Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should those pharma ads on TV be illegal in the US like in most of the world ?
Yes 36 80.00%
No 9 20.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 06:30 AM

398 posts, read 206,737 times

Advertisements

Like many people I turned on the news this morning to see maybe what's going on in the world.

Those pharma ads, I got so angry for a moment I could have smashed something.

There already exists a thing called "buffer rage" buffer rage - Google Search

I hate those pharma ads with such a passion.

Anyone knows my posts I am all about freedom but IMO those ads are just wrong already. Its like harassments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 06:46 AM

8,772 posts, read 5,062,427 times
Yes....They should be illegal. It isn`t like you can go out and buy these drugs anyway. Your doctor is the only one who knows if the drug is right for you. Plus, they are so darn depressing.It is one of the reasons I only watch streaming and News.

Old 07-28-2022, 06:48 AM

12,993 posts, read 9,516,147 times
The purpose of those ads are so you will ask your doctor to prescribe them for you. That's not the way it's supposed to work - the doc is supposed to tell the patient what he needs to take, not the other way around.

Those ads should be pulled. Plus, they probably increase the fequency of hypochondria.

Old 07-28-2022, 06:54 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
As I understand it, the US and NZ are the only countries that allow Big Pharma to advertise directly to end consumers. Should not come as a surprise the US consumes more pharma per capita than other countries. The US dosage is also higher in many common meds than in other countries.

It is known that when a patient does as they were told and asks their doctor what XYZ can do for them, they are more likely to get a script for XYZ than a patient with similar symptoms who does not ask.

Old 07-28-2022, 06:55 AM

4,973 posts, read 2,715,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_too_sweet View Post
Like many people I turned on the news this morning to see maybe what's going on in the world.

There already exists a thing called "buffer rage" buffer rage - Google Search

I hate those pharma ads with such a passion.

Anyone knows my posts I am all about freedom but IMO those ads are just wrong already. Its like harassments.
I completely agree with you. That is one reason I don't watch TV anymore. You're trying to watch the news or a show for entertainment, when a pharma ad comes on with unpleasant health information that I'm not even going to mention here. This gets you upset. I tolerated that for awhile and then turned off my TV. I rarely watch anything unless it is YouTube where the commercials are short and usually don't have those pharma ads.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:01 AM

7,375 posts, read 3,536,587 times
no, i am not in favor of banning things i dont like. the pharmaceutical industry is all about pleasing shareholders. having worked for a major medical technology company, and big pharma for over a decade, i have seen first hand they are no better than big tobacco. For the people who want these commercials made illegal, are you that easily influenced by television commercials as to go out and say, hey I think I have that condition?

Old 07-28-2022, 07:03 AM

35,710 posts, read 21,070,199 times
They just show me one more thing to avoid. I’m only on thyroid and acid blockers -almost 70. Nobody’s running out to buy them so to me waste if their money unless it’s for Drs views

Old 07-28-2022, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Yes....They should be illegal. It isn`t like you can go out and buy these drugs anyway. Your doctor is the only one who knows if the drug is right for you. Plus, they are so darn depressing.It is one of the reasons I only watch streaming and News.
Streaming news...

Back in the days of the old uncensored internet the last of which I guess we saw in 2016 I did not have cable TV and would watch the news on streams that I would find.

One website, long gone it was from outside the US streaming US MSM and it was just ads for everyday things, refrigerators and carpet cleaners stuff like that it and it was so much more pleasant.

It is depressing. I am diabetic and I cant even watch the news without hearing the word "ketoacidosis" over and over and over again. Side effects may include death.

It was bad that moment or several moments of rage I felt listening to that same ad probably no joke over 10000 times a year. I was angry.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:11 AM

You know what those ads are like ?

The irritation of small biting insects. Gnats and mosquitos. You have no bug spray and there is no wind conditions are just right and those bugs are out and you have no chance of swatting them off you as fast as they come.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:14 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,558,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_too_sweet View Post

Sounds like you need some relaxation meds.

I've always found Rx ads to be weird. They just don't exist in Europe, if you need a medication, your doctor recommends them on an as-needed basis. I'm not a doctor, I likely don't understand the associated risks with medications, why on earth are the ads targeted at me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies