Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 04:32 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,530,267 times

Advertisements

After Clarence Thomas declared that the constitutional right to contraception should be reconsidered just like Roe was, Democrats passed a bill in the House of Representatives to make the right to contraception a federal law, despite Republican opposition, so that no American in any state would ever have to fear losing their access to contraception simply based on where they live:

House Dems pass Right to Contraception Act despite GOP opposition - MSNBC

Last edited by Member1; 07-23-2022 at 04:57 PM..

Old 07-23-2022, 04:41 PM

52,253 posts, read 52,668,250 times
I think some of this stuff gets lost in the finer details about what is federal vs state and a few other things along those lines.

The country was designed around the idea of states rights first with a more limited federal approach, as I understand it.

Old 07-23-2022, 04:43 PM

7,356 posts, read 3,527,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think some of this stuff gets lost in the finer details about what is federal vs state and a few other things along those lines.

The country was designed around the idea of states rights first with a more limited federal approach, as I understand it.
exactly. But what do you expect When a majority of people don’t even realize we live in a republic

Old 07-23-2022, 04:51 PM

25,959 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
After Clarence Thomas declared that the constitutional right to contraception should be overturned just like Roe was, Democrats passed a bill in the House of Representatives to make the right to contraception a federal law, despite Republican opposition, so that no American in any state would ever have to fear losing their access to contraception simply based on where they live:

First of all, Clarence Thomas DID NOT declare that the constitutional right to contraception should be overturned. He said like with abortion, the court may have wrongly made a determination on something that is a state's right to determine.

Rachel Maddow!

I suspect the concern is in the abortion pill as a means of birth control. They want to pretend it is condoms and birth control pills though. I hope they are specific, as this looks like another step toward making abortion legal. Boy, they are determined to find a way to do away with their babies. It will be that abortion is birth control at some point - watch!

Old 07-23-2022, 04:52 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Property rights are universal and absolute. Contraceptives are property.

The federal government need not grant a right that is already assumed to exist, so says the 9th Amendment.

The federal government has no enumerated power over property rights generally nor contraceptives specifically, so the 10th Amendment is also clear.

Thus, there is neither a need, valid excuse, nor constitutional justification for the federal government to be "granting" anything where contraception is concerned.

Simple.

Old 07-23-2022, 05:00 PM

18,459 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
After Clarence Thomas declared that the constitutional right to contraception should be reconsidered just like Roe was, Democrats passed a bill in the House of Representatives to make the right to contraception a federal law, despite Republican opposition, so that no American in any state would ever have to fear losing their access to contraception simply based on where they live:

Devil is in the details....

What else what is in the bill?

How is "right to contraception" defined??

If you can't afford contraception, do you have a "right" to make me pay for it?.

Details.... details.......

Old 07-23-2022, 05:04 PM

52,253 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
exactly. But what do you expect When a majority of people don’t even realize we live in a republic
I'm from the view that we need to govern as locally as we can, exceptions exist of course.

The pandemic really drove that point home as I haven't thought about it that much before the pandemic.

Old 07-23-2022, 05:08 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,232 times
Quote:

the Pelosi House, since the 2018 turnover of majority, has specialized in passing really stupid **** without bipartisan input just because she could. You can look up all the stupid straight party line votes that happened in early 2019 with nary a chance of passing any Senate we've seen for the last 30 years.

IF - and it's still an if - the R's win the House in November, I expect her to finally retire in 2024 rather than get kitched to Biden/Harris' wagon as a gadfly. She's on her last legs in power, legislatively, and frankly as a human being given her age.

Old 07-23-2022, 05:31 PM

Quote:

furthermore, you might consider listening to the Honestly podcast post-ruling, hosted by married lesbian Bari Weiss, a pro-choice, a pro-life (but not ban, a "safe legal and rare") and especially the "foremost constitutional scholar who was on the left, who explained that when Griswold was decided, that 49 of 50 states allowed contraception, and Griswold ruled against that lone holdout.

I know you won't, but just pointing this out.

Old 07-23-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
We already pay when people don’t use it in the form of Medicaid for prenatal/neonatal care. It doesn’t take a genius to realize that the math for about a $10-20 a month IUD, pill, ring, or other contraceptive is way cheaper than paying for all the visits involved with having a baby. Even with insurance, women tend to spend $5000-6000 out of pocket. The actual hospital bill is likely at least twice or even three times that, especially since there are states that now provide care to new moms for up to a year after delivery now. You can easily provide a woman with contraceptives for all her reproductive life for the cost of delivering one baby.
but she has to use them, properly. That's the hurdle we haven't decided to cross yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies