Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2022, 12:56 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I believe several of the participants were banned from the park...which brings me to the most astonishing part of the report I heard. It said that the family was booked for a 17 day vacation there. Who can afford 17 days at Disney World?
I don't know how much that would cost. I suspect that whoever paid for it might have spent quite some time saving up for it. I estimate that for a family of 5, a Disney resort vacation would cost about $7000 for 17 days. That's 3 kids, 2 adults. If both adults split the cost, it's $3500 each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
I can imagine how this affects non-blacks. I'm not sure anybody decides how they feel about black people on the basis of an event like this. I think it's death by a thousand cuts. Prejudice is formed by a lifetime of experiences. Like it or not African Americans of all classes have got to accept the reality of this pervasive drone of awful behavior, incivility and criminality that is all too evident. Over and over, statistically supported ... yes media is dishonest but there's such a preponderance of this bad behavior that it's impossible for people to dismiss it as just unfair spin. Unless of course you're a white liberal brainwashed by ideology to such an extent that you can't see facts in front of your face. An example of how prejudice grows - the flash robs. Who's emptying Louis Vuitton, Zales and Walgreens? It's young African Americans virtually every time. How does anyone who sees these maddening things time after time ignore that fact and not add it to a mental model of where criminality is likely to reside on a demographic basis? That's the definition of prejudice. It's a subjective statistical mental model that the mind builds over time. We profile. Early identification of things is a self-defense mechanism. When you see someone who looks like a cop and is dressed in the uniform of a cop do you assume they're a cop? I do. I don't have to wait for the badge to think so. If you see a young woman in 4" lucite heels, fishnet stockings, a dress so short it's almost obscene and she's strutting down a city street at midnight you might reasonably conclude she's a hooker, right? It's profiling. Like all such models it will never be 100% accurate and that's where the hurt comes in. The people who don't fit the profile deal with an initial prejudicial response that can be hurtful. I profile. You profile. When I see an Asian woman get out of a car in a crowded parking lot and there's a sweet open space beside her I don't take it. I'll keep looking because I know I'm upping my odds of not getting a big fat door ding.
How do you think this affects non-Blacks?

The way I see it, Black Americans have been looked down on basically forever. Events like this just give some people that affirmation to see the Black population as uniformly troublesome. It's hard for me to be understanding because of what I've dealt with growing up. My thing is this. I don't want to be understanding of how someone became prejudice of Blacks. I don't want to deal with it. I might suspect where it comes from, but I'm not out there getting into fights and committing crime. The way I see it, my actions should count for me as an individual. I know per capita where alot of violent crime is coming from. This doesn't mean I'm going to be understanding of anyone who is prejudice of Black people. No. The time for that is long gone. If I'm not committing a crime, if I'm doing my part as a law-abiding person in society, I shouldn't have to go that extra mile to prove "see, most of us aren't like that". I get tired of it really fast. I would like to get to a point in my life where I will never have to deal with that ever again.

Here is the thing. How is prejudice going to help me survive? How is it going to help me in my life? So far, I'm not seeing it.

Quote:
The way I look at it is these people aren't my tribe. I disown them. Hell I was never close enough to them in the first place to need to disown them. I have the skin of a rhino (a black rhino ... see what I did?) and I also know that as soon as I open my mouth nobody mistakes me for one of them any further. All I can offer is that everybody has to be strong in their convictions and in who they are. I understand prejudice for what it is. Believe it or not it's not personal. It's the opposite of personal. Now if you continue to be profiled after someone gets an initial read on you then that's different. That might be hate and hey F those guys. They suck at life and are probably miserable people. Live well. It's the ultimate win against that type.
I don't look at underclass thugs as being part of me. I disown them. Sadly, it won't stop them from being thugs.

I view prejudice from this perspective. It can be something that will harm me. Someone might use it as a reason to say "I don't want this person working for my company"(job discrimination is still a thing. It's just now some people won't flat out express it). It could be used as a reason for someone to call the police on my because someone felt like "he doesn't belong in this neighborhood".

Old 07-24-2022, 02:01 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't know how much that would cost. I suspect that whoever paid for it might have spent quite some time saving up for it. I estimate that for a family of 5, a Disney resort vacation would cost about $7000 for 17 days. That's 3 kids, 2 adults. If both adults split the cost, it's $3500 each.
A lot, that's how much. There's no one single price that one can name, because there are quite a few variables. But let's say that a family of four flies to Orlando, stays in a hotel, and goes to Disney World for four days, plus two days (one on either end of the trip) to do other stuff. Here's a rough idea of what you're looking at:

Airfare: $1,400 (assumes $350 round-trip per person; this of course is highly variable)
Rental car: $700
Park admissions: $436 (park admission is based on a sliding scale, with the per-day cost going down as you buy more days)
Parking: $100
Food $560 (assume $70 per meal for lunch and dinner; if you eat at a sit-down restaurant, it will be vastly higher) plus another $300 for all other off-site meals
Souvenirs: $200 (what, you didn't think your kids are going to want souvenirs?)
Hotel: $1,200 (six days at $200 per night; this will be higher if you stay at a Disney property)

We're looking at roughly $5,000 for a family of four to spend less than a week at Disney World, and I can assure you that the food estimates are conservative. Assume a minimum of $12,000 for a family of five spending 17 days there.

Old 07-24-2022, 02:18 PM

2,326 posts, read 959,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
I can imagine how this affects non-blacks. I'm not sure anybody decides how they feel about black people on the basis of an event like this. I think it's death by a thousand cuts. Prejudice is formed by a lifetime of experiences. Like it or not African Americans of all classes have got to accept the reality of this pervasive drone of awful behavior, incivility and criminality that is all too evident. Over and over, statistically supported ... yes media is dishonest but there's such a preponderance of this bad behavior that it's impossible for people to dismiss it as just unfair spin. Unless of course you're a white liberal brainwashed by ideology to such an extent that you can't see facts in front of your face. An example of how prejudice grows - the flash robs. Who's emptying Louis Vuitton, Zales and Walgreens? It's young African Americans virtually every time. How does anyone who sees these maddening things time after time ignore that fact and not add it to a mental model of where criminality is likely to reside on a demographic basis? That's the definition of prejudice. It's a subjective statistical mental model that the mind builds over time. We profile. Early identification of things is a self-defense mechanism. When you see someone who looks like a cop and is dressed in the uniform of a cop do you assume they're a cop? I do. I don't have to wait for the badge to think so. If you see a young woman in 4" lucite heels, fishnet stockings, a dress so short it's almost obscene and she's strutting down a city street at midnight you might reasonably conclude she's a hooker, right? It's profiling. Like all such models it will never be 100% accurate and that's where the hurt comes in. The people who don't fit the profile deal with an initial prejudicial response that can be hurtful. I profile. You profile. When I see an Asian woman get out of a car in a crowded parking lot and there's a sweet open space beside her I don't take it. I'll keep looking because I know I'm upping my odds of not getting a big fat door ding.

The way I look at it is these people aren't my tribe. I disown them. Hell I was never close enough to them in the first place to need to disown them. I have the skin of a rhino (a black rhino ... see what I did?) and I also know that as soon as I open my mouth nobody mistakes me for one of them any further. All I can offer is that everybody has to be strong in their convictions and in who they are. I understand prejudice for what it is. Believe it or not it's not personal. It's the opposite of personal. Now if you continue to be profiled after someone gets an initial read on you then that's different. That might be hate and hey F those guys. They suck at life and are probably miserable people. Live well. It's the ultimate win against that type.

This doesn't happen in a vacuum. It's a vicious cycle. Blacks were mistreated for centuries. Even after slavery was abolished, they were marginalized and policed differently. Now, the ones with weak minds and zero hope for a better life are acting out.

There is no simple solution for this dilemma. Not only does the US employ divide and conquer tactics abroad, they use it here at home as well. You reap what you sow.

Old 07-24-2022, 02:20 PM

2,326 posts, read 959,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Statistics and Bluesclues5 -- What EXACTLY are you saying. From the decline in the U.S. to cannibalism? (I hope you are not being literal!!) That's quite a stretch!

I made no such leap to cannibalism.

Quote:
What is WRC? I still don't see how this is different from any other time.

World reserve currency. The thing that keeps our standard of living afloat.

Old 07-24-2022, 02:23 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
You would be way under. I spent around that in 2007 for 7 days. 4 people. 2 kids, 2 adults.

Old 07-24-2022, 02:25 PM

50,373 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Well, normally, when my husband and I took our kids on vacation, we didnt split the cost. Even at $7000. they would still have travel expenses.

All I know is my son, his wife, 4 year old and an infant, spent $400+ for one night and one park. They spend money like water, but even they couldn’t justify another day there.

Old 07-24-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
This doesn't happen in a vacuum. It's a vicious cycle. Blacks were mistreated for centuries. Even after slavery was abolished, they were marginalized and policed differently. Now, the ones with weak minds and zero hope for a better life are acting out.

There is no simple solution for this dilemma. Not only does the US employ divide and conquer tactics abroad, they use it here at home as well. You reap what you sow.
None of this has any quick solutions. If I were to look at this realistically from where we are now, I don't see this issue going away in my life time.

Old 07-24-2022, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Well, normally, when my husband and I took our kids on vacation, we didnt split the cost. Even at $7000. they would still have travel expenses.

All I know is my son, his wife, 4 year old and an infant, spent $400+ for one night and one park. They spend money like water, but even they couldn’t justify another day there.
Regardless of the cost, that's still alot of money, only to get banned from the place for fighting.

Old 07-24-2022, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Joe View Post
I don't know anybody who looks at every black person negatively. People do know how to categorize. It's a shame for the person who doesn't realize that.
I have met a few people who view Black people negatively. I've seen posts from people here on city-data indicating such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies