Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2022, 11:14 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,305,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
It's very different than alcohol

I can can have a drink without getting drunk.

You can't take even a single hit of today's pot and not get high.

And I say that as a former stoner.
it depends on your definition of drunk and high.

Will one feel the effects of a single dose of THC? Yes. But one may very well not be legally-impaired, which is the standard that needs to be determined.

I wonder what states where it's legalized for rec use have done. You'd think at the Federal level, we'd study what's gone right and wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2022, 11:14 AM

16,909 posts, read 10,578,652 times
The Daily Mail just had an article showing how car crashes and child cannabis poisoning increased in every state after legalization.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 07-23-2022, 11:15 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,749,152 times
Quote:
As a Conservative, I have no idea what the GOP's problem with legalization is.
I think the problem lies with, once a state legalizes a substance that then has unintended consequences on the local life/society within that state, the state then requests Federal aid to "fix" the problem that they created.

Case in point, California and the rampant homelessness is largely from the liberalization of drug enforcement laws. It's a self-inflicted wound. The police no longer arrest people for being high in public, using in public. Remember when public intoxication was an arrest-able offense? The local governments provide shoot up centers. You're going to have Representatives in other states not wanting to shell out billions of $ in drug rehab/homeless programs that will largely be directed towards big CA cities for example.

Remember, this is all self-inflicted and there are consequences.

Old 07-23-2022, 11:23 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,305,508 times
Quote:
As a Conservative, I have no idea what the GOP's problem with legalization is.
well, the linked article doesn't mention a single Republican, so it's kind of hard to say. Same for the OP.

But again, as just a snippet from the article:

Quote:
But Hawkins (head of the Cannabis Council, ie pro-pot) said that Congress should move now on more incremental cannabis legislation.

“The ambitious and sweeping nature of the bill should not distract Congress from advancing limited yet critical reforms, such as expungement and the SAFE Banking Act, that are immediately within reach,” he said.
*The Dems won't just remove Federal ban/decriminalize marijuana.

*They won't just allow the businesses to get Bank accounts from national Banks (at a minimum, it's probably ANY FDIC bank)

*they won't just go into expungement for possession or "small dealers"

UNLESS

*they get the "sweeping changes"

And then, they'll paint the R's as blocking their bill when at least 10 R's (and possibly many more) would agree to one or more of the first 3 provisions.

Old 07-23-2022, 11:28 AM

456 posts, read 304,401 times
Doesn't matter to me if they're drunk or stoned, as long as they don't hurt anybody else, they're welcome to kill themselves off using whatever poison they like.

I don't care what they do to themselves, but they always take some innocent with them when they go down whether it's family or some stranger they hit with their vehicle or train like that one stoner engineer did.
Kill themselves, fine, leave the rest of us out of it.

Old 07-23-2022, 11:31 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,541,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am big on states rights. I am fine with states deciding abortion even though I am pro-choice. This bill would decriminalize weed on a federal level and leave it up to the states to decide if its legal or not. Yet most Senate Republicans are against it. Why?
Because the "war on drugs" brought ruination to vast numbers of Americans, for starters. Then there's the fact that we are "Americans" not Washingtonians, or Texans, or Floridians and should have the same freedoms that all people do.

Are you aware that marijuana was made illegal because it gave local districts the ability to arrest black musicians that were traveling across the country? Prior to that, most people just looked at it as an amusement.

Seriously, when are people going to get their noses out of everyone else's business and devote their time and effort to issues that are an actual problem, like how we are trashing up the planet with synthetic materials (such as styrofoam, which is now being found in human muscle tissue) that with all the "convenience packaging" will be a plague on whatever future our young may have?

Old 07-23-2022, 11:36 AM

10,439 posts, read 4,027,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
I think the problem lies with, once a state legalizes a substance that then has unintended consequences on the local life/society within that state, the state then requests Federal aid to "fix" the problem that they created.

Case in point, California and the rampant homelessness is largely from the liberalization of drug enforcement laws. It's a self-inflicted wound. The police no longer arrest people for being high in public, using in public. Remember when public intoxication was an arrest-able offense? The local governments provide shoot up centers. You're going to have Representatives in other states not wanting to shell out billions of $ in drug rehab/homeless programs that will largely be directed towards big CA cities for example.

Remember, this is all self-inflicted and there are consequences.
Eh, I highly doubt the homelessness in CA is due to drugs. It's probably a combination of the skyrocketing cost of housing and rent, and the elimination of psychiatric clinics. Most people who are homeless are not right in the head and they used to be able to go to clinics to get treatment.

Old 07-23-2022, 11:38 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,749,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Eh, I highly doubt the homelessness in CA is due to drugs. It's probably a combination of the skyrocketing cost of housing and rent, and the elimination of psychiatric clinics. Most people who are homeless are not right in the head and they used to be able to go to clinics to get treatment.
Wrong, it's almost entirely attributed to addiction. There are plenty of affordable options to live, even in CA. You can work at McDonalds and afford to rent a room even in the expensive coastal cities. There are shelters for those that seek a bed.

Old 07-23-2022, 11:48 AM

15,522 posts, read 10,485,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Have any states that have legal weed tried that? No one is trying to make anything other than pot legal
Denver made magic mushrooms legal, now the entire state is voting on it next fall.

Old 07-23-2022, 11:52 AM

15,522 posts, read 10,485,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBear View Post
Doesn't matter to me if they're drunk or stoned, as long as they don't hurt anybody else, they're welcome to kill themselves off using whatever poison they like.

I don't care what they do to themselves, but they always take some innocent with them when they go down whether it's family or some stranger they hit with their vehicle or train like that one stoner engineer did.
Kill themselves, fine, leave the rest of us out of it.
My objection has boiled down to entirely too much drama surrounding recreational use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies