areas where use is legal and available, we will see lower instance of individuals self-medicating with alcohol and pills or heroin. I predict a similar decline in employees needing to take advantage of employee assistance programs related to abuse of those substances as well. We would obviously be a few years out from a large enough sample size for a real interpretation.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:23 AM

6,105 posts, read 2,727,097 times
I think it should be left to the states its legal here in AZ which is surprising. it's horrible now you can smell it on each street corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies