Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 11:33 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,664,120 times

Advertisements

I think the economy, the covid response, the boarder situation, etc. are much more pressing issues for many. I support the right to an abortion but it’s low on my list of priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2022, 11:44 AM

16,955 posts, read 12,525,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I spent about 2 hours on reddit and could not believe it. It is scary that there are so many brainwashed libs out there.
Confirmation bias. Reddit mostly leans strongly left. Just like Fox leans right.

Old 07-22-2022, 11:51 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,293,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
I think the overturn of RVW will energize the Dem base and prob some moderate Republicans to vote against Republicans.
the one thing we can rely on is that Republican voters are obviously smarter politically than Dem voters.

The moderate Republicans know that voting for a R Senator or House Rep does not mean anything about the abortion debate now.

Now, this IS where the "dog catches the tire" comes in, because some rabid anti-abortion R's have gotten elected at the state level, have joined R-held legislatures, and in some cases have gotten extremely stringent laws passed ... under the guise they'd be struck down under Roe and so it was just posturing.

But now ... they have to decide whether an issue that can ACTUALLY become law if voters do or don't want them to push the envelope against abortion.

Old 07-22-2022, 11:53 AM

21,407 posts, read 10,493,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
I think the overturn of RVW will energize the Dem base and prob some moderate Republicans to vote against Republicans.
I’m a moderate Republican and I think accepting total economic destruction is too high a price to pay to keep the right to kill babies.

Old 07-22-2022, 01:27 PM

5,292 posts, read 3,165,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryvete View Post
Abortion is the be-all-end-all? Really? Killing a developing child in the womb takes precedence over the crumbling economy or the border or the two tiered justice system or this insane push towards legalised normalisation of transgenderism or the out of control crime rates or the deconstruction of our energy sector? You can't help but contemplate how odd some peoples' perspectives on life are. I'm sorry but the suggestion of it is ridiculous.
You kind of make your own point. We have issues with the economy, illegal immigration, crime, and energy yet the people on the extreme right thought it worthwhile to go after abortion. With our taxpayer dollars.

It's not that abortion is the be-all-end-all, it's that from a group that preaches "smaller government, lower taxes, lower regulations" they have no problem spending taxpayer dollars and implementing regulations on an issue that has ZERO effect on the country as a whole.

And who's going to police this? The "small government, lower taxes" folks?

This country needs to get its priorities straight and take care of the big stuff and worry about the small stuff later.

Old 07-22-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I stand corrected regarding the polling data. OP indicated only D vs. R and the first few lines of the link mentioned "partisan".

My second line stands - Independents are going to make/break the election. This is the polling that needs to be done - whether independents are motivated due to Roe v. Wade, etc.

I'm an independent, I have no "variant of the DNC narrative". The DNC's narrative is just as toxic as the RNC's narrative.
you might like this version of the poll, which is only registered voters. https://law.marquette.edu/poll/wp-co...oplinesRV.html

unfortunately, on the topic of abortion they don't *quite* ask the exact right ? Scroll down to section K

The "harshest" question is "total ban with medical exceptions" (which is 17%) instead of just "total ban". We do get the generic "legal in all cases" at 29% and "illegal in all" at 8%.

the converse might be the last ? "No restrictions at all" (after asking about 6 week, 15 week, 6 month) which draws 21%.

so, if I were ONLY considering this poll, I would say the nutty (21%) Dems are more than twice the nutty Pubs (8%)

Old 07-22-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I think that most people would be fine with a 20 week abortion restriction.
it all depends on how you ask the ?

Ask by trimester? the # is about 80% for the first, and drops significantly after that.

Ask by week? obviously people get confused because your 20 weeks indeed still polls well, even though only 13-14 weeks is the first trimester. Look at the manufactured angst over FL's 15 week cutoff, with medical exceptions after that

Old 07-22-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
You kind of make your own point. We have issues with the economy, illegal immigration, crime, and energy yet the people on the extreme right thought it worthwhile to go after abortion. With our taxpayer dollars.

It's not that abortion is the be-all-end-all, it's that from a group that preaches "smaller government, lower taxes, lower regulations" they have no problem spending taxpayer dollars and implementing regulations on an issue that has ZERO effect on the country as a whole.

This country needs to get its priorities straight and take care of the big stuff and worry about the small stuff later.
the Federal government just got out of the abortion racket. You're saying the money spent by the Feds budget on SCOTUS for some period of time on Dobbs?

however, I completely agree that post was a classic "how can anyone think about these things differently from me???"

Old 07-22-2022, 03:57 PM

1,333 posts, read 465,700 times
Quote:

You mean besides the ethics and humanity of these unborn children which is apparently a debatable argument being waged throughout this country? I don't think a lesser governmental interventionist stance is equivalent to no government at all and on this issue you've had had it taken beyond the point of the action itself to Planned Parenthood haggling over prices for aborted fetal parts. Dobbs v Jackson Women's Health Organization was about the constitutionality of abortions or lack of guarantee of it in the founding documents. The case was already circulating through the lower courts back in 2018.

Old 07-22-2022, 05:37 PM

25,422 posts, read 9,735,287 times
The majority wanted Roe v. Wade left in place. Don't know if its overturning will make a difference in November or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies