Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 07:59 AM

6,984 posts, read 2,705,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
Its one thing to decriminalize it...but the other side of the coin is the people who want to do it in the first place. Who the frig raised these people?
If you live on the streets and every shop has a sign that reads "No public restroom", where are people supposed to relieve themselves. I can imagine going in the woods or an alley, but civilized people will clean up after themselves.

Last edited by Annandale_Man; 07-22-2022 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2022, 08:04 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Clearly the fact it was a crime before did little to stop people from committing those crimes.

I'm sure there is a bureaucratic reason for this action, not sure the shop owners are thinking this one through.

How often has someone been charge with these crimes? How do they catch people?

And the one owner quotes about having to pick up the mess implies that before when it was a crime they had to pick it up anyways --so what does it being a crime do?
Exactly. If one is not caught in the act, there is no arrest. Wouldn't hurt if shopkeepers allowed the public to use their restrooms either. Very often that is not allowed in small shops.

As to the complaint about litter... maybe the city or a shop owner could put out some convenient trash cans.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:08 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Exactly. If one is not caught in the act, there is no arrest. Wouldn't hurt if shopkeepers allowed the public to use their restrooms either. Very often that is not allowed in small shops.

As to the complaint about litter... maybe the city or a shop owner could put out some convenient trash cans.
If one is caught in the act they are ticketed. It’s a deterrent. It won’t stop everyone but it’ better than doing nothing.

I’ve seen trash cans completely surrounded by trash on public streets taken over as homeless camps. I wish it was that simple.

Cities should provide public restrooms rather then expect shopkeepers to allow anyone and everyone in to use theirs.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:09 AM

17,380 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
If you live on the streets and every shop has a sign that reads "No public restroom", where are people supposed to relieve themselves. I can imagine going in the woods or an ally, but civilized people will clean up after themselves.
Flashers are going to have a field day with their new "right". Imagine walking down a city sidewalk stepping over human feces and seeing creeps whipping out their willies as they eye you lasciviously - they have the "right" to do that now.

Imagine running inside a grocery store with your children only to return to the parking lot to find some weirdo with his/her pants down around their ankles "relieving" himself or herself right next to your minivan door.

No one with any decency is going to subject themselves to that. Florida and Tennessee are about to get even more transplants.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:09 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Um, no? Can't really recall ever p-ing in an alleyway in all my years of bar hopping.
Only a guy might think that way.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:10 AM

1,108 posts, read 528,882 times
what's the problem with pissing and taking a dump in public? SF allows it and they even give needles to the addicts. How are the kids going to learn what to do when there college degrees in art or basket weaving dont pan out?

Old 07-22-2022, 08:11 AM

1,690 posts, read 612,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
If you live on the streets and every shop has a sign that reads "No public restroom", where are people supposed to relieve themselves. I can imagine going in the woods or an ally, but civilized people will clean up after themselves.
Not our problem. Why is that hard to understand? They can plan their day around bathroom breaks at shelters like the rest of us do. If I know I am going out and will not be near a restroom, I go before I go out. Maybe some of these people should have thought about their consequences of their actions before getting hooked on drugs. If they are mentally ill, they belong in an institution.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:12 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,150,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think that the politicians who decriminalized public urination and defecation should have to be the one’s to clean it up.
Amen!
Also, what's stopping people from exercising other human urges out in the street?
When anything goes, eventually, everything will go. Our country is in the toilet - literally and figuratively.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:23 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
No one’s ever been on a walk home from a bar and had to pi$$ in an alleyway? Should people get criminal charges for that? Being homeless sucks too. You can’t just make homelessness illegal and expect the problem to go away. People need proper mental health and addiction support and access to affordable housing and a living wage
So you’re in favor of public pooping and peeing? How tolerantly insane you are.

Yes, I think many of us have taken a quick pee in an alley behind a dumpster at 1:00am, being very careful not to be noticed. And I can count how many times over my life perhaps a few instances. That’s a far different thing than people pooping all over the place without consequence.

How can we possibly expect to maintain a civil society when we have crazy people demanding the right to poop on city sidewalks? It’s rude and obnoxious to allow your dog to do that, but you think it’s ok for humans to do it now?

God Almighty, what the hell is wrong with you people?

Old 07-22-2022, 08:25 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
So you’re in favor of public pooping and peeing? How tolerantly insane you are.

Yes, I think many of us have taken a quick pee in an alley behind a dumpster at 1:00am, being very careful not to be noticed. And I can count how many times over my life perhaps a few instances. That’s a far different thing than people pooping all over the place without consequence.

How can we possibly expect to maintain a civil society when we have crazy people demanding the right to poop on city sidewalks? It’s rude and obnoxious to allow your dog to do that, but you think it’s ok for humans to do it now?

God Almighty, what the hell is wrong with you people?
There is nothing suggesting people are pooping all over the place.

One shop owner had a story of the one time she found poop in the alley and the landlord refused to pick it up so she had to -- because there wasn't an ambassador....lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies